Subject: Week 13 NFL Observations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't watch all of the games, but I figured it was important to keep this series going, at least for this week.

My Texans took care of business, methodically taking apart the Titans. But their defense is weakened going into the showdown with the Patriots. It'll be another season-defining game. Are they really ready for playoff-caliber opponents?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the Steelers won a game when no one expected it. Of course, this just helps make up for losing at least three games that everybody expected them to win (Tennessee, Oakland, Cleveland). Charlie Batch is no Big Ben, but he played well enough, and it was good to see Troy back in the line-up and James Harrison almost back to his old self. If this team could just get healthy (especially at QB), maybe, just maybe, they might make some noise in the playoffs. Oh, and for all of the talk of the Steeler's defense being old (which, to some extent, it is), they are still, yes, the number one rated defense in the NFL. Dick LeBeau knows how to coach defensive football.

BTW - Raven's fans - you will not will a Superbowl with Joe Flacco behind center. He's not the answer. Also - give the ball to Rice more - I can't believe how under-utilized he is at times by the Ravens. If I coached that team, I'd hand off to him at 25 times a game, and throw it to him 5 to 10 times as well. He's that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Patriots fan and I'm definitely concerned about the upcoming match-up with Houston. The Texans have some strong weapons and the Pats defense has been prone to giving up big plays. Plus, Gronkowski is out and he's one of New England's most dangerous weapons. I fear this will be a Houston win: 31 - 27.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Playing for draft pick again this year...yipee!

2. Calvin Johnson knocking on the door of the single season receiving yards record. Seems it's easier to rack up passing stats when you're playing catch-up in every game.

3. Did the 49ers really come that close to 2 ties in one season? Why are all the decent teams so schizophrenic?

4. I told you all weeks ago the Bears were paper tigers. Every test against a formidable foe they have failed. They might limp into the playoffs, but I would expect a one-and-done performance out of them.

5. AFC is leveling the playing field with the NFC. NFC has won 27 interconference games and AFC has won 21.

6. Battles for the wild card spots are getting really interesting. No one is really running away with them.

7. Time to start the rest-vs-rust debates for some teams. Wish my team could be in that position once in my lifetime.

8. Tebow is listed as injured and can't play on the Sunday they finally bench Sanchez. Coincidence? I think not.

9. Speaking of...did anyone subject themselves to that game? I've heard it was so epically bad that Brian Billick was struggling not to laugh while calling the game. Smart move signing that long-term contract with the Cardinals, Fitzgerald.

10. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone connected to the tragic events in Kansas City. Tough to even think about football after something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
World Cup time!!!! All work in the morning will include the tv being on Fox or Telemundo. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Broncos continue to win. Their schedule has lightened considerably, so we shall see how good they really are come playoff time. Winning out the season, or at least beating Baltimore in a few weeks should get us a bye and some home-field, hopefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

BTW - Raven's fans - you will not will a Superbowl with Joe Flacco behind center. He's not the answer. Also - give the ball to Rice more - I can't believe how under-utilized he is at times by the Ravens. If I coached that team, I'd hand off to him at 25 times a game, and throw it to him 5 to 10 times as well. He's that good.

Yeah, but if you do that, how long will he last? If you can still win games by using him less, saving him for the bigger games, why wouldn't you? Yes, the Steelers won, and they are in-division rivals, but they weren't really a threat to Baltimore's record this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest update on the 2012 Philadelphia Eagles season:

Still screwed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Packers gained ground on every team in their division, and put together a gritty bounce-back from the embarrassing game plan and execution (theirs) in New York (New Jersey).

Their 11:00 drive in the fourth quarter was the sort of thing that propels a championship team forward. They lost two starters during the game to injury, adding to their decimated unit as it was. But they dug deep and found a way to beat their bitterest rival, Minnesota, on a day when Adrian Peterson ran for over 200 yards.

