Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shield reroll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca Tolomelli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you reroll a defense die with a shield, do you have to keep the second result?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In short, yes.

The relic "Shield of the Dark God" specifically lets you keep the better of the rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. A re-roll replaces the previous result, unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Edit: Ninj'd ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Tolomelli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the "Heavy Steel Shield" isn't that good, since to get the 1 point of damage reduction you have to reroll one of your defense dice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, it's good. Often you find yourself rerolling with a shield anyways. In fact, the only time I wouldn't is if A) I rolled max shields or B) had enough defense to stop the attack. I might hesitate if I had near max shields (i.e. 2 on a gray or 3 on a black), but if I rolled 0 or min shields, I would definitely reroll and have the advantage of +1 shield.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if you roll a grey defense die and you're using the Heavy Steel Shield, it makes sense to reroll 2/3 of the time. If you rolled the blank, then you obviously want to reroll as your defense can only get better. If you roll a 1, then you still want to reroll, because you have a 5/6 chance of getting a better result and a 1/6 chance of being no worse off. I wouldn't reroll a grey defense die if I rolled a 2 or a 3.

The black defense die is a bit trickier, because you could potentially have a worse result if you reroll a 2, but even then, the chances are 1/6. You still stand to gain more in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.