Hide
9 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Exploring the coastline with core tiles - wedge map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marko Polo
msg tools
So if I run out of scenario tiles, can I draw a random (extra) Countryside tile to the coastline? I think I read it somewhere that you can, but can't find it now.

Besides that, I messed up in my current solo game. Placed a core on the shore. Shame. Too late to revert. Any remedies?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is legal to put a core tile along the coast as long as you place it adjacent to two other tiles. Just make sure the next tile placement makes the original placement 'legal'; the exploration rules you are looking for are under movement rule 5 on pages 5-6 of http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/71328/mage-knight-rule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not legal to place a core tile on the shore of the wedge.

If you run completely out of tiles, it's legal to place a countryside tile from the box, provided that where you put it, it is touching 3 other tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dancingisforbidden wrote:
Placed a core on the shore. Shame. Too late to revert. Any remedies?

The main reason for this is in multiplayer games, they want to make sure people aren't placing core tiles really far away from the other players. If you're doing a solo game, I seriously wouldn't worry about it. I rarely play a game without messing up at least one rule - just finish your play, enjoy yourself, and remember the rule the next time around. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Polo
msg tools
But it states in the scenario book - first column.

Core (brown) tiles cannot be added to the coastline.

Thanks for clarifying the countryside tiles.

- edit - oh ok I'll keep this game going. I'll be less hard on myself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dancingisforbidden wrote:
So if I run out of scenario tiles, can I draw a random (extra) Countryside tile to the coastline?

Yes.

As explained, you can't put core tiles on the coast.

This makes me wonder something else. Say you have used the 7 countryside tiles, and are now at core tiles (solo full conquest). If you are in a corner on the coast, can you still explore the coast and take a countryside tile from the usused ones? Or you simply can't explore that location until all 4 core tiles are revealed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
This makes me wonder something else. Say you have used the 7 countryside tiles, and are now at core tiles (solo full conquest). If you are in a corner on the coast, can you still explore the coast and take a countryside tile from the usused ones? Or you simply can't explore that location until all 4 core tiles are revealed?
The rule is pretty clear about that (underlined emphasis mine):
P. 6, Movement 5e., Rulebook (2nd print) wrote:
If there are no tiles left in the Map Tile deck when a player attempts to explore, he may use a random Countryside tile removed from the game during Setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my understanding of the tile placement rules. Please inform if this is not correct.

2 player full conquest scenario:
-Map shape wedge with starting tile A
-8 countryside tiles
-3 core tiles, two of which are city tiles

Initial map layout is:

G G
A

A: Starting tile
G: Green countryside tile
B: Brown core tile
E: Empty tile slot that is between the coast lines

Now, whenever a player explores, as long as the tile is one of the remaining 6 countryside tiles, it can be placed using the following criteria:
-You cannot explore beyond the coastlines
-The tile must either border two existing tiles or it must border an existing tile that borders two other tiles (not counting the one you are about to place)

Allowed:

G E E
G G
A

E G E E
E G E
G G
A

Not allowed:

G E E E
G E E
G G
A

When the countryside tiles run out, the next three tiles to be explored are the core tiles. They have their own placement criteria:
-They cannot be placed in the coastline, hence their name - core tile
-They can only be placed next to at least two existing map tiles
-Note that you cannot choose to place any countryside tiles left out from the game setup: you must use the three brown tiles next, so you cannot explore the coastlines at this point

Allowed:

E E B E E
G G G E
G G G
G G
A

E B E E E E
G G E E E
G G E E
G G E
G G
A

Not allowed:

E E E E E
G G G B
G G G
G G
A

E E B E E E
E E G E E
E G G E
G G G
G G
A

When all the three brown tiles are placed, you can still explore using the countryside tiles that weren't included in the game setup, pulling them randomly. However, these tiles can only be used to fill holes, which means they have to border at least three existing tiles. Note that you can put these tiles in coastline locations, because they are not core tiles.

Allowed:

E E E B E E
E E
B B G
E G G G
G G G
G G
A

Not allowed:

E E G B E E
E E B B E
E G G G
G G G
G G
A

After all the remaining countryside tiles have been used to fill holes in the map, you can continue with the non-city core tiles if there are still holes left in the map. However, because they are core tiles, they cannot be put in coastline even if they would border at least three other tiles in that location.

When there are no tiles or only city tiles left in the game box, you cannot explore any further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is interesting -- came here with the same question Serge had: In Solo Conquest, I've drawn all 7 Countryside tiles, have drawn and placed my first Core tile (with three remaining), and am near a coastline where I could not legally place a Core tile. And so I would love it if I could draw a Countryside and explore it, prior to going on to find the Cities in the Core tiles.

However, based on a strict reading of the rules, which is how I like to play the game -- and the conclusion reached in this thread -- it appears that this is an illegal play. So I have to go elsewhere on the map and fully discover all three Core tiles prior to, say, returning to the same near-coastline position Tovak presently occupies and drawing a Countryside tile, then.

Hmph.

--David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.