Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: Please note on the poll of Act 1 quests, I accidently have "Heroes" where "OverLord" was clearly intended. Please vote accordingly.

I apologize for any little textual mistakes you may see. It's the first time I've put together a thread with several polls.

Poll: Most Valuable Character/Class
Welcome to the Poll of Polls. I have included a series of polls on different aspects in Descent. Please give your opinions. When applicable, assume only the use of the base game in making your choices.
15. In a 2 hero setup, which side does the game favor?
Strongly favors the heroes
Slightly favors the heroes
Generally balanced
Slightly favors the OverLord
Strongly favors the OverLord
16. In a 3 hero setup, which side does the game favor?
Strongly favors the Heroes
Slightly favors the Heroes
Generally balanced
17. In a 4 hero setup, which side does the game favor?
Strongly favors the Heroes
Slightly favors the Heroes
Generally balanced
18. Which side do the Act 1 quests generally favor?
(Included is the Introduction and Interlude Quests)
  Strongly Heroes Slightly Heroes Generally Balanced Slightly Heroes Strongly Heroes
First Blood
A Fat Goblin
Castle Daerion
The Cardinal's Plight
The Masquerade Ball
Death on the Wing
The Shadow Vault (Int 1)
The OverLord Revealed (Int 2)
19. Which side do the Act 2 Quests generally favor?
(Included is the Finale Quests)
  Strongly Heroes Slightly Heroes Generally Balanced Slightly OverLord Strongly OverLord
The Monster's Hoard
The Frozen Spire
The DawnBlade
The Desecrated Tomb
Enduring the Elements
The Ritual of Shadows
Blood of Heroes
The Twin Idols
The Wyrm Turns
The Wyrn Rises
Gryvorn Unleashed (Fin 1)
The Man Who Would Be King (Fin 2)
20. Who is the most useful/valuable Hero?
Syndrael
Grisban
Avric
Ashrian
Jane
Tomble
Leoric
Widow
21. Which is the most useful/valuable class?
Warrior
Berserker
Disciple
SpiritSpeaker
WildLander
Thief
RuneMaster
Necromancer
22. Which is the most valuable character/class combination?
Syndrael/Warrior
Syndrael/Berserker
Grisban/Warrior
Grisban/Berserker
Avric/Disciple
Avric/SpiritSpeaker
Ashrian/Disciple
Ashrian/SpiritSpeaker
Jane/WildLander
Jane/Thief
Tomble/WildLander
Tomble/Thief
Leoric/RuneMaster
Leoric/Necromancer
Widow/RuneMaster
Widow/Necromancer
      122 answers
Poll created by dustwhit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Act I quests, options are :

Strongly heroes
Slightly heroes
Generally balanced
Slightly heroes
Strongly heroes

Guess none of them have any favor for the OL .

Funny, soon should have 3 campaigns done, but haven't seen half the Act II quests, mostly because I keep winning Act I quests as OL, so most of the hero-win Act I quests haven't been available. Three Finales also, all have been Man Who Would Be King (third campaign still has the third Act II quest to go, but since I've won the first two, Finale is already fixed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, sorry about that. Please see the edit above. I didn't see a way to edit the poll after saving it. Please vote according to what was intended for those slots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite having this game for awhile, my group has only just finished one campaign, so we only have opinions on nine of the twenty quests. It will be interesting to see how this poll looks with more data, however I think a more useful thing to ask would be simply, "When you played this quest, who won?" With enough people responding, that would still show the trend, and be less subjective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
It will be interesting to see how this poll looks with more data, however I think a more useful thing to ask would be simply, "When you played this quest, who won?" With enough people responding, that would still show the trend, and be less subjective.

Yeah, that's a good thought. How would you take into consideration a quest being played multiple times?; "The majority of the time, who won this quest?" It could become just as subjective when players are remembering multiple plays. You also might lose some valid data about how slanted the win was; whether slight or decisive. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if the polls here allow for it, but a way to tally would be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wann
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has quickly discovered the power of the Wildlander specifically the skill Danger Sense.

