Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You and me...We're in this together now...None of them can stop us now...We will make it through somehow
mbmb
Last Saturday I taught my wife and kids to play Dominion. About midway through the game, my younger son (8) announced that he thought the game was great. I wasn't surprised that he liked it, but I was glad.

But then he said, "You know, so many card games like War and stuff that my friends play are so dumb. You don't really do anything. I like this game because you actually do something with the cards and have to think about it. Ugh, I hate games where you don't have to figure stuff out and all you do is turn over the next card."

A completely organic, unprompted indictment of mindless, card turning, total luck-driven, roll-and-move drivel, all from the mind of an eight year old.

Now that made it a proud day for dad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Bear in mind he'll be saying similar about your taste in music in about 4 years...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! You bring a tear of joy to the eye of gamers everywhere.

Recently, my wife was suggesting Christmas plans with her parents and suggested that "we keep it low key this year. Have dinner and play some games." My Mother-in-Law responded, "You know, it's been years since I've played Bunco Party!"

I think I threw up a little in my mouth. gulp

Could I swap my in-laws for your son this Christmas? meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You and me...We're in this together now...None of them can stop us now...We will make it through somehow
mbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Bear in mind he'll be saying similar about your taste in music in about 4 years...

True, but for now he is just making me promise to take him to see Rush at the very next opportunity. Twist my arm.

danwojciechowski wrote:

I think I threw up a little in my mouth. gulp

Could I swap my in-laws for your son this Christmas? meeple

You are a heck of salesman...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woody Taylor
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:

True, but for now he is just making me promise to take him to see Rush at the very next opportunity.

Amen! My 12 year old also loves Rush and wants to see them live. I've been lucky enough to see them three times... once behind the barricade with a photo pass I can't wait to take him and relive some of those memories. Twist my arm, indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
woodshow wrote:
esirof wrote:

True, but for now he is just making me promise to take him to see Rush at the very next opportunity.

Amen! My 12 year old also loves Rush and wants to see them live. I've been lucky enough to see them three times... once behind the barricade with a photo pass I can't wait to take him and relive some of those memories. Twist my arm, indeed.

Awesome! Rush was the very first show I ever saw... Thirty years ago (I was only 12! Very irresponsible older brother of a friend took me. ). I've seen them at least once in every decade since. I'm hoping they swing back this way after Europe next summer. If you've not watched it together, I highly recommend the documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's weird that he said that and he still likes Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool story. It's fascinating to see people's horizons broadening...

danwojciechowski wrote:
My Mother-in-Law responded, "You know, it's been years since I've played Bunco Party!"
"Yes. And it will be many more..."

Or you could just put King of Tokyo (or another dice game) on the table and say to her: "It's like Bunco Party, but even better..." devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!!

Conversation between my 8 year old and I... I was tired from work and did not really want to play a game...

Son: Come on Dad, let's play!
Dad: Matt, Dad is just home from work and it was a long day.
Son: We'll pick a short one.
Dad: Dad is too old.
Son: Dad, you're not THAT old
Dad: **Thinking himself clever** Yes, Matt, but I'm getting there.
Son: *After a moment's thought** But Dad, we're ALL getting there.

At which point I realized I was beaten and we played the game..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You've just described my dream. I hope my 4 year old will want to play my games with me as he gets older (he sure does now) and see Rush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.