Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Complete Trilogy – Adventure Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Doubts on the rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pan Daemonium
msg tools
I am a bit confused about the actions the heroes and Sauron can take. I will try to make those doubts punctual and progressive:

1. I think the rules never say if free characters can attack or not, but I guess they can, otherwise in a two player game I don't see how Frodo could win.

2. Quoted from the rules of engagement: "If a character's space is touching an enemy's space at the beginning of their turn they may begin an attack against that enemy before they roll for movement or they may just roll and move".

Are character allowed to attack more than once in one single turn?, they could attack, then move and then attack again, or is it just one attack and one move per turn?.

3. Does the above rule apply to free characters?, can I attack with a free character and the move it when I roll?.

4. Can I attack with one character, then move two characters and at the end attack with the other character?.

5. What about Sauron?. If more than two of Sauron's tokens are touching characters, can they all attack?. Maybe he can only attack twice per turn. If so, can he attack with two tokens and then move another two or the same two?.

6. If a character moves and lands in a card space that touches an enemy that he is going to attack, does he pick the card before or after the attack?.

I think the rules say nothing, I am mainly asking about your house rules and opinions regarding all this.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn S
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
1. NPC heroes can attack and do things same as PCs.

2. You can only attack once. Attack for your turn, or move then attack.

3. I don't understand what you mean. You play NPCs same as your own character.

4. Same as above?

5. Sauron I think can attack as many as are touching. Only two moves though.

6. Rules never say. We just chose after and stuck with it.

Really though, this isn't a fun game. At all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pan Daemonium
msg tools
Thanks for the input.

I actually like this game. It reminds me of the old Dungeon!.

My question in 4 was if you have to complete all movements before doing the attacks.

Otherwise you can move character A next to character B and do a joint attack. Then move character B next to character C and do another joint attack.

I have another question now: If a character flees a battle and lands on a card spot, does he pick up a card?.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Millett
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that they would get a card whenever they land on a card spot, but thats just my opinion. I think this game is a good candiate for house rules - just decide on something that everyone can agree on and go with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Miller
United States
Newport
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Here is an FAQ sheet on the game

Lord of the Rings Adventure Board Game

What is an Adventure Board game?
An adventure game is a game in which players assume the role of the characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles through a process of structured decision making.

How is an Adventure Board game different from a traditional Board Game?
A traditional board game would usually have a path with a beginning, an end and a series of predictable obstacles along the path. An Adventure Board Game still has a beginning and an end in the form of a goal but it’s the in-between that is different. Along the path the obstacles, challenges, and puzzles will vary according to the roles players have taken and the decisions that the players make.

What makes the game different each time it is played?
Like any game the roll of the dice makes the movement along a path random. However, an adventure game goes further in that the player is free to choose the path that they take. In many cases free to choose what obstacles and challenges to accept and what items to collect keep or give away.

Why do I need to collect items?
There are many items to collect, some will give you added power and strength, some will help you solve puzzles, and some will help restore Life points (LP.)

What are Life Points?
Life points are shown on the top left corner of a character or enemy card. A simple analogy is to think of this as a gas tank for the character. When the gas tank is empty the character can no longer function. Keep an eye on the gas tank, if it gets low take care and look for someway of topping it up!

Why are all the characters in play when I am only playing a three player game?
First, we are trying to create an adventure that accurately mirrors the Lord of the Rings trilogy movies based on the Tolkien books, we felt it important that all the characters were always represented. Second, each character has their own set of special abilities which you may need to call on during your adventure through this game.

“I don’t understand, if I am playing one character how can I call on another to help?”
The Lord of the Rings Adventure Game is a collaborative game, a game with one common goal, to destroy The One Ring. If Frodo or Gollum lose their life points the game is over and Sauron wins! So it is wise to collaborate and discuss everything that is happening throughout the game with the other players. You can also move any Free Characters on your turn.

What are Free Characters?
Because all characters are in play there may be more characters on the board than there are players, these extra characters are called Free Characters.

How do the Free Characters move?
On each player’s turn they roll TWO white dice. They choose one of the resulting die rolls to move their own character, the other to move ANY Free Character.

How does Sauron move his enemy tokens?
On Sauron’s turn the player playing the role of Sauron rolls the two black dice. They can either move one token the total of what is shown on both dice. Or, move two tokens, one the number shown on one die, another the number shown on the second die. For example, if Sauron rolls a 6 and a 3 Sauron can move one token 9 spaces or one token 3 spaces and one token 6 spaces. You may NOT add them together and split them again to say 4 and 5!

