Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cliff curtis
United States
west allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I heard the map is not a thick mounted map. just a cheap thin paper like thing. is this true? I wont pay 60 USD and not get a thick hard mounted map

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
cliffote2 wrote:
I heard the map is not a thick mounted map. just a cheap thin paper like thing. is this true? I wont pay 60 USD and not get a thick hard mounted map

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/890901/no-mounted-board-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, it is a paper map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am completely baffled. I follow forums on dozens of new wargames and I have never seen this level of discussion about paper maps which are almost universal for wargames.

Has this game attracted a unique demographic of people who don't normally buy wargames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, this 'mounted map' thing is getting to be a bit tiring. In three years of discussion with GMT, and on this board, a mounted map was NEVER stated as being a feature.

This is particularly ridiculous since the standard for GMT is unmounted maps NOT mounted ones. Games that later had mounted maps even had to go through the P500 process to get one.

I think it is a dis-service to Knut who has done a beautiful map in my opinion and followed my wishes to a tee.

This is my last word on mounted maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys I'm actually confused by the lack of mounted maps in recent GMT CDG's too - as I believe Gene advised last year that CDG's - owing to their popularity - would from then on be accompanied by them.

That could be where the confusion on the part of some consumers is coming from?

I may have read Gene wrong but it has resulted in my passing on this game too unfortunately.

With Washington's War, Wilderness War, and For the People now having mounted maps (though the latter is now out of print), Madison's War should have been given one too imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own 12 GMT games right now. Only 2 of them had mounted boards. I did not expect to see mounted boards with Madison's War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Successors, Washington's War, Wilderness War, Sword of Rome, Labyrinth, Andean Abyss, Here I Stand, Virgin Queen, 1989, Twilight Struggle, Dominant Species, Urban Sprawl, (the award winning) Sekigahara, No Retreat, and Space Empires - are the current GMT games I own with mounted boards

You can soon add Fading Glory

Edit: Can't forget Leaping Lemmings for that list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only 2 GMT games I own, Twilight Struggle and 1989 have mounted maps. When I heard rumors and saw a picture with "final map board" title on it, I jumped to conclusions.

Here's hoping that MMW continues to sell well (it looks promising so far!), and has a mounted map awaiting it in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One reason not to do a mounted board in this case concerns the nature of the map. Most of the movement boxes are found in a thin strip bisecting the mapsheet, just where a mounted junction would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Grand Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xlegion wrote:
Yes, this 'mounted map' thing is getting to be a bit tiring. In three years of discussion with GMT, and on this board, a mounted map was NEVER stated as being a feature.

This is particularly ridiculous since the standard for GMT is unmounted maps NOT mounted ones. Games that later had mounted maps even had to go through the P500 process to get one.

I think it is a dis-service to Knut who has done a beautiful map in my opinion and followed my wishes to a tee.

This is my last word on mounted maps.

I got into designer board games in 2009. I now own 6 GMT titles. Every single one has a mounted map. So for me the "GMT standard" is the game having a mounted map. I own and enjoy Washington's War, so when Mr. Madison's War got onto my radar I just assumed it too would have a mounted map. I don't think that's really a stretch in the logical sense for someone who doesn't hang out in message boards or devour every single bit of info about a board game.

Sorry for being one of those ridiculous people that had that assumption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
FinalPhalanx wrote:

I got into designer board games in 2009. I now own 6 GMT titles. Every single one has a mounted map. So for me the "GMT standard" is the game having a mounted map.

Quite honestly, that is an astonishing coincidence. I doubt they have more than ten games in their entire catalog with mounted maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Grand Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
FinalPhalanx wrote:

I got into designer board games in 2009. I now own 6 GMT titles. Every single one has a mounted map. So for me the "GMT standard" is the game having a mounted map.

Quite honestly, that is an astonishing coincidence. I doubt they have more than ten games in their entire catalog with mounted maps.

Based on the quote above by Adam Parker there are at least 18. Everything he listed + C&C: Ancients.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FinalPhalanx wrote:
mcszarka wrote:
FinalPhalanx wrote:

Based on the quote above by Adam Parker there are at least 18. Everything he listed + C&C: Ancients.