We have only really played 4 heroes. the wildlander is always using danger sense to really screw with the overlord. It becomes a really powerful skill when the OL has no cards left in his hand after a big play. My heroes would then aim to continually use Danger Sense even if it meant Jain does nothing else.

Try playing some quests as the OL when you have no cards and are up against effectively 3 heroes. You get creamed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting (early) tally so far in regards to the Act 2 quests; they're all considered equally balanced down the line. Well, I'm not sure what 4-5 votes really signifies yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Close to 10 votes in each Act2 quest now. That starts to make the data interesting. From my experience, I agree with what I'm seeing so far. Out of the Act 2 quests, it is my current opinion that the Dawnblade/Duskblade quests are both in favor of the Overlord Slightly. I also think The Man Who Would be King slightly favors the Overlord as well.

The Monster's Hoard is currently the most balanced out of all Act 2 quests. I think I agree with it being balanced. I personally won this quest handily as the OL on both encounters, but it had more to do with the heroes making some mistakes that I capitalized on.

The Twin Idols was an interesting one; I can't really conceive of a way that the OL can win the 1st encounter before the heroes, but it doesn't really have a substantial effect on the second encounter, which I do think is balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like act 2 quests are generally more balanced than act 1 quest. Many people get discouraged by Castle Daerion followed by Cardinal's Plight. Too bad those are 2nd and 3rd quest on the list, as it's quite natural to try quests in order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasuya Meshima
msg tools
I did not expect most of people feeling all the Act2 Quests (including Finales) balanced... I feel it weakly balanced: just some bad dice rolled and heroes are defeated (for example, just one bad defense rolling can make you die with a single hit of some monsters and, if you do it sometimes in the same quest be sure you're losing that). In act 1 quests you can deal with that bad defense rolling due low act 1 monsters' damage.

But Avric/Disciple being the most valuable (also as a hero combination) is totally expected.

It's the same D&D's fault (before 4th edition), if someone knows the game. All groups *must* have a disciple (especially Avric/Disciple) as all D&D groups playing in previous editions *must* have a cleric.

I find it ridiculous. It would be more interesting having a great access to healing without skills as the healing skills from heroes are limited (but still good), so you will not obligated to have a Disciple in game every campaign.

I hope they, at least, make more functional base healer, not just secondaries healers (like Spirit Speaker).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are early results on Act 2. As I've played more, I've intended to come back here and adjust what I originally voted on, which I don't even remember what I necessarily chose on some quests. I imagine there are others that would adjust their choices over time. In short though, my impression is that there is partiality in the Act2 quests as oppossed to the current voting which reflects things as generally balanced. I should note that I don't mind the quests necessarily slightly favoring one side over another; i think that adds to the element of choosing which quests you want to risk or not, and adds to the sense of needing to win each quest that you can, so that your opponent can't chose the next quest.

While I think that a Disciple is generally the way to go, I disagree that a party has to have a Disciple/Healer to succeed. In fact, there are some fun options to try without a Healer, but I'm not inclined to try them over the course of an entire Campaign as of now.

I also think the game does a good job of creating ancillary routes to heal party members besides the Healer, without losing the distinct advantage and identity of the Healer; ie: potions, items, misc abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasuya Meshima
msg tools
Quote:
While I think that a Disciple is generally the way to go, I disagree that a party has to have a Disciple/Healer to succeed.

In D&D 3e the group can succeed in their campaign without a cleric. But it becomes clearly harder. And I'm talking about a RPG, the Dungeon Master want to keep the heroes alive to keep telling a story, so he will try to balance the encounters and something.

But, it's a potential problem for Descent in a way that the encounter balancing/scaling is pre-built and there is no change and, yet, differently from DM, the OL wants to win.

Yes, I played some 2-heroes off quests without Disciple and still won, so I think it's possible, but it's harder, just because of one class. I think it is too much value in just only one class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Flumontanus
Germany
M√ľnchen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
...maybe Update this poll for the Expansions?! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.