Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Chase
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
I'm thinking of trying a way to make a super-short version of the game.

Three Propaganda cards, each shuffled into a group of eight cards, and so a total of 24 regular event cards.

There are 24 different types of player sequences (e.g red, then yellow, then blue, then green) on the cards, and three cards of each type supplied with the game, so to make it more fair, the deck used would be made up of one of the three from each of the 24 player sequences.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Most especially, any thoughts on how it may affect the play balance between the four factions?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing I might do is to put the propaganda card either all the way on the bottom or shuffled into the last 4 cards, so it's not too short. With such a short game, I'm not sure it would be an issue to just let everyone know that the propaganda card is last, so people can maneuver for last action, but if you want to keep the uncertainty, at least keep it from being a 16-20 card game, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure this would work, but it might just be the way that I play. I don't think would be enough turns for anyone to get properly setup to actually win. But, maybe that's not the point. Whoever comes closest to winning would end up being a more realistic target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The good news is, since it's shorter, you can more easily try it out as an experiment. Give it a go and report back!

By the way, C3i magazine Nr26 about to ship will include a quick-play scenario of my devising. Certainly there are several ways to do it ...

vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance G
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
...determines everything.
badge
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
mbmbmbmbmb
Impatiently waiting for my C3i copy to arrive with all the goodies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gehazi mann
msg tools
Having now read the C3i variant, this was surprisingly close, with the obvious weakness (not enough time to get much done) addressed. Volko, do you think it's worth ensuring equivalent numbers of "faction first" cards for your variant, or is it better to let the game work itself out in the tumble of negotiation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gehazi. For the regular game, we did quite a bit of testing for whether the initiative order of the 12 removed cards had any impact on wins. It did not to us appear to. I believe this is because the effects of unevenness in initiative on the cards is dampened not only by negotiation but also by the Eligibilty-Ineligibility mechanic and the fact that events that are good for a particular faction tend also to be bad for that faction in their alternate (dual) use.

The quick play scenario, however, allows less time to recover a position, so may be more susceptible to imbalance from a variety of factors, card initiative included.

My recommendation, since quick play is short, would be to play it once as written, then examine the initiative of the cards that were played and make an initial judgment for your group as to whether any lopsided initiative present was a big driver of the outcome. I expect it will not have been. But if I'm wrong, then play any subsequent quick play games by first dividing the deck into fourths, one pile for each lead initiative faction, and ensure that cards to be used are drawn equally from each pile.

vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gehazi mann
msg tools
Makes sense. Seems to be a detriment to have multiple cards good for your faction come up back-to-back, since you can't execute both events.

Very happy to have this scenario available, since it means I should be able to teach and run the quick-play scenario in a short (3 hours-ish) evening.

Given that this is C3i-published, would you prefer that details be kept to that publication or are you happy to have them listed here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, and thanks for asking. That's a good question, and I don't have a good answer. It'd be fine by me, but it's not my say. So, sorry to be dodgy about it, but perhaps you could ask Rodger MacGowan, who puts out the magazine?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.