Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Poe
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi- maybe I am missing something. I looked around and I didn't see anything.

Each player's turn they flip a villian, try to fight, buy stuff.

With 5 players, by the time everyone has played, we had the villian track full. We were unlucky and had stuff cost an average of 5 to kill. Most things cost at least 3 to kill and we were lucky to get 3 attack points for the first several rounds. A LOT of villians escaped until we could accumulate enough attack points in our deck to stop them.

This isn't as bad in 2 or 3 player games as your turn comes up more often to cycle through your deck to get those nice attack point cards before stuff gets a chance of escaping.

But with 5 players, a full round of turns everyone has used half their deck. 2nd round, the rest, low chance of killing anything both rounds. 3rd round, might get that attack card you bought....

Am I doing it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
No, but villains escaping isn't actually a bad thing, in most scenarios. I haven't played 5, but I've played 4 quite a bit and usually it works pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some scemarios do care if villains escape, and in a 5 player game the HQ can clog very quickly as well. That is why I made a variant, which is posted in the variants section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if villains escape a lot you should be KO'ing a hero, so get rid of the high cost ones clogging the HQ. I have played many 4 player games and usually you get behind early but your deck will ramp up and the game becomes manageable. Of course certain scenarios and plain old luck can add to this and you might lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
No, but villains escaping isn't actually a bad thing, in most scenarios.

Actually, I find this is the most challenging aspect of the five-player game. As villains escape, the HQ becomes filled with nothing but seven-or-higher cost heroes. This can happen very quickly.

In general, the game will be more difficult with more players. While the game progresses at roughly the same rate, the players' decks gain power much more slowly, as the turns are distributed to more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbabel wrote:
if villains escape a lot you should be KO'ing a hero, so get rid of the high cost ones clogging the HQ.

You can only KO heroes of cost six or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is what we call HARD mode. 4 players and up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poe
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Paul G wrote:
No, but villains escaping isn't actually a bad thing, in most scenarios.

Actually, I find this is the most challenging aspect of the five-player game. As villains escape, the HQ becomes filled with nothing but seven-or-higher cost heroes. This can happen very quickly.

In general, the game will be more difficult with more players. While the game progresses at roughly the same rate, the players' decks gain power much more slowly, as the turns are distributed to more players.

This was exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.