Hide
10 Posts

Crowdfunding: Kickstarter» Forums » General

Subject: Knights of Arxlandia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tirdent Tachnologies
msg tools
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/93061707/knights-of-axla...

I have some regrets in the way that I marketed this. I only now found about the help that I can get from Board Game Geek. I only have 10 days left and a long way to go. I hope this makes a difference.

I have been a huge fan of strategy based video games all my life. I am also a family man who likes to sit around a table with family and play board games. This has been a dream of mine for a long time. I have been working on this strategy based board game for a while now. I think it is not only innovative but also capable of turning into one of the trend setters in the market. I need your help to make my dream come true. I need the funds to make this a reality.

About the Game

Between the time of the great collapse of the Old Kingdom and the rise of the Federation, Arxlandia was ruled by The Knights. The Knights were the warlords whom held power over the four lands of Arxlandia. Constantly at war over territory, The Knights soon grew weary of rebuilding their Knightdoms and decided to take their battles to the battle grounds of Arxlandia. An ancient battle ground where the epic warriors of past times still do battle and sometimes can be recruited.

Board

The board itself is based on the classic hexagon design but it the purpose and the game play is very unique. It forces players to think strategically before each move as there are several possible moves for each roll.

The board consists of hexagons which will allow the players to move around. There will be obstacles that the players cannot cross. Obstacles such a rivers and mountains; players can only move from hexagon to hexagon. In places where there are bridges or mountain passes, the player may go from one the hexagon where the bridge/mountain pass begins to the where it ends. The movement will be determined by the roll of the dice. The players may move in any direction but may not cross the same hexagon in the same turn.

There are several hexagons that will be marked including the starting position of each player. Other marked positions include places to assume command of fighting units (draw cards).

Cards

There are 100 cards total split into 4 groups. Each group consists of different class of units.

Yellow cards are Ranged Units: Longbow man, Arbalist, Javelinmen, Slinger

Green cards are Infantry units: Swordsmen, Pikemen, Peasant, Macemen

Red cards are Cavalry units: Knight, Light Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry, Scouts

Blue cards are Artillery units: Trebuchet, Catapult, Scorpion, Heavy Crossbow

Each unit has special bonus against other type of units. For example, ranged weapons have +100 bonuses against Infantry. These bonuses are listed on the cars themselves.

Specialized Units: Huns, Spartans, War Elephants, Helepolis

What will be done with the funds?

The game design and rules are complete. I need the money to fund initial production and to complete the potential sales. All the money will be used for that purpose and that purpose alone. The hope is that these units will kick start marketing and sales so I can go to a bigger manufacturer with a bigger order. The price for 5,000 units comes to about $18 a piece but I would rather not do that before completing my initial delivery as well as marketing. All marketing and website efforts will be done out of my own pocket. I simply cannot afford much more than that at this point. Any help would be appreciated and I hope to turn this game into a trend setter and a life changer.

Amount:

250 minimum at $33 a game with all the game pieces and box: $8250

Although the price tag may seem high, this is the best I can find. The manufacturer is in the US and I think there is value. The printed box will come with 18 x 18 board, 100 cards metal game pieces, dice, and instructions.

Kickstarter and Amazon fess: up to 10% = $825

Total Needed: $9075

So far none of the work has been done with a paid professional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, on the plus side you have learned a lot and will do it better if you are forced to relaunch. That's the beauty of Kickstarter: you get a "do over" if you need it.

2 cents of advice:

1. Invest in professional concept art for the campaign. Enough to whet appetites and give the project a polished look.

2. Really sell the video. That makes or breaks a Kickstarter project.

3. Generate some buzz on BGG in advance: download images, get some review copies out ahead of time to reputable reviewers, maybe even do a BGG contest and give away a couple copies of the game.

Good luck! For what it's worth I think your game concept is sound it's just that Kickstarter has evolved in the past few years and backers expect more from a new publisher in the post-Ogre era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tirdent Tachnologies
msg tools
Thanks. i will keep that in mind. I am certainly thinking about relaunching it. You are right, people will be better prepared the second time but I am still hopeful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game seems interesting, you say that you the design is done.

I have a couple questions.

Is the rule book finished?

How much play testing have you done? How many different people have played it?

I suggest that you make an entry for your game on BGG and post some detailed information about the game, maybe upload the rules. Have some of your play testers write up a review of the game or a session report.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
To succeed on Kickstarter you will need to make some improvements. From what I see the game seems like it could be a good one, but there is no way to be sure.

My biggest suggestion to you is that a video is NOT optional. You really need to have a video that explains the project and shows gameplay. Without a video your chances of success go to 0% unless you are a big name.

tridenttechnologies wrote:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/93061707/knights-of-axla...

