Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Dupree
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings Board gaming gurus!

I was wondering if there is a nice wargame out there that a friend and I could play that is scenario-based, but that the results of the scenario will effect the next scenario. Be it using the surviving troops, or perhaps following a scenario tree, like from the old PC game Panzer General or the 5 star series. Difficulty is not a problem, though i would prefer medium, and it has to be supported by vassal, as that would be the only way we would play it. All ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

Ryan Dupree

Oh, and it can't have the words 'Advanced Squad Leader' in the title, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So having a campaign would work, or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dupree
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps i wasn't clear enough, having a campaign was exactly what i was looking for, preferably with some sort of thread connecting the scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir 44+one of the Campaign books would be an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dupree
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is an option, anything else out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of wargames that include scenarios and a campaign. A couple of games I picked up recently that include them would be Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 and Strike of the Eagle.

Red Winter covers the Soviet attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland, December 8-12, 1939. The Finnish army is the weaker army while the Russians are "the big bad." The Finnish army however has the "home court advantage." The Russians at night need to decide if they want to build a fire or not. If they build a fire, they do nothing else, condense their forces as much as possible, and open themselves up to night raids since they can be seen at night due to the fire. If they don't build a fire, they can do other actions, but they roll on a chart to see what loses they suffer. If the Finnish can hold off the Russians long enough, they get a boost towards the end. Bonus points for the historical notes on the game. I think there's like 20+ pages of them. Also one of GMT's top selling titles of the year.

Strike of the Eagle:
Quote:
The year is 1920. World War I has ended, but the battle for Europe has just begun. The Soviet leaders, Lenin and Trotsky, plan to spread the workers’ revolution by blasting through Poland in order to support the growing communist movements in Germany, France and Britain. Only the armies of Poland stand in the way of the Bolshevik tide. Therefore, these armies to invade the Soviet Republics.

It is a block wargame that is driven by an order placement system. Each player is given a bluff type order so this way each player can add to the fog of war aspect of the game. There are cards but each card can be used in four ways: events, add to the number of orders one can give, add to attack value, and reinforcements. Ten page manual offers an easy way to get the game and get playing asap. IIRC, this will have a longer campaign play if for no other reason Red Winter is built for quicker player.

I'm not 100% certain on Nuklear Winter '68 because I know there is an overall story arc to the game, but I'm not sure how much carries over from one game to the next. The story is it is an alternate history game where Germany got nuked in WWII. Years later the Nazis and NATO go back into Germany to find a new mutant army arise from the nuclear waste. Plays 2-3 and recently had it's expansion funded so both will provide a total of 25 scenarios tying into the story line. Again, I'm not sure what if any gets carried over but the fact that there is a story arc might kind of counter that as a down side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.