Do I move my own character or the Free Character first?
Always move your own character first, complete the turn for that character BEFORE moving a Free Character.

Can a Free Character attack an enemy?
A free character can attack and do everything that a player’s character can do except collect Good Points (GP.)

What are Good Points (GP?)
Good points are the individual scoring mechanism in this adventure game. If The One Ring is destroyed the winner of the game is the player who has accumulated the most Good Points. Good Points are awarded for various actions in the game.

If a Free Character cannot acquire Good Points what happens if a Free Character collects them, for example destroying an enemy?
If a Free Character acquires Good Points these are awarded to the player who last moved the Free Character. The player who moves a Free Character is responsible for that Free Character until another player moves it.

Isn’t that going to be difficult to keep track of?
Not really, when a player moves a Free Character move the Free Character’s character card, along with any objects they have acquired, to that player. They will need it to refer to anyway.

Talking of objects, isn’t it difficult to keep track of all the objects that each character can acquire during the game?
Again, not really, every object in the game is represented by a card, simply keep that card with the character who owns it.

Do you mean the character who acquired it?
No, all objects are transferable between characters, if an object is transferred between two characters simply move the object card to the new character.

Why would I want to transfer objects between characters?
Some objects are more useful to certain characters, for example, the sword Glamdring is more powerful in the hands of Gandalf than any other player. You might want to transfer objects that say, restore Life points to a character who is running low.

How do I transfer objects from one character to another?
To transfer objects from one character to another the two characters must be physically next to each other on the game board, that is on two spaces that actually touch. Other than that there are no rules regarding this. This is part of the collaborative adventure. Players can give these objects freely for the common good, barter for other objects, or even sell them in exchange for Good Points. Always remember while the winner of the game is the player with the most Good Points at the end, it is a one-lose-all-lose- game ... The One Ring must be destroyed and no character must be allowed to run out of Life Points!

Can I take objects from a Free Character
As discussed before, a Free Character is the responsibility of the last player who moved it. So, if you were the last player to move a Free Character, and you want their stuff, yes, you can take it as long as your own character and the Free Character are physically next to each other on the game board, that is on two spaces that actually touch.

What is a battle?
During the adventure characters will come across enemies (the forces of Sauron) which you may need, or want to destroy. To do this you will need to “Battle” these enemies.

How does a character start a battle?
A battle can start if a character moves onto a space that touches a space occupied by an enemy token, this is a character attack on the enemy. The character has started or picked a fight, and therefore strikes the first blow. This is still part of the character’s turn if they move next to an enemy token they must attack it to complete their turn.

What if a character moves on to a space that touches two or more spaces occupied by an enemy token?
The character can only attack one enemy per turn they must announce to Sauron which enemy they are about to attack.

How do I know what enemy I am attacking?
When a character attacks an enemy token this token must be turned face-up. The number on the reverse of the token refers to the number in the top right corner of the enemy character card. Sauron must reveal the card that matches the number.

What sort of attack can a character start?
A character can attack using either Strength or Magic.

How will I know whether to attack an enemy using Strength or Magic?
This will depend on a number of factors: the Plus number of your enemy in Strength or Magic, your own Plus number in Strength or Magic as well as the Plus number on any objects that your character is holding.

What is the Plus number?
The Plus number is marked on all character, enemy, and object cards alongside either Strength, Magic, or Wisdom. This number is added to the OUTCOME of any dice roll when appropriate.

What do you mean by outcome?
During battles and some key decisions during the game the outcome of multiplying two dice is used. For example if you rolled a 3 and a 6 the outcome will be 18 (3x6). Don’t worry about the math we have included handy outcome calculator cards in the game. So, if you were Frodo and attacking with strength and rolled a 3 and a 6 your outcome would be 18 plus 3 (Frodo’s Plus strength number) total 21. If Frodo was also carrying the sword Sting, there would be an added plus 4 (Sting’s Plus strength number) for a total of 25.

