Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing like family, friends and games...and music and beer...and pizza and bean dip...and actually having time to play games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning!: the following session report contains spoilers for the following packets:

All 9 minor cities placed
Player signs the winner’s section twice
Player eliminated
3+ missiles used on the same combat roll

If you choose to read further, I’m assuming you’ve opened all of these packets, so nothing has been hidden. You’ve officially been warned.

Previously on Earth #11844: a bunch of stuff happened.

After an unplanned six-month hiatus, our group finally got back together for two more games. This was pretty much our last chance to do so before the holidays, and fortunately it worked out. Although some of us had a lot more fun than others (keep reading), we definitely closed out the year with a flourish: every player in our group now has at least one win, Khan Industries’ improbable winning streak was broken, and we opened up a new packet. All three of these made for a memorable afternoon/evening and gave our group a jolt as we head into the back half of The War To Name The World.

We should have known what sort of day we were in for when Matt arrived bearing these:

Game #7:

Matt chooses Imperial Balkania and starts in Eastern Australia
Tony chooses Saharan Republic and starts in Afghanistan
Zak chooses Khan Industries and starts in Siberia
Gretchen chooses Die Mechaniker and starts in Northwest Territory
Jeremy chooses Enclave Of The Bear and starts in Peru

Jeremy won the game. End of report.

*Sigh* Okay, fine. This game will be forever remembered as The Game Where The Fallout Scar Was Placed, and it happened when Zak attacked me in Afghanistan. Zak and I each played a missile, and Matt played one basically just so we could open the packet. Everyone’s jaw hit the ground when I produced the Mutant faction, and then we all died laughing and issued variants of the phrase “Holy shit!” as the rest of the packet’s contents were revealed and put into play. Matt chose to place the Fallout sticker on Afghanistan, causing that territory to be ruined forever and reducing my forces to a smoldering husk. I only lasted another few rounds, and to add insult to injury, I didn’t even get to place a comeback power on my faction card because it already had one...that was placed by me, the last time I played them. Sonofabitch.

Meanwhile, Jeremy had quietly acquired enough resource cards to purchase his third Red Star, and all eyes were now on North America, where Gretchen was spread a bit thin. Matt and Jeremy both made concerted efforts to take her HQ: Zak had put most of his efforts into trying to take me out and had kind of forgotten to try to win the game. On two successive turns, Jeremy launched unsuccessful attacks, but was repelled by Die Mechaniker’s fortified HQ ability. (This was the first time this ability had really come into play: that thing is nasty.) Matt eventually attacked and failed, but whittled Gretchen’s defenses down enough that Jeremy was able to finish her off on his turn and earn his fourth Red Star for his first win. As a reward, he named North America “Wal’Murica”. Heh.

Game #8:

Matt chooses Die Mechaniker and starts in Scandinavia
Tony chooses Mutants and starts in China
Zak chooses Imperial Balkania and starts in Peru
Gretchen chooses Khan Industries and starts in Central America
Jeremy chooses Saharan Republic and starts in Eastern Australia

This game got off to a promising start before it even began, with Gretchen and Zak beginning the game practically right next to each other. (This also prevented me from starting in Ellaopolis where I might actually be able to take advantage of the Biohazard scar there. I did the next best thing and started near the Fallout, but more on that later.) They got into it right away, leaving both of them pretty weakened. This gave Matt an opportunity, having survived a showdown with Jeremy in the Middle East in what may have been our biggest battle in a game to date. He was able to swoop in and take three HQs in one turn - Zak’s, Gretchen’s and mine. For his reward, Matt honored his wife by re-naming Africa “Deidretopia (Aww...)”. (That’s its full legal name.)

Here’s a terribly blurry picture of our board after eight games. I’m planning to take a better picture and share it later, but this will give you an idea.

(Note: the fortification on Gumdrop City in the Middle East has been depleted.)

Random observations:

