Subject: The Artwork is Kinda Ugly. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Am I the only one who thinks this? I mean the little characters on the race sheets just seem really gray and ugly compared to something like Twilight Imperium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
To each his own. I find it remarkably refreshing. TI's art looks like nearly everything else fantasy puts out. Typical mass-market fantasy/sci-fi cover art. Not bad, just unremarkable.

More importantly, I find the overall graphic design to be quite clear and functional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Well compare this

to this

I mean you could make the argument that the TI guy looks a bit like a 40k guardsmen knock off, but it does a lot to distinguish itself from 40k, and 40k does have a good art style. Where as the eclipse one, the alien's armor is grey green, its skin is grey, its helmet is grey green, even the red for its eye is muted, the helmet looks out of place. Its facial features all just kind of smoosh together. It just looks drab. The game is excellent, but I'm hoping for a reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Eclipse could have better artwork, but the art it has now does not detract on how good the game is for me. I will not mind if they release upgrade packs though (like the rumoured ship packs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork of the races may not be for everyone (I think they are boring, but perfectly serviceable), but you won't be looking at them after setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the humans show a lot of character. For example, when you want to deny someone from playing Planta without actually playing them yourself, your avatar has an appropriately spiteful demeanor:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
freddieyu wrote:
I agree that Eclipse could have better artwork, but the art it has now does not detract on how good the game is for me. I will not mind if they release upgrade packs though (like the rumoured ship packs).

Yeah I won't disagree that the game looks like it plays fantastically, but I'm hoping for a second edition with better artwork before I buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a FYI, the artist Sampo visits these forums on a regular basis. While feedback and expression of opinion are encouraged on this third party site, it would be nice to phrase your opinion in a slightly more tactful way. In my interactions with the designers they have always been positive and respectful and it wouldn't hurt to show that in return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Man... I'd quote The Dead Milkmen but I'd be breaking forum rules with the quote. Whoever gets the joke can just chuckle along with me.

The art seems typical to me. I don't see a problem with it. I really doubt they would redo all the art for the game, and it's such a waste to avoid the game based on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the amount of expressed testosterone is your metric for the quality of character art, you'd probably do best to just avoid this game altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
tranenturm wrote:
Just a FYI, the artist Sampo visits these forums on a regular basis. While feedback and expression of opinion are encouraged on this third party site, it would be nice to phrase your opinion in a slightly more tactful way. In my interactions with the designers they have always been positive and respectful and it wouldn't hurt to show that in return.

I'm pretty sure the character art is the one thing Sampo did NOT do in the game, actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
NateStraight wrote:
If the amount of expressed testosterone is your metric for the quality of character art, you'd probably do best to just avoid this game altogether.

No I very specifically stated that the color pallet is my primary gripe. With character design being a close second. There is just far too much gray, there isn't enough contrast at all. The helmet makes him look like a scrunchy faced Devo band member with a skin condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BillyBabel wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

No I very specifically stated that the color pallet is my primary gripe. With character design being a close second. There is just far too much gray, there isn't enough contrast at all. The helmet makes him look like a scrunchy faced Devo band member with a skin condition.

I guess I've always admired this kind of soviet-bloc thematic consistency that gets produced at every level, from the characters to the color palette.

I find that fantasy and sci-fi have a remarkably uniform aesthetic (cf the Dragonlance covers, FFG (though recent titles show a departure), etc), and it's one that I've never been all that interested, partly because its hegemonic status discourages the kinds of simple, bold designs that Eclipse subscribes to. Wonderful, clean lines without being too hospital-like. The iconography too trades the various baroque transparencies and lightening effects typical of the current generation of graphic designers for something simple, if a little dirtied up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Cole Wehrle wrote:
BillyBabel wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

I guess I've always admired this kind of soviet-bloc thematic consistency that gets produced at every level, from the characters to the color palette.

I find that fantasy and sci-fi have a remarkably uniform aesthetic (cf the Dragonlance covers, FFG (though recent titles show a departure), etc), and it's one that I've never been all that interested, partly because its hegemonic status discourages the kinds of simple, bold designs that Eclipse subscribes to. Wonderful, clean lines without being too hospital-like. The iconography too trades the various baroque transparencies and lightening effects typical of the current generation of graphic designers for something simple, if a little dirtied up.

