BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Combat bases rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis Parladé

Indiana
msg tools
Hi,

I'm working on a strategy game inspired in wargames which design includes a combat base. I was wondering if anyone knows if it can be produced without getting in trouble with Wizkids that owns the patent for the clix system. The piece itself is very different in shape and configuration of the stats and numbers; also the way it works has nothing to do with the other, but is a rotating system.

I've found a few games that have used similar ways to show information (I'm interested only in the base, not miniatures), but nothing conclusive so far. I'm looking for information to send to a lawyer so he can check everything and give me a professional answer. What games do you know that use this type of changing number pieces?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A number of people make dial bases independent of the miniatures. For example:

The "Dial Dude": http://dialdude.ca
Litko Aero: http://www.litko.net/search.php?search_query=dial&x=0&y=0
Gale Force 9 makes turn counters which are dials. Not bases per se. http://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_store.aspx?CategoryID=1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nerv wrote:

What games do you know that use this type of changing number pieces?

The first game I saw with a rotating number dial on the base was Adeptus Titanicus, followed by Space Marine, both of which used it to track shields on titans. I expect there were dozens of games prior to those two which used a similar mechanism for single-number tracking.

The thing Wizkids did with their click bases that I'd not seen before was tie more than one stat line into the same rotating disc, meaning that as a unit got more damaged its combat capabilities changed... which is quite a significant difference from previous rotating-disc-tracking-stats games I'd seen. My gut feeling is that if you're just tracking a single stat it's probably fine, but if you try and do the changing-combat-capabilities thing, that's probably where you come into conflict with Wizkids' patent.

But I'm not a patent lawyer and I've not even read the patent, so take that with a pinch or two of salt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Parladé

Indiana
msg tools
Thank you both for your answers, I'll check this with the lawyer. Maybe you're correct and the difference is in the number or type of stats that the base tracks. I'll try to look for an alternative in case it turns out to be a protected component.

Thanks angain and regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Csaba Mészáros
Hungary
flag msg tools
Greetings, I know it's been 5 frickin' years, but I have the same problem as you did: I want to create a new base with rotating stats, and I don't know if I can.

Have you checked with a lawyer, and if yes what was the outcome?

I would really appreciate if you could anwser

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.