*Win count: Matt 3, Tony 2, and one apiece for Jeremy, Zak and Gretchen. By faction: Khan Industries 5, Die Mechaniker 2, Enclave Of The Bear 1, and zero for everyone else.
*After being the "punching bag" faction for so long, Imperial Balkania got a much-needed boost by becoming The Bringer Of Nuclear Fire. There was a debate over how to pronounce “Balkania”, but as far as I’m concerned we should just start referring to them by their new bad-ass title.
*For now at least, it’s hard to imagine the Mutants not getting picked in every game, and as long as that holds true someone will probably be picking The Bringer Of Nuclear Fire. I was a little surprised that, for our first game with six factions to choose from, Enclave Of The Bear was the odd one out. That faction has become a bit of a favorite in our group.
*I’m not prepared to call Saharan Republic our new “cursed” faction yet, since they’ve only really had two terrible games, and both times I was playing them. Their starting ability/comeback power combo is potentially very powerful, but has also proven to be very tricky to use successfully.
*All six continents have now been renamed, so it’ll be interesting to see what the winners choose for their endgame rewards now. After what happened to Ellaopolis in Game 4, no one has been in a hurry to place another Major City, but that could change.
*Speaking of Ellaopolis: my main motivation for winning again (other that pure, satisfying revenge) has been to cancel the Biohazard scar there. However, now if I do that it would severely weaken the Mutants, since there are no other Biohazards in play and it doesn’t look like there will be anytime soon.
*One final note on Ellaopolis: the Biohazard did not deter Gretchen from occupying Western United States in both games. I admired this greatly, and placed a coin on the Western US card to reward future such bravery.
*As the Mutants, I successfully completed the mission on their Faction card to earn a Red Star. However, I missed the rule where Mutants treat the Fallout territory as a Biohazard, meaning I missed out on earning some troops. There’s no way this could have swayed the outcome, but we’ll remember next time.
*Resource card update: India is now worth 6 coins, Peru us worth 4, and we have several worth 3.
*As much as I have a reputation of being overly protective of my games, it was actually Gretchen who audibly winced when I ripped up the Afghanistan card.
*I can’t help but wonder how the people who are going to a lot of trouble to make their copies of Risk Legacy “resettable” are going to deal with the scratch-off components associated with the Mutants.

Finally, some closing thoughts. I personally bore the brunt of the damage from the “3+ missiles” packet, and I won’t lie to you: at the time, it really freakin’ sucked. I’d even go so far as to say that, once I was effectively out of the game, it was some of the least fun I’ve had playing a game in years. But now that it’s all said and done, I don’t mind and actually think it may have been worth it. If this was any other game, or if Risk Legacy had an option to be “reset”, then this would have been just another crazy thing that happened in a board game. But it’s FOREVER, and we have no idea what ramifications it will have down the road. Think also about the other time I was hosed by the Biohazard on Ellaopolis. Ever since it happened, I’ve been trying to manage another win so I could cancel it. Now I’m actually thinking about keeping a Biohazard on the Major City I placed because I don’t want to weaken the Mutants. Who could have predicted that?

I can live with the occasional frustration. This game is an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I can't wait to play again.

If you'd like to comment on this report but want to discuss packets our group hasn't opened yet, please either be as vague as possible or use spoiler tags. For reference, our group has yet to open the following:

World Capital about to go on the board
Someone is about to place 30+ troops and has a missile
German Bonus cards (all 3 Biohazard Scars have been placed)
Do Not Open. Ever.

EDIT: Links to the rest of the series:

Games 1 & 2
Games 3 & 4
Games 5 & 6
Games 9 & 10
Game 11
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sprengeler
msg tools
A Monologue from the Risk Legacy Villain
I told my wife (Deidre) that I had conquered the world and named Africa after her. She was surprisingly excited -- until it got to the Awww... part of the name. That doesn't please her, as she is a woman largely devoid of shmoopy sentimentality. Thing is, it's part of the official name now. I wrote it on the board. So we have a situation where the people of Deidretopia (Awww...) are riven by faction, half of them using the continent's full name while the other half truncate it according to the will of their namesake. Glorious!

Games 7 and 8 were perhaps the two best in what's been a uniformly excellent series. I'm sad to hear that you didn't enjoy 7, which was otherwise the most exciting game yet. But not that sad because I NUKED YOUR HEADQUARTERS AND RENDERED YOU A DISCONCOLATE AND WANDERING PEOPLE LEFT TO THE MERCY OF THE MERCILESS ZAK. Between my Game 7 responsibility for destroying Afghanistan and my ruthlessness in Game 8, I think I'm the clear Risk Legacy Villain now. BEHOLD THE POWER OF CONQUEST FUEL! I fully expect that Games 9 and 10 will start with everyone else uniting to destroy me. Which would be cool, because then we could get some more comeback powers into play.

These games also saw some of my long-term plans come to fruition. The Battle Of Gumdrop City will go down in the history of Earth 11844 as the greatest conflict to date -- thanks in part to the fortification I placed there after Game 4. The Middle East and Russia form the spine of the Risk board. Anyone who wants to control Asia or Europe needs both of those territories. I fortified Gumdrop City (and I think I put the bunker in Russia) because I knew that someday I'd want to control one or both continents. AND IT WORKED. ONCE. ALMOST.

