Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have known about this company for 6 years or so, and never actually used them mostly because I think their prices and shipping costs are a little too high, but also I just never bothered doing any of my projects and didn't really need/want to, until now. I am aware they have deals on all the time, and a few times considered doing an order but never got around it seriously until this week. I am also aware the quality of their product seems to be good, and most people are happy after having used them. So this week I decide that I might finally do an order with them.

So right now, not the best deal I have seen but it appears you have two choices, 30% off on your order or free shipping if your order is $20 or more. I am looking to order 2 decks of playing cards at $9.99 each, which comes to $19.98, shipping one deck of cards is $5.99 which I think is very reasonable, but then they want an extra $5 for one extra deck (and each one after) which I think is VERY unreasonable, since the actual cost of shipping will go up ~$1 for each give or take.

So doing the math, I can save $6 with 30%, or $11 using the shipping. But wait, I am $0.02 short of $20, hmmmm, I decide to write an email to see if they will consider giving me the shipping discount anyway. Well, I think you know what happened, they valued the $0.02 MORE than a customer. I have worked in Customer Service for 25 years, and can tell you that I would not dream of telling someone they are not worth 0.02, just my point of view.

Anyway, in addition to the 0.02 fail (imho) and the fact I find their shipping policy for additional products unfair, there is something much bigger that actually bothers me about this company. When someone legitimately brings you, as a company, new business, many companies will reward that person in some usually small way to say thank you. Not Artscow. Here they have the perfect opportunity to give incentive to people to drive business to them, and let their customers know it was appreciated but they don't do it, and it would oh so easy to. My suggestion FWIW, would be to give a kickback of a lousy 1% of the sale, and to have it worth no monetary value (actual cash) but to have all kickbacks apply as a discount off any future order they do. Small, fair, simple, yet effective.

I have said my peace, I know many won't agree and that's fine by me, I just thought some might be interested in a critical perspective
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SnipedintheHead
United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I went to BGG and I all got was this Overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Artscow rant, or why I think this is one greedy company who don't care about their customers
Have you checked out Printerstudio.com ?

Similar to Artscow, but the prices are actually better and the quality of the product is also better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Artscow rant, or why I think this is one greedy company who don't care about their customers
There's a sale right now for 25% off and free shipping, which would probably be your best bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
superiorpod is nice too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to be making a huge error in logic! You claim that this would have only cost them two cents, but that's very wrong: by granting you the two cents, they'd then have to cover the cost of shipping. So... yeah. Besides, they'd already given you the option of a 30% discount! So you're complaining that it wasn't cheaper, and it seems very disingenuous. Also, trite.

And then you complain about the fact that they won't give you stuff for referring others to them? Would you actually do so anyway, given your loud (and unfounded) complaints?

Have some cheese!

If you were my customer, I wouldn't want you, either. I'd probably pay 2 cents to be rid of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of you fail to see the bigger picture, and I expected that.

For one thing, if my second item was $11, my order comes to $21, and I get the free shipping, barely giving them any more profit. (Note you can also not combine the two offers according to website)

For another, sure I am only one customer, one with likely the same opinion as many others, who just vote with their wallets in silence. Then there would also be many others who begrudging buy from them, because something they want is there and no where else but they want it enough to just buy it anyway.

If someone doesn't see the value in referrals, well I am not going to waste time trying to point out clear business acumen there. Note that even Artscow sees the value in referrals since they are currently rewarding people for bringing them business, just not for buying something YOU put on their website

The 0.02 obviously I could care less about, and likely work around, I just found it interesting how much the company valued it, from a customer service perspective. The shipping policy and the no referral policy is what really bothers me about using Artscow.

---

To the others, thank you very much for pointing out other options

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you get too upset about this take a minute and do some math and figure out why they have set this limit at $20 and stick firm to it.

Cost of cards is $9.99 per set
Shipping on 2 sets is $5.99

By the looks of it they are just charging the actual cost of shipping and not adding anything to it to help compensate for the time they spend packing and arranging the shipping. They are obviously using USPS as if they were shipping internationally with a courier you would pay WAY more than $5.99.