In a battle how does a character attack take place?
In simple terms, when a character attacks an enemy, they strike the first blow. Imagine you are going to strike the enemy with your sword, you roll two dice look at the outcome add any Plus numbers to arrive at an attack number (see the sample in the previous question what do you mean by outcome). Let’s stick to the example 25 as your attack number or attack power.
Now your enemy is not just going to stand there and let you strike him with a sword he will naturally defend himself. So the player who is Sauron also rolls two dice, adds any Plus numbers for the enemy that Sauron is rolling for, to arrive at a defense power against the your sword attack.
There are only three possible outcomes:
The attack power is the same as the defense power IE: attack 25, defense 25
The attack power is GREATER than the defense power IE: attack 25, defense 18.
The attack power is LOWER than the defense power IE: attack 25, defense 30.

What happens in a character attack if the attack power is the same as the defense power?
Both the character and the enemy roll again

What happens in a character attack if the attack power is Greater than the defense power?
This means that the attacking character has successfully struck a blow on the enemy, but you now have to determine the amount of damage caused to the enemy by your attack. To do this the character rolls ONE die:
If the rolled number is equal to or greater than the enemy’s Life Points (LP) the enemy is defeated and is removed from play. This ends the turn!
If the rolled number is less than the enemy’s Life Points the enemy was not defeated and does remain in play. This ends the turn! No further action takes place. Sauron cannot strike back!

What happens in a character attack if the attack power is Less than the defense power?
This means that the character missed the enemy with their blow. This ends the turn! No further action takes place. Sauron cannot strike back!

How does Sauron start a battle?
A battle can start if Sauron moves an enemy token onto a space that touches a space occupied by a character, this is an enemy attack on a character. The enemy has started or picked a fight, and therefore strikes the first blow. This is still part of Sauron’s turn if Sauron moves an enemy token next to a character they must attack the character to complete the turn.

What if Sauron moves two enemy tokens and both are next to different characters?
Sauron must battle both characters in any order he wishes. First completing one battle then moving on to the other. However, the character has the option to run away from an attack.

What if Sauron moves two enemy tokens and both are next to the SAME character?
Sauron must attack the character twice in two separate attacks first completing the attack with one enemy then attacking with the other. However, the character has the option to run away from either of these attacks.

What if Sauron moves one enemy next to two characters?
Sauron can only attack one character, he must choose and declare which character he is attacking.

How does Sauron know which enemy he is attacking with?
When an enemy attacks a character the enemy token must be turned face-up. The number on the reverse of the token refers to the number in the top right corner of the enemy character card. Sauron must reveal the card that matches the number.

What sort of attack can an enemy start?
An enemy can attack using either Strength or Magic.

How will Sauron know whether to attack a character using Strength or Magic?
This will depend on a number of factors: the Plus number of the character in Strength or Magic, the enemy Plus number in Strength or Magic, as well as the Plus number on any objects that the character is holding.

In a battle how does an enemy attack take place?
In simple terms, when an enemy attacks a character, they strike the first blow, imagine you are going to strike the character with your sword, Sauron rolls two dice looks at the outcome add any Plus numbers to arrive at an attack number (see the sample in the question what do you mean by outcome). Let’s stick to the example 25 as your attack number or attack power.
The character you are attacking is not just going to stand there and let you strike him with a sword, he will naturally defend himself. So the character also rolls two dice and adds any Plus numbers for their character, to arrive at a defense power against the blow of your sword.
There are only three possible outcomes:
The attack power is the same as the defense power IE: attack 25, defense 25
The attack power is GREATER than the defense power IE: attack 25, defense 18.
The attack power is LOWER than the defense power IE: attack 25, defense 30.

What happens in an enemy attack if the attack power is the same as the defense power?
Both the enemy and the character roll again.

What happens in an enemy attack if the attack power is Greater than the defense power?
This means that the attacking enemy has successfully struck a blow to the character, but Sauron now has to determine the amount of damage caused to the character with his attack. To do this Sauron rolls ONE die:
The number rolled is deducted from the attacked character’s Life Points. This ends the turn! No further action takes place the character cannot strike back!
NOTE: check the enemy character card there may be special LP deductions for that enemy against a character.

What happens in an enemy attack if the attack power is Less than the defense power?
This means that the enemy missed the character with their blow. This ends the turn! No further action takes place the character cannot strike back!

Can a character run from a battle?
If a character attacks an enemy the character CANNOT run from the fight, they picked the fight, they must end it.
If Sauron attacks a character the character DOES have the option to run from the fight. To do this, the character rolls two white dice and uses the result from any ONE of the numbers rolled to move away from the attacking enemy. A character who runs from a battle loses 1 Life Point.

