Subject: Required Power (Orion Variant) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Bennett
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
It seems to be the consensus that orion is the strongest of the races, and I think that a large part of this is due to the fact that they can so easily defeat ancients early by replacing their cruiser's power source with hull (or something of the like).

To fix this, I was thinking that all ships would be required to have at least one internal power source, with the obvious exception of starbases.

This would have no effect on the other races, as they would still need to power all their ships, but it would put a damper on Orion's early land-grab towards the center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion is a strong early military force, but that's their only advantage. Requiring them to have at minimum 5 power on their cruiser is going to be a huge waste until they scrape together enough resources to research some power hungry techs.

Orion never seems overpowered in the games I have played since most of the other players are scared of them. Against Orion, other players are inclined to: Close borders, purchase combat techs for denial, think extra hard about exchanging ambassadors, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lindvall
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're strong but tech dependent as much as anyone else. If other players are getting the Hulls and Cannons and stuff and they aren't, their early game advantage will disappear.

If you nerf Plasma Missiles in your games, you'll wish you hadn't once you realize what they're for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.