If they ship you 2 sets of cards for free they probably just lost all the profit on that order. I doubt they are making double on a set, but let's just say that they are making double on a set of cards, that means a $9.99 set of cards costs them $3.33 per set. So on two sets of cards they are making $6.66 TOTAL. Now if they were to give you free shipping they would make a WHOPPING $0.67 on your entire order.

They know full well that you need to order 3 sets of cards in order to get the free shipping. That 3rd set of cards pays for the shipping. This is why they don't bend. It has nothing to do with poor customer service.

So doing the math how can a company like Artscow possibly stay in business if they were to give everyone that ordered 2 sets of cards free shipping as they were only $0.02 away from the $20 free shipping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monchichi wrote:
Before you get too upset about this take a minute and do some math and figure out why they have set this limit at $20 and stick firm to it.

By the looks of it they are just charging the actual cost of shipping and not adding anything to it to help compensate for the time they spend packing and arranging the shipping. They are obviously using USPS as if they were shipping internationally with a courier you would pay WAY more than $5.99.

If they ship you 2 sets of cards for free they probably just lost all the profit on that order. I doubt they are making double on a set, but let's just say that they are making double on a set of cards, that means a $9.99 set of cards costs them $3.33 per set. So on two sets of cards they are making $6.66 TOTAL. Now if they were to give you free shipping they would make a WHOPPING $0.67 on your entire order.

They know full well that you need to order 3 sets of cards in order to get the free shipping. That 3rd set of cards pays for the shipping. This is why they don't bend. It has nothing to do with poor customer service.

So doing the math how can a company like Artscow possibly stay in business if they were to give everyone that ordered 2 sets of cards free shipping as they were only $0.02 away from the $20 free shipping?

Note the shipping on 2 decks of cards is $11, not $6.

About the 0.02, which was the least important point in my rant, of course I considered the math behind it and of course the company still needs to make money. I am pretty sure they considered the $20 limit very carefully as well.

Again, its not the 0.02, I or anyone can add a 0.99 item to put an order over the $20 limit, which if you calculate that, will NOT make them any more money. So its not the 0.02 or the $20 limit, it was how they chose to value that 0.02 more than trying to just win over a customer, which again working in customer service for 25 years is NOT something I have ever done (of course I have dealt with much more expensive products over that time, but the value of a customer remains the same)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Myers
United States
Plymouth
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Quote:
You seem to be making a huge error in logic! You claim that this would have only cost them two cents, but that's very wrong: by granting you the two cents, they'd then have to cover the cost of shipping. So... yeah. Besides, they'd already given you the option of a 30% discount! So you're complaining that it wasn't cheaper, and it seems very disingenuous. Also, trite.

And then you complain about the fact that they won't give you stuff for referring others to them? Would you actually do so anyway, given your loud (and unfounded) complaints?

Have some cheese!

If you were my customer, I wouldn't want you, either. I'd probably pay 2 cents to be rid of you!

I love math and logic it makes those pesky human emotions look silly.

EDIT: Added another quote to emphasize my point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:
it was how they chose to value that 0.02 more than trying to just win over a customer, which again working in customer service for 25 years is NOT something I have ever done (of course I have dealt with much more expensive products over that time, but the value of a customer remains the same)

When you have an automated system making a small profit on a large quantity of product, it's quite different from selling individually expensive products. In this case, the net gain from helping a customer circumvent the existing system may well be quite negative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:

About the 0.02, which was the least important point in my rant

Wrong.

It was the only point in your rant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gilby wrote:
jayjonbeach wrote:

About the 0.02, which was the least important point in my rant

Wrong.

It was the only point in your rant.

thanks for stopping by and adding that you failed to read (or can't) the OP, the thread is much better now with this addition shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KAndrw wrote:
jayjonbeach wrote:
it was how they chose to value that 0.02 more than trying to just win over a customer, which again working in customer service for 25 years is NOT something I have ever done (of course I have dealt with much more expensive products over that time, but the value of a customer remains the same)

When you have an automated system making a small profit on a large quantity of product, it's quite different from selling individually expensive products. In this case, the net gain from helping a customer circumvent the existing system may well be quite negative.

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Artscow has been a great service for me. They've provided me with a lot of great deals, have produced a good product for the price, and have been willing to fix it if they've screwed up. They've given me codes for free product, not only for referrals, but just for being a customer of theirs for X amount of time.