If a character is running away from a battle and lands on an event card space do they take the card?
No! This is NOT the character’s turn they are running away during Sauron’s turn. They take NO action other than running away from the fight.

What happens if a character is next to an enemy token at the start of their turn?
This can happen for many reasons usually from a failed attack on that character’s previous turn. In this case the character has two choices:
The character can simply roll the dice and move on as a normal turn.
The character can attack the enemy, and at the end of the battle, roll and move.

What happens if Sauron has more than one enemy token next to characters at the start of his turn?
This can happen for many reasons usually from a failed attack on Sauron’s previous turn. In this case Sauron must complete battles with all the characters that have enemy tokens next to them BEFORE rolling the dice and making his move. All the normal battle rules for an enemy attack apply including a character’s option to run away.

When a character defeats an enemy what happens?
If a character defeats an enemy in battle, check the character card of the defeated enemy, there may be some Good Points to be added to your total! Remember good points acquired by Free Characters that you are controlling are added to YOUR character.

Why are there two black dice and two white dice?
Sauron always rolls the two black dice. Characters roll the two white dice. This is simply so that in the heat of battle you know who has rolled what.

If a character moves and lands on an event card space AND is also next to an enemy token does the character battle first or take the card first?
If a character moves next to an enemy token they have picked a fight, this takes precedence, fight first and then take the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hill
United States
Framingham
MA
flag msg tools
You state in the FAQ "Even if one single character loses their life points the game is over and Sauron wins!", however the rules explicitly state that only if Frodo or Gollum dies does Sauron win. Which is it?

We tried to play this game, and found it unplayable. The following questions are unanswered in the Rule book:

The biggest question we had was does the fellowship get one turn per player before Sauron gets to move. Doesn't this mean that the more players on the fellowship side, the more movement they get. For instance if you are playing with 8 fellowship characters, on each turn does each player get to move their character, and the one "NPC". Meaning the "NPC" will move 8 times before Sauron can move.

Do opponents block movement (i.e. if you roll a 6 but can only move 2 hexes before encountering an enemy, do you only move the two hexes).

Can Sauron move any token, or only the ones that are revealed?

Some of the cards state "move a Ringwraith to ...", how do you know which token is a Ringwraith when they are face-down?

If you can't move past a square (like the Ferry) can you character just sit in the same square? Does he draw another event card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Gomez
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
"Really though, this isn't a fun game. At all."

Sorry, but opinions are not facts. They're just opinions.

My contention is that not a lot of people who dislike this game have the patience to tinker with the rules. Realizing that this is *not* a perfect system, with answers to every one of your questions, early on will help quite a bit.

This game *is* fun, according to my group of very discriminating, and often IMPATIENT players. I had to stop the action and "wing it" a bunch of times in this game. Did that ruin the fun for the group? No.

They're used to playing pencil-and-paper RPGs, so they're very used to having to wait for the "GM" to create new rules or make difficult decisions on the spot.

If your group is composed of players that want a rule listed in the rulebook for every one of their questions, look elsewhere. This *isn't* the game for you.

Which is far different from saying that "this isn't a fun game".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Gomez
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
MiraclePhil wrote:
You state in the FAQ "Even if one single character loses their life points the game is over and Sauron wins!", however the rules explicitly state that only if Frodo or Gollum dies does Sauron win. Which is it?

We tried to play this game, and found it unplayable. The following questions are unanswered in the Rule book:

The biggest question we had was does the fellowship get one turn per player before Sauron gets to move. Doesn't this mean that the more players on the fellowship side, the more movement they get. For instance if you are playing with 8 fellowship characters, on each turn does each player get to move their character, and the one "NPC". Meaning the "NPC" will move 8 times before Sauron can move.

Do opponents block movement (i.e. if you roll a 6 but can only move 2 hexes before encountering an enemy, do you only move the two hexes).

Can Sauron move any token, or only the ones that are revealed?

Some of the cards state "move a Ringwraith to ...", how do you know which token is a Ringwraith when they are face-down?

If you can't move past a square (like the Ferry) can you character just sit in the same square? Does he draw another event card?

The game is not "unplayable". Either have patience, learn to make up rules on the spot as if you were running a pencil-and-paper RPG, or play a different game. But don't assume that because it's not for you, it's "unplayable".

I don't mean to sound harsh. I'm just trying to stress facts over opinions here.

My group found it VERY playable, even with many questions of our own.

