BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Card based strategy game for couple rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spenser Wun

Mississauga
Ontario
msg tools
My partner and I are looking to pick up a card based strategy game. We only have played light euro games and are looking for a 2 player game that we can both enjoy and delve deeper into and explore/discuss the strategy and inner workings of the game.

We currently own Pandemic, 7 Wonders, The Resistance, Anomia, Cards Against Humanity, Kittens in a Blender, Survive: Eascape from Atlantis, and Telestrations. All relatively light games.

We are looking for a game with:
- Good theme and artwork.
- High re-playability.
- Can be played right out of the box.
- Relatively easy to grasp rules.
- Low luck factor.
- 45-90 mins play time.
- Preferably not hard sci-fi.

Games we are considering:
- Dominion
- Seasons
- Summoner Wars: Master Set
- Race for the Galaxy (probably too sci-fi)
- Android: Netrunner (we eventually want to try this down the line, if not now)

I will be extremely grateful for your opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest to have a look at San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, Race for the Galaxy is great although it can be difficult to learn for some people and it's hard sci-fi.

Dominion is probably a good choice, although I think you need expansions to get replayability beyond 20 or so games. Once you add a few expansions you will have replayability for the rest of your life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo is amazingly fun but may be a little too light and luck based for what you want. But you should definitely take a look at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rapa Nui

Here is a link to a place to buy Rapa Nui. 28.49 isn't a bad price. This game is a little hard to find.

http://www.amazon.com/Heidelberger-Spieleverlag-692087-Kosmo...

Innovation

Yomi

I know what each of those games are like to play. And I like them. Low luck? Maybe. Low enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
"Low luck factor" and "card game" are frankly pretty directly at odds. Are you sure a card game is what you want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities?

Race For the Galaxy is great...but based on San Juan so maybe that would be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory to Rome is my choice for this category. The Black Box edition has more sophisticated artwork. We've played it 49 times, almost all 2p, and there are lots of different strategies to try, and lots to discuss.

At the Gates of Loyang is a card game with bits, and plays very well 2p. Nice artwork, colorful, plays just under an hour for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Cyrus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
If I had known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely encourage your consideration of Dominion and Seasons, although Dominion is quite a monetary investment if you're going to be buying multiple sets (and you will want to).

Regarding the other suggestions, Innovation, although it lacks a lot in the art department, is a great two player card game with much opportunity to discuss strategy and planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rose
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game is deck builder that unlike Dominion has a rotating pool of cards anyone can buy. This mechanic allows for more replayability than a single box of Dominion.

+2 Race for the Galaxy is my favorite game right now. The learning curve feels a little steep, but once you get the hang of it gameplay is very smooth. It took 40+ plays of the base game before it started to feel a little dry. Now I'm excited to make my way through the expansions.

The theme in both these games is well fleshed out and readily apparent, but since there is no narrative element I don't see why they should turn anyone off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iadrianik wrote:

and Rivals for Catan. Like San Juan, it, too, has expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the sci-fi theme is completely irrelevant in Race for the Galaxy, and I think it's a great game . . . but not one you can play right out of the box. If you're willing to take the time to study the cards to learn what they REALLY do, which takes only about 30 - 45 minutes to go through every single card in the basic set, it's a wonderful game. The value-6 cards are pretty complicated until you read them carefully, but after that the game runs swiftly and is a lot of fun.

I also think highly of Glory to Rome. I've owned the game for a long while, much before the black box edition. I love the brightly colored cards and dislike the blandness of the black box version. This game too requires a session of just looking over the cards, another 30 minutes or so, and then you can play with ease.

In my opinion, taking the time to read each card makes both of these games very pleasurable.

I think the same will be true with Innovation, a game I've played only once to date. I've just received my own copy and plan to read the cards before playing it with anyone. Reviews have said that it's best with two players.

P.S.: I think San Juan is too simple to provide long-term fun, but, on the other hand, it's a super game to teach to new players or to use when you need a short game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line is a great two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamille
Germany
Berlin
F/hain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i recommend

Lost Cities +1
2 de Mayo
Kahuna
Caesar & Cleopatra

EDIT: I forgot
Al Cabohne 2 player variant of Bohnanza whistle

greets hessi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleCON: War of Indines might be a good one for you. It is a card game with ZERO luck, and 16 characters that play completely differently from each other. There is a ton of variability in the box including boss modes, 4 player melee, optional stages, etc. I love it and never get to play it enough.