Here's the calculation for your request:

Amount time to create and input a special coupon code for one first-time customer who is not quite ordering the bare minimum to qualify for an offer * $/hour of administrator's time (possibly more than one depending on how linked their customer service and coupon code generating functions are) > Amount of profit from not quite bare minimum order + (possible future order profits, given that first order was not quite minimum amount)*(likelihood of future orders, given that first order was not quite minimum amount)

If you were $.02 cents away from hitting a volume discount threshold that would be one thing, but to be short of the minimum order and to rant and rave about not getting treated special is something else entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:

If you were $.02 cents away from hitting a volume discount threshold that would be one thing, but to be short of the minimum order and to rant and rave about not getting treated special is something else entirely.

And that is really the crux of the 0.02 point, if you value your business every customer is special and worth a lot more than 0.02.

I will admit that my CS practice and dealing with much more expensive products is maybe something that doesn't port over directly to much cheaper items since the amount of profit is much much smaller, but I do think you always have to value each and every customer no matter what business you are talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weirdboy_1 wrote:
Have you checked out Printerstudio.com ?

Similar to Artscow, but the prices are actually better and the quality of the product is also better.

Thank you again for this, their shipping on multiple items is also priced more fairly so it looks like I will do an order with them soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm playing a game... and I have to have $100,000 to win... and I only have $98,000 ... you gonna let me win?

They aren't changing the rules mid-stream... that would be unfair. The aren't cutting you some slack. ... would you be willing to overpay them be $0.02 or would you complain if they didn't notice the error?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they set that $20 on purpose to make you purchase three packs of cards...why not set it at $29?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eat2surf wrote:
If I'm playing a game... and I have to have $100,000 to win... and I only have $98,000 ... you gonna let me win?

That depends. Is it the first time I have played with you? If I think letting you win means we might play together again in the future, sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
If they set that $20 on purpose to make you purchase three packs of cards...why not set it at $29?

Psychology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

Indeed. The intent was not to get you to buy 3 packs, that would be a very short-sighted view as well, considering they have 100's of other products. It was simply setting a threshold they felt was enough to cover off the shipping, of which I was 0.02 short.

Had I noticed they had 0.99 items I likely would not have bothered sending them an email at all, but now that I have it just added a 3rd reason to not want to order from them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:
...I do think you always have to value each and every customer no matter what business you are talking about.

Really? I have to value each and every customer? Even the ones that actually end of costing me both time and money?

Spoken like someone who has either never owned a business, or owned a business that failed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
infochuck wrote:
jayjonbeach wrote:
...I do think you always have to value each and every customer no matter what business you are talking about.

Really? I have to value each and every customer? Even the ones that actually end of costing me both time and money?

Spoken like someone who has either never owned a business, or owned a business that failed.

Wrong on your last 2 points.

Well, a, geez, if I have a BAD customer I might have to consider not keeping them. Good work there, I'm sure no one considered that obvious point, another great addition to the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:
charlest wrote:
Had I noticed they had 0.99 items I likely would not have bothered sending them an email at all, but now that I have it just added a 3rd reason to not want to order from them

This is the key to the whole discussion. You can bet your bottom dollar that they knew their products were priced x.99 when they set the free shipping threshold at $20. Encouraging customers to buy an extra item to reach the free shipping was part of the idea in setting those sale parameters.

I wonder if anyone has tried asking Amazon to give free shipping at $24.98 instead of $25? I'm betting they'd respond the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are also assuming that the only thing people are ordering from Artscow are ($9.99) playing cards. There are lots of ways to mix and match the multitude of other products they offer to easily get above $20. Those products just happen to not interest you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
jayjonbeach wrote:
charlest wrote:

This is the key to the whole discussion. You can bet your bottom dollar 0.02 that they knew their products were priced x.99 when they set the free shipping threshold at $20. Encouraging customers to buy an extra item to reach the free shipping was part of the idea in setting those sale parameters.

I wonder if anyone has tried asking Amazon to give free shipping at $24.98 instead of $25? I'm betting they'd respond the same way.

FTFY

In one way I do kind of wish I had not sent the email, but I did learn about another company so something positive did come from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.