Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
So I recently sold a bunch of Magic cards to CoolStuffInc for store credit, and I have a little over $200 to spend. (I know, "woe is me," right?)

The trouble is, even though I have a wide array to choose from, the ability to acquire so much at one time is a little bit of a daunting task. I don't necessarily want to simply buy, just to buy, but I'm not sure what criteria I should hold myself to.

If you were to look at my Wishlist (BGG and RPGG), it is quite vast due to Secret Santa exchanges I'm participating in. My tastes in games are pretty wide open.

Things I'm contemplating:

1) Should I buy a bunch of expansions to games I already know and like, such as Memoir '44 or PitchCar?

2) Should I buy all new games that I am interested in, such as Napoleon's Triumph, Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game, 1812: The Invasion of Canada, Talisman (Revised 4th Edition), and Super Dungeon Explore? (Note: I already bought myself some Star Wars: X-Wing stuff, and SDE is on sale today)

3) Should I buy a few big ticket games like Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) or Antiquity even though I've never played them and my only gaming partner is my wife who wouldn't be too keen on a game lasting too long.

4) Should I hold off until I get Secret Santa gifts to see if they got me anything? (Note: I've already missed out on multiple CSI sales over the past two weeks taking this approach.)

I know this sounds like a dumb problem to have, and and I'm not looking for pity.

I'm just looking for some solid recommendations for what you would do if you were me in this situation.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Ikari
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cringe at thinking about selling any of my Magic cards. Even though I would be surprised if I ever get to play again.

I would just go for what you want, especially if you see it for a great price, just let ppl know that are part of the Secret Santa, course some would think this approach is ruining the experience which it might actually be. In that case I would go for a big ticket item, since it is unlikely that a Secret Santa would spend that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask yourslef which ones you will most likely end up playing. If TI3 ends up sitting on your shelf, I wouldnt get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Ask yourslef which ones you will most likely end up playing. If TI3 ends up sitting on your shelf, I wouldnt get it.

But how will I know if it will end up sitting on the shelf if it's never on the shelf to begin with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

But how will I know if it will end up sitting on the shelf if it's never on the shelf to begin with?

Easy, its a 3-6 player game that is best with 4-6 and you only have 1 other player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
La Donn Wittenburg
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your profile I would suggest getting several games that fit your enjoyment factor and those that you think your group would enjoy. No need to buy a game like ti unless you have a group that would play it often. I've gone a little crazy myself but depending on what you like you should easily be able to get enough games for free shipping and place a second order later if finding many games you want at once is difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:
So I recently sold a bunch of Magic cards to CoolStuffInc for store credit, and I have a little over $200 to spend. (I know, "woe is me," right?)

The trouble is, even though I have a wide array to choose from, the ability to acquire so much at one time is a little bit of a daunting task. I don't necessarily want to simply buy, just to buy, but I'm not sure what criteria I should hold myself to.

If you were to look at my Wishlist (BGG and RPGG), it is quite vast due to Secret Santa exchanges I'm participating in. My tastes in games are pretty wide open.

Things I'm contemplating:

1) Should I buy a bunch of expansions to games I already know and like, such as Memoir '44 or PitchCar?

2) Should I buy all new games that I am interested in, such as Napoleon's Triumph, Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game, 1812: The Invasion of Canada, Talisman (Revised 4th Edition), and Super Dungeon Explore? (Note: I already bought myself some Star Wars: X-Wing stuff, and SDE is on sale today)

3) Should I buy a few big ticket games like Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) or Antiquity even though I've never played them and my only gaming partner is my wife who wouldn't be too keen on a game lasting too long.

4) Should I hold off until I get Secret Santa gifts to see if they got me anything? (Note: I've already missed out on multiple CSI sales over the past two weeks taking this approach.)

I know this sounds like a dumb problem to have, and and I'm not looking for pity.

I'm just looking for some solid recommendations for what you would do if you were me in this situation.

Thanks in advance.

Since you have already missed the CSI sales, why not see how the Secret Santa Exchange pans out? I know that is probably a difficult thing to do since you have the credit. The anticipation of receiving games is awesome! wow

Anyway, recommend staying away from the big epic games like TI3 if your gaming group consists of you and your wife. It's difficult getting these types of games to the table even if you have a large gaming group. I suggest a mix of an expansion or two, something that interests you, and maybe something that interests your wife. For those of us who don't enjoy the goodness of a gamer wife cry, I would think it's important to further her gaming habit too. One other thing, save some credit for a future order, maybe down the road a bit, but not to far down the road!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larva_the_shinma wrote:
Looking at your profile I would suggest getting several games that fit your enjoyment factor and those that you think your group would enjoy. No need to buy a game like ti unless you have a group that would play it often. I've gone a little crazy myself but depending on what you like you should easily be able to get enough games for free shipping and place a second order later if finding many games you want at once is difficult.

Obviously, (Points to your Golden Boardgame Collector microbadge.)

I'm probably not going to get TI3 even though it is intriguing. On the other hand, the chance to buy Antiquity has really piqued my interest. My wife will probably talk me down though since I can get 4 or 5 games for the price of one Antiquity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know during CSI's Black Friday sale I went expansion happy. I think I would be tempted with expansions and newer games versus the big ticket item. I would leave those to when you know you are getting a deal on them maybe via an auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.