You could even try before you buy:

the app for iOS devices: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battlecon/id498143398?mt=8

or the free print and play that Level99games has available here: http://www.battleconnection.com/index.php?option=com_joomdoc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
iadrianik wrote:

and Rivals for Catan. Like San Juan, it, too, has expansions.

I'm gonna suggest either San Juan or Rivals of Catan. Also, San Juan may have an expansion but its out of print and hard to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord Of The Rings Living Card Game is a nice buy and will definitely have you talking strategy - there's not that much luck involved and much planning. It's also cheap unless you get absolutely carried away with the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spenser Wun

Mississauga
Ontario
msg tools
I don't particularly find San Juan's or Catan's theme that appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I'd second San Juan despite your misgivings.

Catan Card Game is lacking IMHO.

Consider: Coloretto Good at any number (including 2), themeless and very appealing to any demographic. Not terribly deep but very tense decisions with a sense of both "push your luck" and "put your opponent in a tough corner"

Also: Trick of the Rails Very strategic economic game.

I'd also highly recommend Saint Petersburg. Good game for 2-4 players (plays differently with each count). It has a board but that's used to give places for the cards and the score marker. You could completely play it without the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Dominion and Nature of the Beast: Farm vs. Forest will be fun for both of you.

Do not buy Dominion however, unless you are willing to buy at least one full-sized expansion. The base game won't give you a whole lot of replayability, while each expansion adds a lot to it. The base game plus one full-size expansion will give you a lot of gameplay.

I also recommend trying Innovation. People's reaction to it are hit and miss because it truly is different than anything else out there, but it is my favorite two-player card game and everyone I've showed it to loves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ateddybear10 wrote:
My partner and I are looking to pick up a card based strategy game. We only have played light euro games and are looking for a 2 player game that we can both enjoy and delve deeper into and explore/discuss the strategy and inner workings of the game.

We currently own Pandemic, 7 Wonders, The Resistance, Anomia, Cards Against Humanity, Kittens in a Blender, Survive: Eascape from Atlantis, and Telestrations. All relatively light games.

- High re-playability.
- Low luck factor.
- 45-90 mins play time.

- Dominion
- Seasons

You could take a look at Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game if you're at all into comic books. Less of an investment than dominion if you get into it, most likely.

Android: Netrunner was my first thought until I got to "no sci fi" but if you can get by the sci-fi theme, it's probably worth looking at. Could run into big cash eventually though as it's a "living" card game.

I'll also give a thumbs up to Seasons, particularly if you're playing 2p most of the time. The big complaint about Seasons is it drags with 4, but it moves quite rapidly with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ateddybear10 wrote:

- High re-playability.
- Low luck factor.
- 45-90 mins play time.

- Dominion
- Seasons

Pick up Netrunner if you find it on sale! Definitely worth it.

I'd also suggest Game of Thrones ... there are two versions now, the living card game and the hbo 2 player version. Both are playable out of the box, and the LCG is obviously more open to replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spenser Wun

Mississauga
Ontario
msg tools
lordrahvin wrote:
I think Dominion and Nature of the Beast: Farm vs. Forest will be fun for both of you.

Do not buy Dominion however, unless you are willing to buy at least one full-sized expansion. The base game won't give you a whole lot of replayability, while each expansion adds a lot to it. The base game plus one full-size expansion will give you a lot of gameplay.

I also recommend trying Innovation. People's reaction to it are hit and miss because it truly is different than anything else out there, but it is my favorite two-player card game and everyone I've showed it to loves it.

I have ordered Innovation, cheaper and seems interesting without being too SF/Fantasy focused. Thanks!

Stormtower wrote:

Pick up Netrunner if you find it on sale! Definitely worth it.

I'd also suggest Game of Thrones ... there are two versions now, the living card game and the hbo 2 player version. Both are playable out of the box, and the LCG is obviously more open to replayability.

Down the line I would definitely love to try Netrunner, I don't think it ever goes on sale in Canada unfortunately :/ HBO GoT looks interesting, I will wait on more reviews before purchasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rivals of Catan, is easy and has gorgeous artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.