I've played enough vanilla Risk to know that it's very hard to win if Europe is your starting continent. You need to reinforce something like 6 territories just to defend your border, as opposed to the 3 for North America or the 4 for Asia. But in Game 8, nobody was anywhere near Europe, and I started with 10 troops -- it was time to try it. And that fortification in Gumdrop City slowed Jeremy just enough to buy me one more turn. That was all I needed. And all I had, since Zak was about to eviscerate Europe from the south and Jeremy was on the verge of deploying 30 troops at once.

That's all for now. BUT I STILL FEEL MONOLOGUE BUBBLING UP INSIDE ME LIKE MELTY CHEESE INSIDE SOME KIND OF FRIED FOOD. And I still have capital letters to use up, so I'll be back...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing like family, friends and games...and music and beer...and pizza and bean dip...and actually having time to play games...
mbmbmbmbmb
sprenge777 wrote:
I'm sad to hear that you didn't enjoy 7, which was otherwise the most exciting game yet.

I should clarify this. As an observer, and someone who appreciates the game greatly, the nuke going off and scarring that area forever is awesome. As the person whom it happened to, that part almost ruined my night. I did recover and enjoy myself during the second game, where I broke in the Mutants for our group.

Quote:
Between my Game 7 responsibility for destroying Afghanistan and my ruthlessness in Game 8, I think I'm the clear Risk Legacy Villain now. BEHOLD THE POWER OF CONQUEST FUEL! I fully expect that Games 9 and 10 will start with everyone else uniting to destroy me. Which would be cool, because then we could get some more comeback powers into play.

I am prepared to call you the Tywin Lannister of our world. I would never call you the Joffrey, though. I wouldn't do that to anybody, really. Hold on, I'll come up with Game Of Thrones equivalencies for our entire group. I fear I am Eddard Stark. And I, too, am eager to see more comeback powers.

Quote:
The Middle East and Russia form the spine of the Risk board. Anyone who wants to control Asia or Europe needs both of those territories.

And now those two territories are bordered by the Fallout scar, and there are three Fallout cards in the Event deck. Granted, they'll eventually be destroyed, but they're there for now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sprengeler
msg tools
Oooh, more Fallout cards? I'm curious to see what they do -- you may be the only one who's looked at them, unless you showed Gretchen.

On a related note, I'd like to see more Mission cards come into play. I think we've only had one or maybe two of them claimed ever since their debut. It's usually been easier to just gank somebody else's HQ than to meet whatever standard is on the card -- I'm curious if this is a deliberate design feature, a result of our group's particular dynamics, an unintended consequence, a misreading of rules on our part... it seems like Missions should be happening more often.

Also, I'm pleased and proud to be the Tywin. And [spoiler? has anyone not read these books?] my children are too large to crawl through the ductwork, removing a potential vulnerability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sprenge777 wrote:
Oooh, more Fallout cards? I'm curious to see what they do -- you may be the only one who's looked at them, unless you showed Gretchen.

The Fallout cards in the Event deck cause every territory adjacent to the Fallout territory (again, Afghanistan in our world) to lose one die worth of troops. After that, the card is destroyed. Not the end of the world, but it could be a big deal if there's a lot of action in that area. And with the "spine" of the board right there, as you pointed out, and India also sitting right there with its 6 coins, it could make a difference.

Quote:
On a related note, I'd like to see more Mission cards come into play. I think we've only had one or maybe two of them claimed ever since their debut. It's usually been easier to just gank somebody else's HQ than to meet whatever standard is on the card -- I'm curious if this is a deliberate design feature, a result of our group's particular dynamics, an unintended consequence, a misreading of rules on our part... it seems like Missions should be happening more often.

I agree. Frankly though, some of those Missions are pretty difficult. It's possible that we're about to see a bunch of Major Cities places in the next few games, which could make those Missions easier, and more coins on cards could lead to more troops on the board, which means it might be easier for someone to win a lot of battles on one turn. The World Capital mission is more of a waiting game - the Mission card and the right territory both need to come up at once. And I have no idea when we'll be placing the sea line.

Quote:
Also, I'm pleased and proud to be the Tywin. And [spoiler? has anyone not read these books?] my children are too large to crawl through the ductwork, removing a potential vulnerability.

Still working on a response to this one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carollo
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
I have been greatly enjoying your recaps. You know a game is good when someone outside of the game is aggravated that you don't play more often because they want to read about it.

You should consider editing the ends of your posts with links to the new session reports once you play them, so you can seamlessly read through them instead of having to hunt for the next one.

And if it makes you feel any better, the group I am playing with has played 6 games on our board so far, of which I have won 4. I also talk a LOT of smack at the table. They all want me dead every game.

