Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Jones
United States
edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of a light naval game and my wife loves pirates. I entertained the idea of Dread Fleet but the investment was too high, so I decided this would be a good starting point. I was unsure where exactly to start, but I just picked this collection up on Ebay for $15. Will that be good to get me going?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing exactly what's in that stack I can't say for sure, but with that many cards you should have more than enough to get a great start! :arrrh:

Be sure to grab all three of these files - they should be able to help you out with any possible questions you might have about the rules:
Pirates Reference Diagrams
Pirates Master Keyword List
The Pirate Code (FAQ/Errata)

(In case they don't help or you can't find what you need, don't hesitate to ask.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Jones
United States
edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Thanks!

Part of me is afraid of jumping in at this point. I know if I like it I'll want a good collection, and I'm guessing at this point I'll be paying a premium for it?

Can packs still be found at stores? Am I better off doing what I just did for the time being? Picking up lots on ebay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First - a game is usually 30 points per side. Considering you have at least 500+ points worth of stuff in that pile I think you have more than enough to get going and play many games with a wide variety of fleets and strategies.

Second - Pirates is still fairly inexpensive.

So, yea, you are good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglum01 wrote:
First - a game is usually 30 points per side. Considering you have at least 500+ points worth of stuff in that pile I think you have more than enough to get going and play many games with a wide variety of fleets and strategies.

Second - Pirates is still fairly inexpensive.
The "standard" fleet value was bumped up to 40 a couple sets in, but that's really just a recommendation - you can set that to any number you want.

Booster packs of Pirates can still be found in various places. Check your FLGS first, but it's also worth checking at places like Hobby Lobby. Even Target/Shopko/WalMart/etc. carried them for a while so you might get lucky and find a few there.

I also recommend checking out www.miniaturetrading.com - that's where most of the remaining community for the game resides, and there are a bunch of people with tons of spares that they're always looking to sell and/or trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Jones
United States
edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thanks for the tips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it all boosters or is there some sort of base game that the booster packs are building on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob weattababy
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Packs is all that is needed. In fact, some people play tournaments where all contestant's fleet consists of the random contents of several packs. Each pack contains an island and money, so you have the objectives and prizes in each pack.

Get woelf's pirates code (errata) for the game and read it through. The only thing that isn't included in each pack, is the older and newer rules contained in other expansions. Key words appear on some cards and don't appear in the rules for that particular set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob weattababy
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sksuser wrote:
Packs is

.. Grammar fail. How can I thumb down my own post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The designers of the game wanted it to be playable by two players straight out of one pack, so they included some very basic rules to "get your feet wet," so to speak, before really jumping in. One-pack intro games generally aren't very balanced, but with a set like what you have there you should be able to pick out two similar mid-size ships and try it out with someone. At least that's how I would recommend starting out if you're having trouble just jumping straight into a full game, and that's how it was intended to be learned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James K
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend gave me a handful of ships and islands. That is how I got started. It is a really fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.