I have some regrets in the way that I marketed this. I only now found about the help that I can get from Board Game Geek. I only have 10 days left and a long way to go. I hope this makes a difference.

I have been a huge fan of strategy based video games all my life. I am also a family man who likes to sit around a table with family and play board games. This has been a dream of mine for a long time. I have been working on this strategy based board game for a while now. I think it is not only innovative but also capable of turning into one of the trend setters in the market. I need your help to make my dream come true. I need the funds to make this a reality.

About the Game

Between the time of the great collapse of the Old Kingdom and the rise of the Federation, Arxlandia was ruled by The Knights. The Knights were the warlords whom held power over the four lands of Arxlandia. Constantly at war over territory, The Knights soon grew weary of rebuilding their Knightdoms and decided to take their battles to the battle grounds of Arxlandia. An ancient battle ground where the epic warriors of past times still do battle and sometimes can be recruited.

Board

The board itself is based on the classic hexagon design but it the purpose and the game play is very unique. It forces players to think strategically before each move as there are several possible moves for each roll.

The board consists of hexagons which will allow the players to move around. There will be obstacles that the players cannot cross. Obstacles such a rivers and mountains; players can only move from hexagon to hexagon. In places where there are bridges or mountain passes, the player may go from one the hexagon where the bridge/mountain pass begins to the where it ends. The movement will be determined by the roll of the dice. The players may move in any direction but may not cross the same hexagon in the same turn.

There are several hexagons that will be marked including the starting position of each player. Other marked positions include places to assume command of fighting units (draw cards).

Cards

There are 100 cards total split into 4 groups. Each group consists of different class of units.

Yellow cards are Ranged Units: Longbow man, Arbalist, Javelinmen, Slinger

Green cards are Infantry units: Swordsmen, Pikemen, Peasant, Macemen

Red cards are Cavalry units: Knight, Light Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry, Scouts

Blue cards are Artillery units: Trebuchet, Catapult, Scorpion, Heavy Crossbow

Each unit has special bonus against other type of units. For example, ranged weapons have +100 bonuses against Infantry. These bonuses are listed on the cars themselves.

Specialized Units: Huns, Spartans, War Elephants, Helepolis

What will be done with the funds?

The game design and rules are complete. I need the money to fund initial production and to complete the potential sales. All the money will be used for that purpose and that purpose alone. The hope is that these units will kick start marketing and sales so I can go to a bigger manufacturer with a bigger order. The price for 5,000 units comes to about $18 a piece but I would rather not do that before completing my initial delivery as well as marketing. All marketing and website efforts will be done out of my own pocket. I simply cannot afford much more than that at this point. Any help would be appreciated and I hope to turn this game into a trend setter and a life changer.

Amount:

250 minimum at $33 a game with all the game pieces and box: $8250

Although the price tag may seem high, this is the best I can find. The manufacturer is in the US and I think there is value. The printed box will come with 18 x 18 board, 100 cards metal game pieces, dice, and instructions.

Kickstarter and Amazon fess: up to 10% = $825

Total Needed: $9075

So far none of the work has been done with a paid professional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I see as couple issues right off the bat, one you have not supported any projects, which for some backers could be an issue as it’s a community site many people believe if you are using the site for your project then they like to see you support other projects as well.

Are you familiar with the kicking it forward? kickingitforward.org

Also you’re not connected to a facebook page or any social media page or even a website for that matter, so how are you driving traffic to your kickstarter page?

I know many BGG users are not on facebook and have no desire to use social media, however many gamers do use it and social media has been used to great success with a number of campaigns. Look at Storm the Castle and Boss Monster, they were all over the internet their entire campaign and exceeded their funding goal.

I don’t think a video is a deal breaker in that video views alone do not = backers, however a video can help

Are you on linkedIn? Are part of any of the game groups or kickstarter/crowdfunding groups?

Honestly with 10 days left and only 3 backers I would cancel the project and relaunch. For a 30 day campaign, funding generally comes in this way, your first day you should be looking at about 20-25% funded, because you have built up a following for your game prior to launch. Your first week is critical to get you to the ½ way point and then at this stage backers should be spreading the word about your project, next two weeks you should see a steady amount of pledges and then the last few days you meet or exceed your goal.

You have a reasonable goal, but you do need to generate interest in the campaign prior to launch as a good 25-35% of your support is going to come from people you know who are already in your network.

At any rate I would suggest the following after canceling the current campaign.