I also don't play to keep any sort of balance for the factions, I play to win. In this game and all future games. I have a fortified major city in Brazil on a Merc Scar, I try to get Balkania as much as possible because I gave them the extra Merc power, and I have named South America. I brought the Nuclear Fire with Balkania and ruined Ontario (And my future plans of making North America my future stronghold), placed a couple of Ammo Shortages in Central Europe and Russia so Europe is impossible to hold, and put a -1 troop bonus on Australia which has one major city and 3 minor cities. Also, Argentina has an Ammo Shortage scar, so if anyone starts in Southern South America to block me from my major city, that ammo shortage makes getting in the back door from Central America an easy task.

I can't wait until we get the Bio-Hazard scars in the game because Africa is WAAAY to pristine. I'm going to destroy this world and then make it mine. And with 4 starting missiles (6 if I snag Balkania) and weak starting positions for half the board, if they don't all come after me hard in every game from here on out they are all doomed. DOOMED I SAY! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *cough* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *cough* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *choke* haha *gasp*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlaqSkywalker wrote:
I have been greatly enjoying your recaps. You know a game is good when someone outside of the game is aggravated that you don't play more often because they want to read about it.

You should consider editing the ends of your posts with links to the new session reports once you play them, so you can seamlessly read through them instead of having to hunt for the next one.

Thank you! Always nice to hear that someone is enjoying my efforts. I'll pass your comments along to the group: they'll no doubt be pleased, and will also want to play again. And good idea about putting links on the other reports: I'll do that when I get a chance.

Quote:
And if it makes you feel any better, the group I am playing with has played 6 games on our board so far, of which I have won 4. I also talk a LOT of smack at the table. They all want me dead every game.

Sounds like you are the Matt of your world. Has the rest of your group ganged up on you yet?

Quote:
I also don't play to keep any sort of balance for the factions, I play to win. In this game and all future games.

This is the correct way to play. I've talked to a few people (and seen more here on BGG) who are considering this game, but are worried about some factions becoming overpowered, or the game not being interesting anymore after 15 plays, or whatever. I just tell them to play to win every time and the rest will work itself out.

Quote:
I can't wait until we get the Bio-Hazard scars in the game because Africa is WAAAY to pristine. I'm going to destroy this world and then make it mine.

Is this your second board, or were you spoiled as to the existence of the Bio-Hazards?

Quote:
And with 4 starting missiles (6 if I snag Balkania) and weak starting positions for half the board, if they don't all come after me hard in every game from here on out they are all doomed. DOOMED I SAY! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *cough* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *cough* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *choke* haha *gasp*

*backs slowly away*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carollo
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools

Quote:
Sounds like you are the Matt of your world. ;) Has the rest of your group ganged up on you yet?

They keep trying to, but they can't maintain their focus. In one of our recent games I started in Australia and it got hit with a Bio-hazard Scar before my first turn. So I took all of Australia but that territory, built a roadblock in Indonesia, and from there I would do nothing for a turn, then use my recruits to hit a territory for a 2+ coin card but leave my troops strung out, they would get killed and I would do it again.

I had no real army built up, was getting no continent bonus, and had no chance of getting into my stronghold in South America (New Hell, as I have named it), so they kept fighting with each other since I wasn't a threat. They didn't notice me quietly taking a 2 coin card, a 3 coin card, a 2 coin card, then a 4 coin card. Then I dropped 33 troops on the board, opened the 30+ Troops packet, and destroyed them. 9 games in and I am 6-3.

We all change factions, but if I have the chance to play Balkania, I always grab them. They have the Expand 4+ for a card and +1 on Merc scars, and are the BoNF. I think at this point if I start with them in South America (MErc Scar + Major City in Brazil, +1 Bonus, and Named) I can just take all of SA, defend my two gateway territories using any and all of my missiles in the first round or two, and I will be getting 9 troops a turn with just those 4 territories. If they throw themselves on my sword early and I missile them down, by the beginning of turn three I may well be unstoppable.

Quote:
Quote:
I also don't play to keep any sort of balance for the factions, I play to win. In this game and all future games.

This is the correct way to play. I've talked to a few people (and seen more here on BGG) who are considering this game, but are worried about some factions becoming overpowered, or the game not being interesting anymore after 15 plays, or whatever. I just tell them to play to win every time and the rest will work itself out.

It does do that. Balkania has a lot of advantages, but it also has so many disadvantages now that no one else wants to play them.

Quote:
Is this your second board, or were you spoiled as to the existence of the Bio-Hazards?

The game itself spoils Bio-Hazards once you open the 3 Missiles pack, what with the rules on the Mutants and all. The only packet I had spoiled for me was the drafting from the 9 Minor Cities packet, and that wasn't disturbing in the least. Actually, it was nice knowing one good roll by me at the beginning wouldn't end the game before it started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.