Mark F
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

Checking here for people that roll-their-own cigarettes just for opinions on tobacco/paper/filter brands.

Disclamer:
I really don't want this thread to derail to "Cigarettes are bad!" thread,
I believe we are all relatively responsible adult people and if someone chose to smoke, respect this decision.
Personally, I really don't want to discuss this matter, but I smoke because it helps me to cope with a health problem I have, kind of like a conscious placebo effect.
You can argue with me that "You're just trading your X for the risk of cancer" but it's not comparable, and I've already made the choice.
Also I'm not interested in derailing this thread into a drug thread.
Tobacco only please.

So...What products do you usually buy?

So far I've tried Blue and Yellow Bali-Shag and the Green Golden Virginia (No idea if they have other types of golden virginia).
For filters I use Virginia filters, and for papers I've tried OCB, the Bali-Shag papers that come with the tobacco and Rizla papers.

Tobacco-wise, the better tasting one was the Golden Virginia then the Yellow Bali then the Blue Bali. However, Bali-Shag is of general better quality, meaning that they clean the tobacco for pieces of stem before packaging, and golden virginia still has a small bit of debris inside.
Also Bali is alot easier to roll, and it comes with their own papers bundled with the tobacco.
The papers are EXCELLENT and it's a shame that they're not available to buy seperately.
Rizla papers are of slightly lower quality, and I didn't like the OCB papers at all, they're so thin, they're a nightmare to roll, although people have told me that if you actually succeed in learning to roll them right, they're the best.
Using virginia filter tips, I was told that they're not that neccessary in self rolled cigarettes, but I just have no idea how to properly roll and smoke a filterless cigarette.

What are your experience with self-rolled cigarettes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I used to roll Jester when it was still available, but the last couple of times I have picked up a packet of tobacco I have gone with Stockholm Blend which is apparently made by Peter Stokkebye. I also had their Turkish Blend and I did not like it one bit.

I've either used rolling papers that came with the tobacco, or I've also used ZigZag filtered tubes that work with a little stuffing machine. I prefer the tubes for pre-making cigarettes for an evening out, but I like to hand-roll them when I just have a packet in my pocket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My preferred one is called Halfzware Shag, a mix of Kentucky and Virginia tobacco. The brand itself is not that important to me. I used to smoke Drum, but in the last years I turned to cheaper brands that are sold at German discounters.
As for the paper I use Gizeh or papers similar to it and I don't use a filter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I used to smoke cigarettes, unfiltered Drum (dark blue) tobacco was by far my favorite, followed by Bali-Shag that came in to replace it after it stopped being sold here for some reason (CA, U.S.).

I tried others, like American Spirit, Bugler and Top, and while the former was interesting and sometimes good, the later two were bleh right out of the bag/can without tinkering with them.

I haven't smoked a cigarette since 1999, but when I get a craving it's for the Drum/Bali. However I heard that Drum isn't really Drum anymore (in terms of quality), so I'm not sure how good any of them really are. If you have a local smoke shop I'd pop on by and see what they have/recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Drum for me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drum. About 25 years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
badge
My wife is the one who smokes, so these are observations:

There is a yellow packet for Golden Virginia (evidently it is a 'smooth blend')

Her preferences are:
Golden Virginia (green)
Cutters Choice
Amber Leaf (some packets of this rolling tobacco include rolling papers and filters)

Swan filters
Rizlas - usually blue, sometimes green

Though she has recently started trying e-cigarettes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Golden Virginia & Rizla+ Blue. I don't use filters as my rollies are too thin!

I've smoked rollies for over 20 years. 'Normal' cigarettes now taste too dry and 'chemically' to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Cigarettes are bad.

That said, another vote for Drum.

Ah, memories...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
"You do not stop playing games when you get old; you get old when you stop playing games." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
mbmbmbmbmb
My Dad settled to "Cutter`s Choice" and the green Rizla`s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark F
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How's drum in comparison to Bali Shag? I think there's Red and Blue drum available here (Are the color designations considered "standards"? Will Drum blue be similar to Bali blue?)
Also, How are the rest of the bali shag compared to the types I've already tried?
I've liked the yellow one tastewise, didn't like the blue one, there's also Red and Tan "Nature" Bali Shag, should I try them?

Also, I've just seen Red Rizlas here, what's the difference between different colors? (Except obvious stuff like paper size)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amber Leaf & Golden Virginia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Rizla - medium weight
Green Rizla - same as Red, but with corners cut off
Blue Rizla - light weight
Rizla Silver - *very* thin, and quite expensive
Rizla Gold - french watermarked, like rolling with wet silk (a good thnig)
Rizla King-Size - whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm partial to Old Toby, Southern Star, and Longbottom Leaf, myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:

Aren't they hobbit-forming? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark F
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:

AdrianPHague wrote:
Red Rizla - medium weight
Green Rizla - same as Red, but with corners cut off
Blue Rizla - light weight
Rizla Silver - *very* thin, and quite expensive
Rizla Gold - french watermarked, like rolling with wet silk (a good thnig)
Rizla King-Size - whistle

Thanks! Rizla red is okay for me right now, although I'm bummed that you can't buy the Bali Shag papers directly, they're better. I checked and it seems that Rizla Green isn't sold around here, also saw that they have a Liqourice tasting paper, seems interesting...

So, no one tried Bali Shag nature to tell how is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason, the glue on the licorice papers is terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for halfzware shag here. Drum or doue egberts.

I use green rizla cos they're sold everywhere here but I don't have a preference for papers once they maintain structural integrity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.