David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was eagerly awaiting this game since the first announcement! Been looking to buy into D1E 3 years ago but saw how expensive it would quickly get so I kept away from it (i'm a damn completionist who buys expansions before even playing the base game once).

Last Christmas my brother gifted me D2E! Really cool since he too was looking forward to play this game!

We played the Intro quest, 1 full quest and 1 half of a quest (1 encounter)and then didn't play at all. Why? I was asking myself the same question since february 2012. We both tried the game at the Demo with 5 players in one of our LGS. It was really awesome. We had a lot of fun discussing strategies with the other players.

Now with only 2 players there's not much "strategyzing" to be done.

I can already foresee the "Then get more players around the table with you" answers but that's the problem of my limited gaming friends, 1 is mostly in Euros and 2 others are not that available so they can't play so my only option would be to find some new "gaming buddies" around but it's not that easy so it's me and the bro for now and on the long run.

Please guys, help me with some tricks to make this game as good as with other players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, if we ever play another two player campaign (not sure if we will yet) the hero player will definitely be using 3 heroes instead of 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, if what you want is to have people to discuss strategy with, I see no other option than to get more people. One way around it, if you don't mind the format, is to sign up for a play-by-forum game here.

If that's not up your alley, then the only other suggestion I could make would be to let the hero player control three or four heroes instead of the listed two. You won't be discussing strategy with any teammates, but there will certainly be more options available for you to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
FWIW, if we ever play another two player campaign (not sure if we will yet) the hero player will definitely be using 3 heroes instead of 2.

That's what we've been doing. More fun for the Hero player and more "options" for the Overlord.

Maybe it was the mood at that time when we first played...we'll definitely restart a new campaign soon and try to complete it. I'm gonna play the Heroes with 3 of them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:

If that's not up your alley, then the only other suggestion I could make would be to let the hero player control three or four heroes instead of the listed two. You won't be discussing strategy with any teammates, but there will certainly be more options available for you to think about.

I agree. I play mainly two players (my wife as OL, I with heroes) and current campaign (with 4 heroes) is the one we are having most fun with (although random choice of heroes is making it haaaard for me).

Best
Geki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geki wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:

I agree. I play mainly two players (my wife as OL, I with heroes) and current campaign (with 4 heroes) is the one we are having most fun with (although random choice of heroes is making it haaaard for me).

Best
Geki

Maybe i'll try with 4 Heroes then...looks like cool enough. Would remind me of the good ol days playing Neverwinter Night on PC!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
Rhezuss,

I'm working on a variant that might help out your situation...when its finally finished I'll post, and hopefully you and your brother will like it a little more for 2 players...

EDIT: its not designed for 2 players specifically, but should be able to scale well with any number anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only completed one campaign so far with 2 players. I controlled 4 heroes it was great fun, but very tough to keep track of when they were all decked out with multiple skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Lepp
Estonia
flag msg tools
One more idea!
Me and my wife tried to play a game where we played with two heroes, both with one heroe, against open deck OL who was honestly played by both of us. Guess what? Heroes got their asses kicked
Traps worked! Everything worked! We had lots of discussions about different strategies for heroes and OL both! It was fun let me tell you! Worth trying out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Zuniga
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Could you explain a little how do you used the "open deck OL"

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Open deck means that the drawn OL cards are visible to all.
The surprise element does not apply (especially the traps), but as in any tactical situation, one adapts to what one knows.
I play that way solo, managing 3-4 heroes and it works well, when the psychological barrier is overcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.