Well, many of those games did not have mounted maps in their first edition. And several of the others are not wargames. It's still a remarkable coincidence to have only purchased GMT games with mounted maps. It is a recent trend. But I suppose someone who has only been buying GMT games for the past couple of years might have different expectations from the rest of us grognards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I prefer paper to mounted maps. I have a sheet of perspex which I used over all my wargame maps when I play. Even if the GMT map happens to be mounted I still place the perspex on top to protect it and to give a really solid playing surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several instances on this game's reference page here on the Geek of the use of the word "map board." One is in the description of the game, another in a caption under the image of the map. That, along with the recent history of their publications, gave me no reason to expect anything other than a mounted map. I'm sure I'm not alone in that. So, I too was deeply disappointed when I unboxed my copy to find inside just a paper map for the game.

Frankly, I thought GMT had finally turned a corner on this nonsense. People who own stacks of old GMT games with paper maps may be happy and may even actually prefer them (as we tiresomely hear every time this subject comes up) - they certainly must be used to being treated to this sort of product to be so staunchly defending it in the face of constant criticism. The industry standard for games of strategy has changed folks. Even the old hex and counter games by the venerable Avalon Hill invariably had mounted maps. We are talking "board game" here are we not? SPI put paper maps in zip-loc bags at one time but I'd like to think we've moved on considerably since then.

I think GMT has some nerve charging the price points they do for what often amounts to nothing more than a couple of counter sheets, a paper map, plain paper rules, and a pair of dice. The improved production quality of a number of recent titles made me think they had finally got the message.

Finally, being expressly published for the 200th anniversary of the subject of the game, I had expected a bit more of a premium quality approach in deference to the bicentennial of Mr Madison's War (especially considering the normative opinion south of here as to the outcome). Really disappointing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:

I think GMT has some nerve charging the price points they do for what often amounts to nothing more than a couple of counter sheets, a paper map, plain paper rules, and a pair of dice. The improved production quality of a number of recent titles made me think they had finally got the message.

You're paying primarily for the intellectual property, not the components. Wargames require massively more research and design effort than comparable board games. Do you seriously believe that GMT are making oodles of money selling wargames? They're doing well enough to stay in business, but I doubt GMT is planning a hostile takeover of Hasbro anytime soon.

The Eurogamers can have their pretty bits. I will take history instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
as we tiresomely hear every time this subject comes up

Hopefully we can all agree the subject is tiresome, no matter which side we support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itsmarty wrote:
Bubslug wrote:
as we tiresomely hear every time this subject comes up

Hopefully we can all agree the subject is tiresome, no matter which side we support.

Stop reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it was deliberate or not but even on GMT's own web-page that describes the game there are two references to the "map board" and "game board" before listing "map sheet" in the list of components. I don't blame anyone for being at the very least confused or led to believe the map might be mounted. Carelessness? Unconscious acknowledgement that a "board" should be involved in some way? If the term is simply a generic reference maybe we should consider why that is. I'm not sure who I'm more annoyed with: GMT for disappointing us in this or those that insist we should have never expected a proper "board" in the first place...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:

Funny, I got a pretty nice deck of cards in mine as well, since its a CDG and all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't speaking specifically of Madison's War but a reference to the former(?) template of many of GMT's war games. I thought some of their recent publications were showing more promise - but I do grant you those cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
I wasn't speaking specifically of Madison's War but a reference to the former(?) template of many of GMT's war games. I thought some of their recent publications were showing more promise - but I do grant you those cards...

Richard - it's not just GMT's template to produce paper maps. Most of the major primarily wargame companies have done so for ages. So if you need a mounted board to enjoy a game, you will also want to avoid companies like MMP, Worthington Games, Columbia Games, and Lock 'n Loaded. It's a niche industry and given the small print runs, most companies can't afford to produce wargames with mounted boards. The fact the GMT has started to offer some games with mounted boards is a sign of their financial growth as a company. The mounted boards are usually done for their anticipated big sellers. I don't think this game is one of them.

Me, personally, I'll play their games with either board option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Edlund
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Today just isn't your day...
mbmbmbmbmb
I swear I must have read the word "board" online somewhere because I assumed my copy would have come with one.

It's kind of a nuisance more than anything that it didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.