Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Drach
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've only played Amazonas once so far and liked it but there are some things in my mind that took away from the game play. The kids (and me) found it real long and boring to keep 'bidding' and moving around the Order of Play cards. Now maybe I just didn't understand the concept or strategy behind it but it seems that it did slow the game down a lot going through that exercise each round.

Next time we play I was thinking of doing away with this aspect of the game play and just moving the #1 card clockwise each round. I was thinking it would speed things and in my inexperienced opinion, I didn't see the real advantage to playing first anyway. Yes, you got first choice of hut placement (maybe) but most rounds we didn't have the income to place a hut anyway.

Would I be missing some key component to the game by doing away with the bidding to play first and just rotate it or is there some purpose that I am yet not fully aware of? Are there other things I can do to make it more 'cutthroat' for the kids?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Radzykewycz
United States
Ijamsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We (my wife, twin 9-year-olds, and I) just played this game for the first time tonight. I can see your point about the order of play cards. However, it really made a difference when the "Native" event card came up. Knowing that we had to bid in a particular way to try to get first crack at the token added something to the game that would have been lost otherwise.

The game itself doesn't have much inherent conflict between players. For the most part, "screwage" appears inadvertent. I'm sure there are others who will provide a more learned opinion. (We only logged one game in the 90 minutes or so that we were at the table, which included reading the rules and getting over the learning curve. My guess is that our next game will take an hour or less.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn order is crucial in this game. There is a strategy article I wrote a number of years back that goes into it. In short form, going first enables you to pre-empt other players by getting first cut at natives, huts, locations, the complete collection victory chips, and more. Strategically, this game is very much about squeezing a silver here and a silver there to finance your growth.. and when to go first, and when NOT to, is the main competitive interaction.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyn Tuck

Akron
OH
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I understand your frustration, the passing back and forth of the player cards was a pain. However if you are in a race to the next village and need the hut space that only costs 2.

My solution was to take one hut from everybody and keep the cards at one end. As player order is figured out we put the huts on the cards. So far nobody has needed their huts back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.