Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently acquired Talisman plus the Reaper expansion in a trade. I got it to the table Saturday night, a three player game.

It took us five hours. Oh god, you say to yourself, why?? I don't know. I guess we were joking around a lot and looking up the occasional rule and probably waiting way too long to go for the Crown. Oh yes, and there was beer. Anyways, it took five hours.

But it was fun! We all enjoyed it, although I won't be starting any Talisman games at 11 pm anymore (yeah, we finished at 4am).

I have owned Runebound for several years now, and my opinion of the game has been slowly declining as I log more plays. I can only say that Runebound doesn't "feel" like having an adventure. Talisman does. The sheer variety of different encounter cards was great. And the player screwage! So good. My friend was the thief and quickly aroused our ire by doing what thieves do (read: stealing our crap). But much hilarity ensued when, later in the game, the sorceress landed on him and stole his mule, forcing him to drop four items. I hadn't laughed that hard while playing a game in a good while.

Oh and another memorable highlight: my elf stumbled upon a magical colosseum, wherein he was permitted to teleport a character of his choice to challenge to single combat. Ah-ha! I thought. That sorceress has lower strength than I do. I'll gank her and swipe an item. Sadly, she cast some crazy spell that summoned a bear, and I had to fight that instead. Funny, and memorable. I can't remember a damn thing from any game of Runebound I've ever played.

Anyways, I'm a believer now. I'll be buying more expansions, I am sure. And playing Talisman some more. There are new stories waiting to be told.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnus Maximus wrote:
I recently acquired Talisman plus the Reaper expansion in a trade. I got it to the table Saturday night, a three player game.

It took us five hours. Oh god, you say to yourself, why?? I don't know. I guess we were joking around a lot and looking up the occasional rule and probably waiting way too long to go for the Crown. Oh yes, and there was beer. Anyways, it took five hours.

But it was fun! We all enjoyed it, although I won't be starting any Talisman games at 11 pm anymore (yeah, we finished at 4am).

Sounds about right for your first game with beer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
Magnus Maximus wrote:

Sounds about right for your first game with beer.

Our games usually last that long without beer :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok great, I don't feel so bad now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Talisman club.
I've been addicted since the 2nd edition (early 80's).
In some ways, I think I like the 2nd edition better than the 4thRev edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Talisman has been on my radar for a while, but when I initially found out it was a "roll and move", I decided it couldn't possibly be good. Now that I've actually played, I see it as a strength: your movement options are go to A or go to B. Once we figured out the game flow, we were whizzing through turns in a minute or less. I love that. I just rationalize the fact that you have to move exactly the number you roll by thinking of the board geography as an abstraction rather than as a map of the realm.

Now I can't wait to buy a bunch of Talisman stuff. I will heed the deck dilution warnings I have read, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best thread I've read at BGG in a long time.

thumbsup thumbsup

Edit: You need an avatar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa! Dude, like...whoa!

(thanks so much. I am actually moved.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post Steve!

I simply love that game meeple

Next time, write about more highlights and submit it as a session report to get extra ! Talisman stories are always welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Silva
Italy
CARPI (MO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnus Maximus wrote:

One of the major problem that leads to long time sessions is that the players don't feel themselves strong enough to travel in the other internal regions ... so they try to reach higher levels of strength wandering in the outer region for long time; but I think that when a player reaches STRENGTH 8 is ready to travel in the internal regions.
This is because, as you know, you can add the values of the objects and the followers in a combat, so really your strength is greater that it seems.

Roberto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is great that there are so many different tastes in gaming. But there's no activity other than sleeping that I want to do for five consecutive hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdiel Xordium
msg tools
mbmb
RayGuns wrote:
In some ways, I think I like the 2nd edition better than the 4thRev edition.

The 2nd edition had art that was both distinctive and beautiful (at least for the base game and the first expansion). The 4th edition has generic fantasy art, and the art for the board needs to be completely re-done. It's not terrible but there's nothing special about it. It's certainly better than the WoW inspired art for FFG's Rune___ games, but I expect more for Talisman.

Other than that, 4th edition is better than 2nd edition in every way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, the old suddenly-you're-fighting-a-bear trick! Brings a tear to my eye.

As far as choose-your-own-adventure storytelling games go, Talisman is the undisputed king of the genre. It's not so much "roll-and-move" as you note, but using the die to provide a binary choice—left or right? The city or the crags? The Demon, a dragon and a measly sack of gold or the Princess on a donkey? These are the choices that lead to apotheosis... or damnation.

Once you get a knack for knowing when you're strong enough to make a run at the crown your games should start to come in at around 90 minutes. Not that I feel the game needs to be shorter—who's in a hurry to end an evening telling tales with friends and beer?—but that's been my experience. Now we all gear up furiously and run at the center like waves crashing on rocks.

Enjoy—and never forget that the Talismangler knows your True Name!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report.

I agree with your sentiments. For an adventure game, I want it to be about generating cool stories, scenarios, and item/encounter/spell combinations, not really about high tactics. I want it to kinda feel like playing a tabletop RPG (I'm not into those anymore, but I miss some of the narrative play). Runebound always seems dry to me; after a while I feel like I'm just throwing dice, plowing through monsters, trying to power up enough to face the next color, etc. With Talisman - of which I played two more games last night, incidentally - I find myself getting wrapped up in the atmosphere and actually paying attention to the locations on the board (it probably helps that the board looks beautiful; it's a real work of art).

So yup. Thanks for all the welcomes to the wonderful world of Talisman. And a HUGE thank you to Hatchling for buying me an avatar! I feel like I've finally arrived...

(edit: Don't mean to keep slagging Runebound, it's just my main basis for comparison. There are things I like about Runebound, but its parts don't quite gel into a compelling game from my point of view).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.