Our corners shut down all receivers, who had no catches until the two they got in the garbage time of the last couple of minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If we lose the rest of our games, we'll have a top 5 draft pick. I'm going to the Colts-Titans game this sunday in Indy (bought the tickets before the season started) and I'll be in my Titans gear cheering for the Colts to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to attend an NFL game someday. My family doesn't care about sports and I haven't lived near a team since I left home. I assume the Patriots will play at Soldier Field someday, then I'm guaranteed a win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Oh, and for all of the talk of the Steeler's defense being old (which, to some extent, it is), they are still, yes, the number one rated defense in the NFL.

I'm a Steelers fan. I was excited to see them beat the Ravens and was touched by Batch's emotion on the sideline when Suisham kicked the game winner.

That said, the Steelers are not the best defense in the league. They are rated first for the wrong reasons - mainly because they've played one of the softest schedules. After controlling for strength of schedule they are still good, but they fall out of the top 10.

Quote:
Dick LeBeau knows how to coach defensive football.

That's the truth.

Quote:
Also - give the ball to Rice more - I can't believe how under-utilized he is at times by the Ravens. If I coached that team, I'd hand off to him at 25 times a game, and throw it to him 5 to 10 times as well. He's that good.

Also the truth, but mainly because he's on two of my fantasy teams.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
The Packers gained ground on every team in their division, and put together a gritty bounce-back from the embarrassing game plan and execution (theirs) in New York (New Jersey).

Their 11:00 drive in the fourth quarter was the sort of thing that propels a championship team forward. They lost two starters during the game to injury, adding to their decimated unit as it was. But they dug deep and found a way to beat their bitterest rival, Minnesota, on a day when Adrian Peterson ran for over 200 yards.

Our corners shut down all receivers, who had no catches until the two they got in the garbage time of the last couple of minutes.

I've re-watched this one a bit more closely and while your corners did really well, there were PLENTY of open receivers. The problem is that our QB is gawd-awful and a piece of crap. Had we a better QB for that game, we win by at least a TD, imho.

And I promise that I'm not saying that as a bitter Vikings fan, either. I'd already resigned myself to knowing that you guys have the better team this year, for sure. I just think that we win that game with a better QB (and maybe some better receivers OR if Percy Harvin is there that would have helped too...)

Still, I was proud of how we did all things considered, honestly. We could have easily won that game in Lambeau, too! Craziness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
You like those ex-Jets QBs, right? Mark Sanchez should be available soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
diehard4life wrote:

I've re-watched this one a bit more closely and while your corners did really well, there were PLENTY of open receivers. The problem is that our QB is gawd-awful and a piece of crap. Had we a better QB for that game, we win by at least a TD, imho.

And I promise that I'm not saying that as a bitter Vikings fan, either. I'd already resigned myself to knowing that you guys have the better team this year, for sure. I just think that we win that game with a better QB (and maybe some better receivers OR if Percy Harvin is there that would have helped too...)

Still, I was proud of how we did all things considered, honestly. We could have easily won that game in Lambeau, too! Craziness!

I agree with most of what you said.

The rivalry is the most amazing one in sports, imho. No matter how much disparity of talent exists on either side of the line of scrimmage, the teams are almost dead even in record for the series, including the horrible seventies and eighties for the Pack.

There are always open receivers (I still think our corners confused the qb and covered exceptionally well) and Ponder is a quarterback I like quite a lot. But he's been too reliant on the amazing tight end. That happens. I'm just glad it didn't happen on Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not week 13 related, but I figured you guys would know: who was the player a few years ago who got fined for taking out a Sharpie after scoring a touchdown? What did he do exactly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Not week 13 related, but I figured you guys would know: who was the player a few years ago who got fined for taking out a Sharpie after scoring a touchdown? What did he do exactly?

Terrell Owens. After scoring a touchdown, he took out a Sharpie, signed the football, and gave it to someone in the stands.

http://www.sikids.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0808/top.td.c...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpie_%28marker%29

EDIT: Sniped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, two answers in six minutes. You guys are awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.