Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Dear Naval Wargame Santa rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
Avatar
mb
I'm looking to buy a naval wargame for my Xmas present but I want one with those big thick counters that land-based wargames get.

Any suggestions?

I already have Serpents of the Seas, and I'm not looking for another Flying Colors game. I had Silent War, but it was a lot of set-up time for a game I always lost so badly on.

What's new, available, and full of Xmas bling?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactical naval is one area where miniatures rules do a good job. Check out some of the reviews of those rules. You can start by using paper counter instead of miniatures.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Long
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do yourself a favor and pre-order yourself Rebel Raiders on the High Seas from GMT games. It's due out in the first quarter of the year, and is, quite frankly, unlike any American Civil War game you've ever seen.
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about miniatures rules, also 1/6000 ships are cheap and awesome looking.

Anyways for board wargames two L2 games are very high quality.

Grand Fleet and War at Sea (third edition)

As L2 is having a warehouse sale right now you may get a discount as well!

I have heard great things about PQ-17: Arctic Naval Operations 1941-1943 but sadly has no solo rules so wont suit me and judging by your tag you are the same.

4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
dave3l wrote:
Do yourself a favor and pre-order yourself Rebel Raiders on the High Seas from GMT games. It's due out in the first quarter of the year, and is, quite frankly, unlike any American Civil War game you've ever seen.


Would you recommend it to someone as their first (perhaps only) naval game? I have a keen interest in the era, but not much interest in the genre.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rodvik wrote:
I have heard great things about PQ-17: Arctic Naval Operations 1941-1943 but sadly has no solo rules so wont suit me and judging by your tag you are the same.


I think naval games solo best when the ships are already within sight. The cat-and-mouse of the search is hard to do solo. If you want that aspect, I'm not sure what is out now, but the old Harpoon computer game was a blast.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mwindsor wrote:
rodvik wrote:
I have heard great things about PQ-17: Arctic Naval Operations 1941-1943 but sadly has no solo rules so wont suit me and judging by your tag you are the same.


I think naval games solo best when the ships are already within sight. The cat-and-mouse of the search is hard to do solo. If you want that aspect, I'm not sure what is out now, but the old Harpoon computer game was a blast.


I think thats generally right, although some of the larger scale ones can be good. I also still adore 2nd Fleet and the fleet series which can be soloed.

I think the bugger about PQ17 is the scenario is one of the few which actually could have solo rules for it (IE: it is not a typical board maneuver situation). Anyways I digress.

Is the great war at sea stuff soloable? I own one but confess I havent yet played it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Naval Thunder: Clash of Dreadnoughts and the rest of the Naval Thunder system is available as cheap downloads from Steel Dreadnought games:

http://www.navalthunder.com/

For "thick counters" I doubt if anything beats these 1:2400 resin Panzerschiffe models for the price:

http://www.panzerschiffe.com/Catalog.html

But for cardboard, it might be worth trying out Avalanche Press products such as:

Great War at Sea: The Mediterranean
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff miller
United States
West Jefferson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta put in a plug for Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures: War at Sea. The minis are great and widely available, and if you don't like the rules that come with the game just use the components as a game system for your own favorite naval miniatures ruleset. I like the game for its simplicity myself. Its the stat cards that really make it shine IMO.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rodvik wrote:
I agree about miniatures rules, also 1/6000 ships are cheap and awesome looking.

Anyways for board wargames two L2 games are very high quality.

Grand Fleet and War at Sea (third edition)

As L2 is having a warehouse sale right now you may get a discount as well!

I have heard great things about PQ-17: Arctic Naval Operations 1941-1943 but sadly has no solo rules so wont suit me and judging by your tag you are the same.



I second the L2 recommendation for War at Sea and Grand Fleet. Both are very good games, and the L2 production is first rate. Here's a session report I wrote of one of my Grand Fleet plays, which should help provide a window on how this game looks and plays...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/653339/the-memoirs-of-ad...

Some pics of Grand Fleet:

2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Long
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebel Raiders really isn't so much a naval game as it is a strategic Civil War game focused on the naval aspects with land operations abstracted into the system, rather than the usual land focus with abstract naval ops.

It's a card enhanced game, as each side has a deck that represents certain ships/personages/events that can be played to bring a benefit for their side, but the cards don't drive the game.

GMT's website with examples of play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.