Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Fenrick
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rule book it says to perform a search action to pick up treasure, but is the search a skill check or do you just burn the action and get the treasure guaranteed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
tacoSEVEN wrote:
In the rule book it says to perform a search action to pick up treasure, but is the search a skill check or do you just burn the action and get the treasure guaranteed?

No skill check; you just burn the action to do it. You then flip the search token; if it's the special token, you take it, otherwise you just draw a Search card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fenrick
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, I made them use an awareness skill check. Was more fun to not know if you'd get it. Damn though, all that gear they will get now will ruin me. Thanks for the note!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you get the idea from that it required an Awareness check? This isn't stated anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fenrick
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Where did you get the idea from that it required an Awareness check? This isn't stated anywhere.

I played at a friend's house. I guess it was just a house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
sigmazero13 wrote:
tacoSEVEN wrote:

No skill check; you just burn the action to do it. You then flip the search token; if it's the special token, you take it, otherwise you just draw a Search card.

Actually this can mislead some players. The special token is only used in some quests. You'll only be flipping if its in the quest. If not, no need to flip, just grab a search card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
tacoSEVEN wrote:
Haha, I made them use an awareness skill check. Was more fun to not know if you'd get it. Damn though, all that gear they will get now will ruin me. Thanks for the note!

Considering how the decision to search can already be the difference between winning a quest and losing it, I think that having to pass an Awareness check on top of that would make it even worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fenrick
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
tacoSEVEN wrote:

Considering how the decision to search can already be the difference between winning a quest and losing it, I think that having to pass an Awareness check on top of that would make it even worse.
It didn't really affect anything too much for us, but we were close to the front of the book. I kinda like the idea of some sort of check or something, but you are probably right, a skill check is not the way to go. I just like things like that not being COMPLETELY automatic you know? I'd have to think of a way to not make it hard but not just guaranteed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So get the Poison Dart, Explosive Runes, Uthuk Demon Trap and Curse of the Monkey God. Suddenly neither opening door nor searching is COMPLETELY automatic and when you're holding 5 cards on hand and grinning they will think twice before doing any searching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
tacoSEVEN wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
tacoSEVEN wrote:

It didn't really affect anything too much for us, but we were close to the front of the book. I kinda like the idea of some sort of check or something, but you are probably right, a skill check is not the way to go. I just like things like that not being COMPLETELY automatic you know? I'd have to think of a way to not make it hard but not just guaranteed.

It's not completely automatic. The heroes have to spend an action to do it, which means they're not doing something else (like working towards their objective). That is already penalty enough as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
bleached_lizard wrote:
tacoSEVEN wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
tacoSEVEN wrote:

It's not completely automatic. The heroes have to spend an action to do it, which means they're not doing something else (like working towards their objective). That is already penalty enough as it is.

Good point. But if you're in the same room or vicinity of a Search Token, I think it usually pays to send a hero over to take it. On the one hand, you need to follow quest objectives, especially on ones where the reward is a Relic (getting a majority of these has the potential to really throw the game towards that side's favor, I feel). On the other, it pays to search, and search often. Otherwise, you're in for a big surprise come Act II when the difficulty ramps up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.