1. Put a game entry into the database here at BGG
2. Start a thread in the designers forum, introduce yourself and your game project, perhaps share the rules and concept art
3. Set up a website, even if it is using wordpress, you need a basic webpage for your game or if you plan on being a publisher then a site for your company
4. Set up social media accounts
5. Set up a linkedin account and join Board Games & Game Design, Games Industry Professionals, Game Writing, TableTop Game Developers Connection,, Crowdsourcing & Crowdfunding and Funding the Dream with Kickstarter. Same here make introductions, tell people about your project and ask lots of questions
6. Connect with Richard Bliss on Funding the Dream and Paco Jaen of GMS Podcast, Richard does a podcast for all kickstarter categories and has been involved in crowdfunding for a number of years. Paco does a games related podcast. There are a number of other people doing games review podcasts and crowdfunding podcasts, these are just two I am familiar with because they are linkedIn group connections
7. Get prototypes out there for people to review

I would talk to other manufacturers as well, if you’re sticking with US manufacturers have you talked to Ron Cohen at Paragon Packaging?

Have you thought about submitting your design to game salute and working with them to manage your campaign and handle fulfillment, distribution?

If you need any referrals for connections on LinkedIn, links to groups, suggestions on social media planning, etc just let me know. I’m on LinkedIn daily and follow crowdfunding and social media.

mikeamcgannon@gmail.com
www.linkedin.com/in/michaelamcgannon
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/TableTop-Game-Developers-Conn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tirdent Tachnologies
msg tools
Yes and we have tested the game multiple times. I would say about a dozen people have played it so far. We also have a entire family testing it for us; we however have not heard back from them yet. I will keep your suggestions in mind for the future.

thanks.

Zalendar wrote:
The game seems interesting, you say that you the design is done.

I have a couple questions.

Is the rule book finished?

How much play testing have you done? How many different people have played it?

I suggest that you make an entry for your game on BGG and post some detailed information about the game, maybe upload the rules. Have some of your play testers write up a review of the game or a session report.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tirdent Tachnologies
msg tools
Mike,

We have a website, we have a facebook account, we have simple prototype that we have been using to test the game. I think I just have not done all those effectively. To this day, no one has criticized the game it self so it must be my marketing and outreach. I hope to do better next time by going through everyone's advises as well as the experience I am getting right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kangyu Chia
Singapore
Varsity Park Condominium
flag msg tools
badge
Ouch.
mbmbmbmbmb
tridenttechnologies wrote:
Mike,

We have a website, we have a facebook account, we have simple prototype that we have been using to test the game. I think I just have not done all those effectively. To this day, no one has criticized the game it self so it must be my marketing and outreach. I hope to do better next time by going through everyone's advises as well as the experience I am getting right now.

I would suggest that just a dozen play testers are not enough. Most, if not all published games go through hundreds of playtests, by a wide demographic of players.

What is the background of the playtesters that you have right now? Not to sound cynical, but I find it hard to believe that the game has not had any criticisms yet during early playtesters.

I'm no expert, not have I been involved in any game development, but as far as I know, several rounds of playtests are required at least to catch all the rule discrepancies, tweak game balance, etc.

Personally, I'd like to know the designer's background into gaming as well when I back a project. It's easy to say your game is the best (and we've seen many of those), but the first litmus test is whether or not the game is good in the huge world of board games that we have here, or is the game only compared to the likes of Monopoly.

Either way, I would definitely running more playtests and adding polish an relaunching. All the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I click on your bio though on the kickstarter page you haven’t linked it to your facebook page or listed your website.

Some people will just search for new projects on kickstarter so the only information that have about your project or you and your company is going to be what you put on the kickstarter page. That’s why it’s important to link your facebook account and list your website or any other social media links for that matter.

I agree on the play testing that a dozen people or sessions is merely a start, also you’ll want blind play tests as well. Friends and Family will always tell you want you want to hear, regardless if you ask them for any feedback even if it is negative. Any designer on the forum here will tell you it is important to have your game tested by people outside of your personal network even your local game group. There are a number of ways to do this. Taking it to your local game store if they have a gaming area and ask if you can do demos, get with local game groups, high school or college game clubs, provide a demo and then see who wants to run play test sessions. If you have the files available along with the rules so people could do a print and play version and test the game. There are also several Protospiel events across the country where designers meet up to demo and play games under development. If you have some copies to mail out, then you could also post in the designer forum asking for play testers.

I think you’ll find that it’s not uncommon for designers to go through a long period of play testing, how many sessions really depends on the type and avg. length of the game. Any feedback is important even negative, because that’s how you make improvements to the game, whether its updates to rules, minor tweaks to the design or components, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.