Our assessment? This is a game with *great* potential, we just have to make house rules.

But on to your questions.

1. I would say that the only rule you need to worry about, above all others, is this: Gollum, the Ring, and Frodo all have to be at Mount Doom for the Players to win.

If this condition is not met, then Sauron wins.

That being said, it's the GPs that create the "tie-breaker" for the Players.

Also, if you follow along the rules, you'll find your answers to many of the "questions". Such as,

"How on (Middle) Earth would Gandalf the GREY become Gandalf the WHITE without dying?" Answer: he can't.

So, yes. (Obviously) the players CAN WIN even if some Fellowship members die.

Only Frodo and Gollum cannot, if the players are to win - at all. But, that being the case, yes - EVERYONE other than Frodo and Gollum may die WITHOUT the players losing. As long as Frodo, Gollum, and the One Ring makes it to Mount Doom, it doesn't matter, really, what happens to the rest of the Fellowship.

(Wasn't that the whole point all along, anyway? Sacrifice the Fellowship, if necessary, in order to get the Ring in ANY WAY POSSIBLE into the fires of Mt. Doom. Anything to stop Sauron.)

Another tip: Read the books, or at least watch the movies. Then remember that the game is simulating, without creating a facsimile, the trilogy. Knowing this helps answer some questions one may have. Just ask, what would Tolkien have written?

(This does NOT mean that it must go exactly like the trilogy. That's why this game is fun. It's the Lord of the Rings, beginning and End, essentiall - it's the Players that "re-write" the middle part of the Story.)

2. As for Sauron's and the Fellowship's movements:

If the movement rules bother you, change them. They didn't bother me, but I only played it once (and no, we didn't finish, and yes, we had a ton of "questions", but in the end, we decided we liked the game. Warts and all.)

Make some tokens (or buy some). If a Character is moved, put a token on his card. After Sauron's turn, remove all tokens and start the process over.

Never move a character that already has a token on it. That character needs to "rest".

However, I'll wager that the fact that Players can only pick one of their die to move one character (a movement of 1-6 spaces) is PART of the reason why it seems like there is "unbalance" when it comes to movement. The flip side of this, the "balancing" factor, if you will, is that Sauron can ADD HIS DICE TOGETHER TO MOVE ONE OF HIS "MINIONS". In other words, if Sauron chooses, he can move one of his minions up to 12 spaces (if he was lucky enough to roll double sixes.)

Personally, it's because of this that I'm not going to use the "token fix" that I "suggested" above.

Also, did you consider that if you have 10 players (9 Fellowship players, 1 Sauron player), then yes - one of the "NPCs" is going to move quite a bit each turn. I don't think this was overlooked while playtesting this game. It's probably not that big of a deal.

But again, there are easy ways to tweak the rules - a tradition known as house rules - to make it feel more playable, or make "more sense", for your group.

3. No matter what number of spaces you're allowed to move, if you come in contact with a space containing an Enemy token, you have to stop and fight. If you don't want to be stopped, keep at least one space between any Enemy token and your character's piece.

It makes sense. The minions of Sauron aren't going to just let you breeze on by them. They'll give chase, and the Characters will probably have to fight a little bit to break away.

4. Sauron can move ANY token. The tokens are only flipped when they make contact with another character, at which point they are permanently flipped over. (However, another house rule *could be* that Sauron's player could flip the token back over AFTER a fight - if the monster survived - to keep the mystery.)

(Interestingly enough, if you've played other Adventure Games, such as Arkham Horror, you'll understand these rules a little better. They're all similar in structure.)

5. I had a TINY bit of trouble with the Ringwraiths, but that diminished right away when you look at the tokens and the Enemy's "character" cards.

ALL THE PURPLE TOKENS (4) THAT ORIGINATE NEAR HOBBITON ARE RINGWRAITH TOKENS.

This isn't that much of a mystery for anyone who's read the books/watched the films. The Ringwraiths are the main villains until the Fellowship gets out of the Shire.

So, whether the tokens are flipped over or not, you (and the players) know they're Ringwraiths. And all of the spots where these Ringwraith tokens start (all Ringwraith tokens have the numbers 1 or 2 on the "bottom" sides. No other tokens have 1s or 2s. Makes sense - look at the cards they correspond to.)

While the characters are in/near the Shire - the players can expect to be mostly approached/attacked by Ringwraiths.

It's very thematic. That's one of the best things about this game.

