The Hotness has gone cold...
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like this ship is way over priced for what it is. Its attack and defense is identical to a Y-wing. It has one more shield and one more hull. For this it is worth 27 points while the cheapest Y-wing is worth 18. Plus, it has a pilot skill of 1 while the Gold Y-wing has a pilot skill of 2. This is a big deal for a Rebel since they are often going to be facing lots of Skill 1 Academy TIEs.

And if you give the Base Y-wing an Ion cannon raising it to 23, it will also have a 360 firing arc with three attack die. The base smuggler only gets 2 attack die. Now, granted, the attack strategy of the TIEs will be to get in close so they can roll three attack die, giving the smuggler three as well, but he is still only likely to do one damage, which is what an Ion cannon can do from range 2 with additional benefits besides the damage. Plus the Y-wing has a lot more upgrades available with Astromech droids. If you give a base Y-wing an Ion cannon and R2-D2, the two ships will both be at 27 points. R2-D2 more than makes up for the two missing hit points, and I prefer the Ion cannon to a 360 2-die attack weapon. We haven't even talked about projectiles. A Y-wing can carry two sets of proton torpedoes while the smuggler gets nothing.

If they had given the smuggler a skill of 2-3, and kept the attack at 3 but reduced the shields and hull from the Falcon the same way and priced it at 33-35, it would definitely be worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Doing a regular attack for multiple and critical damage over the ion in 360 is a pretty big advantage.

Also, a shield and a hull are pretty freakin huge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A shield and a hull is 2/3 the damage absorption of a TIE (plus a shield is better than a hull since it absorbs crits).

That plus the automatic 360 range should account for 9 points difference between the GS Y-wing and the YT-1300 smuggler I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
magadizer wrote:
A shield and a hull is 2/3 the damage absorption of a TIE (plus a shield is better than a hull since it absorbs crits).

That plus the automatic 360 range should account for 9 points difference between the GS Y-wing and the YT-1300 smuggler I think.

I understand that 2 hits is 2/3 of a TIE, but TIEs have 3 agility. This ship only has 1, which means it receives hits at a rate much higher than a TIE.

I just don't see much strategic use from this pilot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
magadizer wrote:

I understand that 2 hits is 2/3 of a TIE, but TIEs have 3 agility. This ship only has 1, which means it receives hits at a rate much higher than a TIE.

I just don't see much strategic use from this pilot.

I agree, it is overpriced. Agility and firepower are so much more important than damage capacity, but the pricing structure doesn't seem to take this into account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Cereto
Switzerland
Lufingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The smuggler can attach two co-Pilots, which are very strong. And they are worth the points!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Breuch
Germany
Kettig
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
small ship and medium ship?
Other rules if hit by an ion-weapon.
Bigger base means a longer distance while moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
:l
mbmb
Zyankalium wrote:

Right, but it also means that it'll be a slightly more difficult to move it around obstacles and/or past other ships. It'll be a lot of fun fielding it I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Breuch
Germany
Kettig
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But it also means that it'll be a slightly more difficult for other ships to move around or past it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gripen wrote:
Zyankalium wrote:

Right, but it also means that it'll be a slightly more difficult to move it around obstacles and/or past other ships. It'll be a lot of fun fielding it I think.

I completely agree that it will be fun to play with the Falcon and you can make some pretty powerful builds. I just don't see any reason to ever field the Outer Rim Smuggler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Houdek
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually its got alot over Y wing. As mentioned above, 1 shield and hull point, plus it can take an extra ion hit before suffering effects, and has a 360 fire arc. A Y wing with 360 fire arc is actually 23 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't underestimate the Outer Rim Smuggler's large base size and low skill -- it's a great combo for spoiling the enemy's actions by flying into their flight path. Throw in crew and a primary weapon turret, and I consider it worth the points. Besides, you can give it the Millennium Falcon upgrade and give it evade if you're concerned about its low defense.

It's a good value to add to your squadron without sucking up over half your points. It demands a different approach in play, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke C
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcalla wrote:
Actually its got alot over Y wing. As mentioned above, 1 shield and hull point, plus it can take an extra ion hit before suffering effects, and has a 360 fire arc. A Y wing with 360 fire arc is actually 23 points.

I don't think shields prevent ion effects

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lukezors wrote:
Marcalla wrote:

I don't think shields prevent ion effects

Large ships such as the YT-1300 require two ion tokens before the suffer the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke C
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:

Large ships such as the YT-1300 require two ion tokens before the suffer the effect.

Oh interesting, Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.