Popular Tags: [View All]
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only have Chronicle of the Godslayer not Storm of Souls.

I see it says that this is can be played as a stand alone 2 player game, and lists as 1-2 players.

Will it play up to 4 as long as I have extra cards gems etc. from the CotG base set, or is that only possible with SoS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
CotG + IH will work for 4 players. I would recommend the partnership rules over FFA. That said, CotG is less interesting when you have IH becaus a bunch of the Soul Gems are Heroes from CotG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I wasn't talking about shuffling IH into CotG, was just wondering if the basic components like honor tokens and starting cards would be enough to play IH with 4.

What additional components/cards are needed to take IH to 4 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think just the IH center deck would be able to properly sustain 4 players. You would probably go through the whole deck easily. Yeah you could reshuffle the void, but it would probably mostly contain just monsters. I don't think playing Ascension this way would be enjoyable, then again I don't really consider Ascension to be a great 4 player game regardless so it can't really hurt to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know how many center deck cards there are in the Storm of Souls set?

I know that CotG has 100 vs only 69 in IH so I can see what you mean about there possibly being a shortage there.

I also appreciate your being candid about your bias against the 4 player game. Wish more people would include such personal thoughts when answering questions like this.

I'm actually deciding whether to purchase the set in the first place. I'm buried in 2 player games and don't really need another, especially when we already play so much ascension on iOS. If it can readily support 3-4 though I may consider it. (and most polled seem to enjoy the multiplayer games of the prior sets)

My main question really is what additional cards and components are needed to play 3 and 4 players which are not already in the IH box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SoS has 96 cards.

What you need to play IH with 3 - 4 players:

Just 3 players: +2 militia, +8 apprentices, +30 honor, 30 Mytics minus # of Mystics in IH, 29 Heavy Infantry minus # of Heavy Infantry in IH

Up to 4 players: +4 militia, +16 apprentices, +60 honor, 30 Mytics minus # of Mystics in IH, 29 Heavy Infantry minus # of Heavy Infantry in IH

That's what you would need to play it. I'm not sure if it would actually work or not. Three player may work with just IH, but I don't know.

I think Ascension is a decent 3 player game but I don't think I would ever play it as a 4 player anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the detailed card breakdown!

So what is it you dislike so much about Ascension 4 player. Too chaotic? Too much downtime?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too much downtime and while Ascension is a pretty tactical game, with 4, you literally can't depend on anything being in the center row by the time it get's to your turn. So players just tend to zone out while waiting for it to come back to their turn. A good 4 player card game that's cheap and work well from 3 - 4 players is Glory to Rome. That game always keeps people involved in every round due to the thinking/following. You could also consider Eminent Domain with 3 - 4 if you want something a little easier to teach than Glory to Rome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Already have GtR and EmDo, thanks though for making the recommendations!

We use the 6x2 or 4x3 preview row variant during tabletop Ascension play so that reins in a bit of the center row chaos while adding a bit more tactical depth and planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Perhaps Rune Age and it's expansion would be more suited to you for some 4 player fantasy card gaming with deck building mechanics thrown in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.