Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of a netflix for boardgames, but I'm hesitant to make the plunge.

I realize there is an older thread on this very topic, but rather than resurrect that sucker from the debris pile, I thought I'd start anew.

I was hoping that some current customers might weigh in on their experiences.

I have a few questions I would like answered:

What's the general condition of their games? A rating from "MINT!" to "Sticky-Cheeto-Fingered-Garbage" would be appreciated.

Are the games received typically the ones at the top of your rental queue? I understand that not all games are available at all times, but are they pretty reliable in this respect?

Any and all relevant stories/responses/experiences are welcome, but I don't want this to turn into a boardgameexchange bashing thread (we seem to have one of those already).

I am genuinely interested in hearing about their customer service and quality of product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
A-L-L that 'moi' could rightly proclaim "is": that neither them NOR their "games" have ever been within MY 'kitchen'! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at their library? They're basically dead. Here is the complete list of what's new:
Catan Junior: Explore The Seas
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
Core Worlds
Dragon Rampage
Glen More
Hive
Hive Pocket
Kingdom Builder
Lost Temple
Lupin The Third
Pizza Theory
Revolver: The Wild West Gunfighting Game
Rex: Final Days Of An Empire
Stone Age: Style Is The Goal
Takenoko
Talisman: The Blood Moon
Tanto Cuore Base Game
Upon A Salty Ocean

Here's what they don't have (from the last couple years):
Eclipse
Mage Knight
Android: Netrunner
Ora et Labora
The Castles of Burgundy
Summoner Wars
Lords of Waterdeep
Trajan
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
A Few Acres of Snow
Village
Dungeon Petz
King of Tokyo
Flash Point
Lancaster
Seasons
etc.

I'm not sure why you'd want to subscribe to a service that only has old games, but knock yourself out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

I'm not sure why you'd want to subscribe to a service that only has old games, but knock yourself out.

Because many older games are just as good (if not better than) the newer ones?

Now, if the business is dead, that's another story...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did notice that their library was somewhat dated, but there are a lot of games on that list I'm interested in trying.

In any case, I was simply curious about their service. I agree that if it's new games you're looking for, then they're not for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Have you looked at their library? They're basically dead. Here is the complete list of what's new:
Catan Junior: Explore The Seas
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
Core Worlds
Dragon Rampage
Glen More
Hive
Hive Pocket
Kingdom Builder
Lost Temple
Lupin The Third
Pizza Theory
Revolver: The Wild West Gunfighting Game
Rex: Final Days Of An Empire
Stone Age: Style Is The Goal
Takenoko
Talisman: The Blood Moon
Tanto Cuore Base Game
Upon A Salty Ocean

Here's what they don't have (from the last couple years):
Eclipse
Mage Knight
Android: Netrunner
Ora et Labora
The Castles of Burgundy
Summoner Wars
Lords of Waterdeep
Trajan
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
A Few Acres of Snow
Village
Dungeon Petz
King of Tokyo
Flash Point
Lancaster
Seasons
etc.

I see four games I would get from the in stock list with five from the not in stock. Also, I fully expect them to have more towards older games. Games take space so they can only add in a certain amount. It took me like 4 or so months of posting on here before I knew of the service so if more people did know about it and use it, they could offer more. Since I got rid of a sub for something else, I fully expect to use the service at some point. I lead a gamers group. If somebody asks about a game at least I have a way of getting the game for them to try out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
curtc wrote:

Because many older games are just as good (if not better than) the newer ones?

That's the reason to buy them, not rent them. You rent things you don't know if you want to buy. Or you just want to try once. It's not usually hard to get a play of an older game in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
I fully expect them to have more towards older games. Games take space so they can only add in a certain amount.

They're not adding any. That's the point. There's nothing from 2012. Only a very small number from 2011. And not even the highest ranked ones.

matthean wrote:
It took me like 4 or so months of posting on here before I knew of the service so if more people did know about it and use it, they could offer more.

You didn't hear about it because nobody uses it. But not for lack of getting the word out. They had a big contest, lots of promotion / discussion, etc;
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/622240
Then they tried releasing different subscription pricing plans/models. It just doesn't work economically.

matthean wrote:
Since I got rid of a sub for something else, I fully expect to use the service at some point. I lead a gamers group. If somebody asks about a game at least I have a way of getting the game for them to try out.

What does "got rid of a sub" mean?
Unless you're sure you don't want to own a game, you're far better off just buying it.

But to more directly answer the OP's original question: here's a thread from folks who use(d) the service: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/695410

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel obligated to point out:
I spoke with their tech support team, and they said that their current website is dated and they are in the process of moving over to this website: http://boardgame.rent-manager.com/all-games.html
More games are available over there, although I am not actually a user of the service. In the end, the math of costs made me not want to try it out: You are paying, under the basic level, $17 to rent a game for one month, and you keep paying for each month. If you hold onto a game for three months, you have paid $51.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean a press release over a year before I got here? It doesn't matter if it is an older game or newer. If I haven't played it then I don't know how much I will like it or not regardless of how well loved it might be. Memoir '44 came out in 2004. It is highly thought of. It frustrates me to no end, and I only found that out by playing it. A sub being a subscription as in I was subbed to a MMO and I no longer am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
If you hold onto a game for three months, you have paid $51.

The same could be said of Netflix's DVD service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
jayelbird wrote:

Sure, the same could be said, but it'd be wrong. Netflix doesn't cost $17 a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
I spoke with their tech support team, and they said that their current website is dated and they are in the process of moving over to this website: http://boardgame.rent-manager.com/all-games.html

Ahh, ok. Yeah, that does look a little better. Still very sparse, but not as bleak as their old site makes it look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
You mean a press release over a year before I got here?

You may or may not be aware, but there were a lot of people here in Feb '11. Even if you weren't. If the service made sense to gamers, they would use it. But it doesn't, and thus they don't. Not for lack of knowing about it.

matthean wrote:
It doesn't matter if it is an older game or newer. If I haven't played it then I don't know how much I will like it or not regardless of how well loved it might be. Memoir '44 came out in 2004. It is highly thought of. It frustrates me to no end, and I only found that out by playing it.

It's highly regarded mostly by people who first played it soon after it was released. People tend to judge things based on the times. And times change.

matthean wrote:
A sub being a subscription as in I was subbed to a MMO and I no longer am.

Unlike MMOs, most people want to actually own games they like, so that they can play them repeatedly, and have a choice of what to play, not just one at a time. But hey, if you're hung ho for it, by all means go for it. Let us know how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
molnar wrote:
matthean wrote:
jayelbird wrote:

Sure, the same could be said, but it'd be wrong. Netflix doesn't cost $17 a month.

Most people would rather simply buy the DVD than pay $24 for having it 3 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input on the particulars of their business model and catalog.

Anyone actually use the service?

Anyone know what condition the games are in?

Anyone have a story relating to dealing with the good people at game exchange more recently than February?

As I mentioned in the original post, I am aware of the earlier (largely negative) thread on this topic. I am simply curious as to whether things have improved to the point that someone interested in the service but hesitant would be wise to sign up or take a pass.

I didn't mean to open a can of worms here - just looking for insight via others experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
callow wrote:
Anyone actually use the service?

I've been watching for stories of folks with good experiences (more than like the first month) and haven't found any. You can easily search the entire site for boardgameexchange.

callow wrote:
Anyone know what condition the games are in?

If you're renting them, who cares? Unless you're thinking of actually buying, in which you'll quickly realize that you're paying way too much for a used game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.