This is what I'm assuming you mean when you say soviet bloc type art, like the old kinda propaganda posters with the heavy use of the red as the scale, but even in those posters that use only one color like that, they have even more contrast and their colors stick out even more because they'd have to be seen from a distance. if that character art up there was made into a poster, it would get harder and harder to see as you got farther away because the colors don't pop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't really referring to propaganda posters. In general, I don't find that games need to make things "pop" the same way posters do. In fact, when they try the result often muddy and distracting. On the whole, I think bold, striking colors are overused in graphic design for games. Often, when working with player components that take on bold colors, they easily either clash or blend the various boards (see the tokens of Mage Knight). There's plenty of "popin'" color in Eclipse, but it's found in the player pieces. The rest of the art stays nicely in the background.

Also, I was speaking mainly with architecture in mind.

Edit:

Also, not the best example (because it does not evenly evaluate contrast, among other things), but one easily made:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gleb Semenjuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BillyBabel wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks this? I mean the little characters on the race sheets just seem really gray and ugly compared to something like Twilight Imperium.

No, most TI fanboys who like cartoons and comic books think the same. It's normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the colour palette and character design. As others have said, it's refreshing departure from all the rainbow/super-saturated, action-packed artwork out there.

I think Sampo Sikiö is the main graphic designer / UI guy and
Ossi Hiekkala is responsible for the race/box artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Cole Wehrle wrote:

Edit:

Also, not the best example (because it does not evenly evaluate contrast, among other things), but one easily made:

See, I like the artwork in Eclipse (reminds me of covers for old sci-fi novels), but to me, the pieces contrast much better with the TI picture than the Eclipse one in that image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always liked games that have an original art style to games that rehash the same old same old. Michael Menzel produces some of the finest board artwork, but it is still not something I want to see in every game. Same goes for the super generic scifi/fantasy style. Sure, it looks good but I'd much rather see stuff like Ascension, Sentinels of the Multiverse or Eclipse. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I generally prefer original artwork to derivative artwork, even if the derivative artwork is of higher quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pawndawan wrote:
I really like the colour palette and character design. As others have said, it's refreshing departure from all the rainbow/super-saturated, action-packed artwork out there.

I think Sampo Sikiö is the main graphic designer / UI guy and
Ossi Hiekkala is responsible for the race/box artwork.

I personally really like the art in Eclipse. It's different, it's thematic, and it's slightly funky without being over-the-top or in-your-face. Super saturation is not always a good thing. Eclipse is far and away my favorite of this type of game, and the more sophisticated art is definitely a part of that preference.

JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
DeePee wrote:
I've always liked games that have an original art style to games that rehash the same old same old. Michael Menzel produces some of the finest board artwork, but it is still not something I want to see in every game. Same goes for the super generic scifi/fantasy style. Sure, it looks good but I'd much rather see stuff like Ascension, Sentinels of the Multiverse or Eclipse. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I generally prefer original artwork to derivative artwork, even if the derivative artwork is of higher quality.

Donkler wrote:
I think the humans show a lot of character. For example, when you want to deny someone from playing Planta without actually playing them yourself, your avatar has an appropriately spiteful demeanor:

I agree. It's not FFG style art work by any means, but it's really fitting, original and it sticks out on the shelf. And as for the Terran Union avatar, it has more human character than most avatars I've seen in games. Markus, would you agree that this avatar has a certain...Finnish look to her? It might just be me being prejudiced (I am Swedish after all), but that alone makes me favor the Eclipse artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kollapse wrote:
Markus, would you agree that this avatar has a certain...Finnish look to her?

Actually, now that you mentioned it, I think she is infact one of my teachers from school. wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:
Cole Wehrle wrote:

Edit:

See, I like the artwork in Eclipse (reminds me of covers for old sci-fi novels), but to me, the pieces contrast much better with the TI picture than the Eclipse one in that image.

I think this is mainly a function of my choice of a direct overlay. I didn't want to seem to partial so I just put both samples in the bottom right, however a beter comparison would have been to move the cubes up on the TI picture so they could have been in a "lighter" zone, such as over the dude's face. Also, the transparency is a little different so that the cubes on the left have a little less depth. I didn't realize either of these things until later. When I get home I can do it correctly .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeez, some of the replies here are adorable. The guy is simply stating his opinion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He did state his opinion in a way that seems intended to agitate. If you're going to post a highly subjective opinion on a public internet forum using highly declarative statements (i.e. "ugly"), you should expect some disagreement.

For the most part the discussion has been pretty respectful - though some of the derogatory comments against the Eclipse artist seem over the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.