Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say I want to celebrate getting all my ships painted (soon, really soon!) by taking Dreadfleet to a games day and running a multiplayer game.

I'm thinking it will be best to (assuming there are enough players) have one player on each team command the flagship and be responsible for fate cards, and have the other players control two smaller ships each.

Thoughts on what scenario - included or homebrew would be best for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Let's say I want to celebrate getting all my ships painted (soon, really soon!) by taking Dreadfleet to a games day and running a multiplayer game.

I'm thinking it will be best to (assuming there are enough players) have one player on each team command the flagship and be responsible for fate cards, and have the other players control two smaller ships each.

Thoughts on what scenario - included or homebrew would be best for this?

There's a scenario on the Games Workshop website (or at least it was, before they took down all mention of Dreadfleet - it might still be there though) where you put the terrain around in a ring, and have each side start in opposite corners. Then you play with a time limit - could be 1 hour, 1.5 hours, 2 hours, whatever you want - I find for an intro game, 1.5 hours is pretty good. Then you just go at it, and you add up damage cards at the end of the time limit to see which side won.

I always use this for my first game, except that instead of setting up the terrain as shown, I set it up like the first official scenario, where you alternate taking turns putting the pieces on the board.

Something simple like this works well, and you've timeboxed it as well, so you know it won't overstay its welcome, or if someone loses all their ships, they won't be out of the game for long (and actually, if someone loses all their ships, in the past we've just ended the game at that point.)

The scenarios in the book are *awesome*, but for a first game, something simple where you just get to learn the mechanics and try to blow each other out of the water is for the best, I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
At BGG Con, I set up scenario one and added a couple of extra ship so four players could play it. It worked really well since the victory conditions were straight forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lesulm1 wrote:
I believe this is the scenario James mentioned:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=1...

Thanks! Yes, that's the right page. The scenario is called "First Blood".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Now I just need to actually get my fleet finished. I'm very, very close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.