Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: OCTGN Censored? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Courtney
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know where I can find the uncensored cards for OCTGN?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Please don't ask for these in a public space.

Please do not post a link as a reply to this request.

The card images are censored for about 6 months and in return FFG 'looks the other way'.

Doing otherwise may jeopardize our ability to play on OCTGN or to get new cards or continued support in the future.
37 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Shelton

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First rule of Fight Club, and all that jazz...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Collard
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
The card images are censored for about 6 months and in return FFG 'looks the other way'.


I was wondering about that. That's pretty cool.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I'm sure you've already got the physical game, you can always replace the censored images with your own scans

Here's a guide I've written: http://octgn.gamersjudgement.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=496

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Please don't ask for these in a public space.

Please do not post a link as a reply to this request.

The card images are censored for about 6 months and in return FFG 'looks the other way'.

Doing otherwise may jeopardize our ability to play on OCTGN or to get new cards or continued support in the future.


TBH I don't even know if FFG cares anyway. The "six months" thing came out of AGOT when it was posted in the official forums, but it could have been just for that reason. WHI was/is being provided uncensored for a long time and nobody said anything. Might be because they don't care about it though, dunno.

In any case, we're just doing it to be on the safe(r) side, although I don't think FFG would mind. But problem is that they likely can't come out and say *that*
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Courtney
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the game coming in and it should be here Thursday. I was going to use OCTGN to teach myself how to play before it arrived.

However, I'll try and find some videos in the mean time.

Anyone recommend the best walk-through video after I've read through the rules a few more times?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Engel

Illinois
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to make an uncensored version myself with the high quality scans available at cardgamedb.com.

It takes some time, but I thought this was a little faster than scanning in all of my cards when high quality images are available online. I don't know if the quality is as high as you could get with your own scanner, but it seems plenty good enough to me. I hope this isn't in violation of anything, I don't see how this is really any different than using your own scans.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
leshrac55 wrote:
I was able to make an uncensored version myself with the high quality scans available at cardgamedb.com.

It takes some time, but I thought this was a little faster than scanning in all of my cards when high quality images are available online. I don't know if the quality is as high as you could get with your own scanner, but it seems plenty good enough to me. I hope this isn't in violation of anything, I don't see how this is really any different than using your own scans.


IANAL, but using someone else's scans is copyright infringement. FFG has sort of informally allowed that sort of use 6 months after release date, but there's nothing stopping them from asking to shut it down on some future date.

Using your OWN scans is much more likely to fall under "fair use" than using someone else's.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
Using your OWN scans is much more likely to fall under "fair use" than using someone else's.


Fair use and general copyright infringement only applies if you are sharing the images. If you're just personally using them, then nobody will know either way and nobody will care.

As it is, everything is copyright infringement anyway. From cardgamedb to the plugin using the censored images. It just so happens that FFG recognises the benefits of allowing the plugin to exist unmolested.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.