Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi I'm looking for a Route Building game that is good for 2 players that is not Ticket to Ride, as I already own (and love) it. We would like the game to be more involved than TTR, but not too complex. Thurn and Taxis is on my radar so if you could recommend something else beside that (or convince me to get it), that would be most appreciated.

It also doesnt have to specifically be "Route Building" but maybe just "Building," as we like to build tangible things in our games. Carcassonne is an example of a game we love that fits that criteria. I guess you could call it "Map Building." Torres is on my map as well, but seems a little too much like an abstract brain-burner (correct me if I am wrong).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn and Taxis is a fantastic game and plays well with any number 2-4.

It has a lot more strategy but it is a bit lighter interaction than TTR - players can't block you directly although they make take cards you wanted or claim a score tile before you which reduces the value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn and Taxis is a good choice.

Also Hansa Teutonica is more like "network building" (which is pretty close to route building) but it's an awesome game to be sure.
It plays a little less well with 2 players... but it's still very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You could try Hacienda. It plays well with two, better with more and is generally a great game. You can even try it out first on yucata.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb

Chicago Express can be played with two, but I think it's better with at least three.

First Train to Nuremberg is a game I really enjoy, but the set-up is a little fiddly.

Metro is basically a giant puzzle. Easy to learn and teach.

La Strada also easy to learn and teach. But don't use the two-player rules that come with the game. There are better ones posted here on BGG.

Railways of the World: The Card Game uses cards to build routes. Depending on how people connect the routes, you may need a somewhat large playing surface. Definitely not a coffee-table game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ummmmmmmm.............. Agricola? Build a farm? One of the highest rated games ever?

Just throwing it out there whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
ummmmmmmm.............. Agricola? Build a farm? One of the highest rated games ever?

Well, now you've embarrassed us all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaleb Eubank
United States
Senatobia
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nippon Rails?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a huge +1 for Thurn and Taxis. It is more strategic than TtR...and better IMO.

Hansa Teutonica is even better, but you really need 3 for that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Airlines Europe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:

Ive been hesitant about Agricola. It seems a little too rule heavy for my gaming partner. And the price is a little too steep for me to take the risk. Im much more interested in the 2 player version of Agricola simply because its cheaper, but have balked at purchasing it because I feel I might as well buy the full game.

EDIT: and I LOVE the idea of farm building! I love animals and farms (I have worked a lot in farms) and is part of the reason why I am very interested in Zooleretto, I am just not sold on its 2 player yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive been looking at Hansa Teutonica and it intrigues me. Again, I am just not sold on its 2 player. I cant afford to buy very many games (1 a month, 2 on a good month), so I need a solid, rewarding, replayable 2 player experience, that, ideally, scales up to more players for the rare time when my friends and I can get together to play games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:
Moe45673 wrote:

Ive been hesitant about Agricola. It seems a little too rule heavy for my gaming partner. And the price is a little too steep for me to take the risk. Im much more interested in the 2 player version of Agricola simply because its cheaper, but have balked at purchasing it because I feel I might as well buy the full game.

EDIT: and I LOVE the idea of farm building! I love animals and farms (I have worked a lot in farms) and is part of the reason why I am very interested in Zooleretto, I am just not sold on its 2 player yet.

AGRICOLA has a "family game" option with fewer rules. You could start with that. Once you play AGRICOLA one or two times, it's actually pretty easy. I play ZOOLORETTO (and AQUARETTO) with my wife. 2-player games aren't bad at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Im starting to get pretty convinced. Ive had my eye on Agricola for a long while now. Another thing that has kept us away from both Agricola and Zooleretto are the individual boards. We do enjoy building on a shared space. Although I dont think it would be too much of a problem.

Metropolys seems really fun but is hard to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Thurn and Taxis seems like a good fit but the "less interaction than TTR" worries me a bit.

First Train to Nuremburg is another game Ill have to look into. I want to try a Wallace design and this seems like a good place to start.

Agricola is tempting as always.

Im still not sure what to buy. So many games, so little money...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
a huge +1 for Thurn and Taxis. It is more strategic than TtR...and better IMO.

Hansa Teutonica is even better, buyt you really need 3 for that one.

These are my exact thoughts to the T.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trains

If you don't mind some Dominion in your route building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brahan
United States
North Sutton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat as you with the games that I like. I love route building, but I don't have a ton of exposure to games with it.

However, there are a few that we love with two:
Thurn and Taxis (no surprise there)
Railways of the World (I would recommend this with one of the expansions for 2 players or with 3+ players)

Of the games mentioned so far, one that I didn't enjoy was:
Railways of the World: The Card Game (it was okay, but the goods delivery was forced in, at least in my opinion)

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is enough interaction in Thurn and Taxis for you I believe. The interaction is in the form of a race. You have to keep track of how many "houses" your opponent has left in their supply. There is definitely a tension to keep up with your opponent in that regard. There are 2 end game triggers: depleting your supply of houses and resching the "level 7" carriage card. Hence the game is a race to reach the end game trigger before your opponent. There is also some interaction in acquiring the cards off the board. I believe there is more than ample tension in the game to keep it from feeling solitaire.

BTW: Zooloretto will lose its appeal way too quick for you, I think. Its a set collection game, essentially with one simple mechanic. Its a nie game to play with kids, but not enough there for adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Saldana
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:
Well Im starting to get pretty convinced. Ive had my eye on Agricola for a long while now. Another thing that has kept us away from both Agricola and Zooleretto are the individual boards. We do enjoy building on a shared space. Although I dont think it would be too much of a problem.

In that case, how about Carson City?

It's great with two (especially on the river side), you get the strategic depth of Agricola with somewhat more streamlined rules, and the sense of building a map together (though you're competing for resources).

Let's put this way: my wife loves Carson City. We haven't made it through the rules explanation for Agricola yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! You guys are so helpful!

Thanks a lot, you all have given me plenty of games to look into and research so I can pick the one that will be right for us.

pfctsqr wrote:
There is enough interaction in Thurn and Taxis for you I believe. The interaction is in the form of a race. You have to keep track of how many "houses" your opponent has left in their supply. There is definitely a tension to keep up with your opponent in that regard. There are 2 end game triggers: depleting your supply of houses and resching the "level 7" carriage card. Hence the game is a race to reach the end game trigger before your opponent. There is also some interaction in acquiring the cards off the board. I believe there is more than ample tension in the game to keep it from feeling solitaire.

BTW: Zooloretto will lose its appeal way too quick for you, I think. Its a set collection game, essentially with one simple mechanic. Its a nie game to play with kids, but not enough there for adults.

Ok this makes T&T shoot up my list fast. I dont think we would be disappointed with it. And thanks for the advice on Zooloretto. It confirms my reasons for not picking it up already.

Ring Them Citadels wrote:
stemcider wrote:

In that case, how about Carson City?

It's great with two (especially on the river side), you get the strategic depth of Agricola with somewhat more streamlined rules, and the sense of building a map together (though you're competing for resources).

Let's put this way: my wife loves Carson City. We haven't made it through the rules explanation for Agricola yet.

This sounds great! I will definitely be looking into this as well!

You guys rock! Just another example of why this site is awesome and why I cant stay away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in using routes on the fly, rather than building them, Africana could work.

If you really want to build routes, Empire Express is by far the best introduction to the "crayon rails" system. Great with 2, and plays fast. I'm over 50 plays so far, including solo plays.

Walnut Grove might give you some of that farm-building (and worker feeding) flavor in a lighter (and quicker) package than Agricola. It's less about the animals though.

+1 for Airlines Europe if you want something that kind of resembles TtR but adds stock ownership.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.