And I can't stress the feeling that most players that have had trouble with this game didn't give it more than an hour or two before giving up on it. This is a game that is better explained through PLAY than a rulebook.

That's the honest truth.

6. No, you must move. You can't just "sit". Would ANY member of the Fellowship just "sit there" while Sauron's forces are on the move?

No. Whether they were self-serving (Boromir, at first) or selflessly trying to get the Ring to Mount Doom, they were ALL moving - continuously.

If you read the books/watch the movie, and realize this is a game that wants to FEEL like the books/movies, then you'll realize the answer to these kind of questions. I know I'm repeating myself, but players will be distressed if they don't realize these things.

(Take the card relating to the Doors of Durin, and it's companion card, "A Friend in Need" - which is the answer to the riddle. Read them both. If you read the "A FRIEND IN NEED" card, but NEVER read the books/watched the movies, you would have NO IDEA what the "Friend In Need" card was all about. Only the Tolkien fan would figure this out - quickly, at least. Our group never even had to "figure" it out - it was obvious to us.)

A Fellowship character shouldn't "sit". They should be all making their way, continuously, towards Mount Doom. They don't even stick around to fight very much. Skirmish, move, skirmish, move - but ALWAYS MOVE. Time's running out! Sauron's armies are on the move, too! Can't waste time! etc. etc. etc.

(A side note: in pencil-and-paper RPGs, which inspired directly or indirectly these kinds of "adventure games", the GM ["host" or "narrator"] is allowed to intervene if a Player isn't "roleplaying correctly". Some of these rules are designed to FORCE players to "stay in character". So, no, I'm sorry - Frodo isn't allowed to just sit by and watch Middle Earth fall apart. He'll either get the Ring to Mount Doom or die trying.)

And, technically, just "sitting" is essentially rolling the movement die, and moving back and forth over two spaces until you land back at the space you started on. (You have to roll both movement dice, you have to move YOUR character, and a "free character" - if one is available. But you will ALWAYS move AT LEAST YOUR character on each of your turns.)

I'll say that the only thing that doesn't make a WHOLE lot of sense is the fact that a character can't step onto the same space twice in one turn.

But here's my theory about that: The Fellowship KNOWS from the start that they're being TRACKED. They'll expect the Enemy to be right on their tails. Why would they go BACK to where they are expecting to see the Ringwraiths, for example? No - it's safer to keep moving on and on towards Mount Doom.

Though, this is one of the rules I'm not quite satisfied with. I'm willing to play a few more times before creating my own house rule on movement, but I'll admit that at this moment, I've considered allowing the players to really move wherever they want, as long as the dice allow it. (Yes, that means in future games the Players in my group may be allowed to move 1, 2, or 3 spaces if they roll a three, rather than being forced to move 3.)

If a character can't move the whole allotted amount, as per what is revealed on the die rolled, because of a narrow path with something blocking it, for example, the Player moves the character as much as possible and just leaves it at that. You do what you can.

If the only thing you CAN do is "just sit" there, it's considered that you have attempted to move (and simply CAN'T), and therefore you should be able to draw another event card if you're on that space.

I see the potential for abuse here, though, with the "The Path Is Blocked" token/card. Trapping a character on an Event Space just so that character can go through the Event cards without having to move, really.

But, we'll cross that bridge when we get there...

Anyway, keep an open mind or find a different game. That's my advice.

Talking bad about the game, from a position of opinion rather than simply stating facts about the game (which may or may not reveal "flaws" in design) is counterproductive (and dishonest, if the reviewer doesn't state that their opinion is just that: an opinion.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mooplox
msg tools
Played this a couple times now... two questions.

The attacking player chooses to attack with str or magic. Does the defender have to use that stat as well or can, for instance, a strength roll defend against a magic roll?

Can fellowship players move past each other? I didn't see it in the rules but the obvious answer to me is yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Hampton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules read that if you cannot pass a blockage with your die roll, then go as far as you can.

I take that to mean evading the enemy is possible, even through the same piece of territory.

I see it as representative of that period in the movie where the Uruk-Hai were in the same area as the three walkers (Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn) but it did not signal an immediate engagement.

The game has possibilities, but I have only played it once. I too have some movement issues.zombie

Best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stathis
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hi everybody, I bought this game at a flea market and it's missing the rulebook. I cant find the rules anywhere online. Would anyone be willing to email me a copy? I'm at petestathis@yahoo.com. thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.