Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff K
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I been lurking here for quite a while, so I guess it's time that I finally get around to posting something. These are some repaints that I've been working on since the game was releases. I starting dong the X-Wings, and then the Y-Wing, but my heart is with the Imps. I finally decided to give them the blue treatment and I really like it. Can't wait to unleash my Obsidian Squad of blue TIEs at the Kessel Run.

Red 5 and Red 2 repaints. I originally painted the wing marks, but I didn't like they way the looked. So, I created custom decals for the wing markings and I couldn't be happier.

Just showing the engine glow effect I added. I think it gives the X-Wings a sense of power.

The first of my Obsidian Squad. I wanted to do something different, yet I wanted to try to stay as canon as possible. FFG may eventually do blue TIEs, but for now mine are unique (probably not for much longer)

The beginning of the swarm!

Anyway, I hope you guys like what you see. I've drawn inspiration for the many other repaints I've seen and I hope I inspire someone else to pick up the brush as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thompson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love them all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are some of the best repaints I've seen in any game.

The engine glow effect on the X-Wings makes such a powerful difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah the engine glow is great. what colours did you use for the blue ties? they look to me more right than the actual grey ties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like what you've done with these. The blue ties definitely look better than the FFG paints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work, in every case you improved upon the original.

For me personally I don't think I will ever attempt this. I'm new to painting anyways. my problem is I have like 20 games that aren't painted at all, and I buy new ones all the time. If I ever run out of things to paint then I'll think about it...

Now on to Descent 2nd Edition and every 1st edition miniature, all still unpainted...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone, for the great comments!

ironman99 wrote:
yeah the engine glow is great. what colours did you use for the blue ties? they look to me more right than the actual grey ties.

The TIEs aren't hard to shade, but it depends on how much of a perfectionist you are. I used Vallejo Blue Shade wash with a little water and Flow Aid. The main body will come out great, however the wing veins are kind of hit or miss. On some I had to go back over them with a stonger solution to get them to shade well. I finish up by highlighting the wing edges and veins with a mix of Vallejo Wolf Grey and Ultramarine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having never done something like this, I'm curious: how do you prepare? Do you try to remove the current paint, or did you just spray them with primer and start from scratch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great mods! I've thought of adding "engine glow" to my X's, too. If I did that, the Y's would have to get the same treatment, somehow.

The blue TIEs are great, too. Very distinctive, yet they still look canonical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Having never done something like this, I'm curious: how do you prepare? Do you try to remove the current paint, or did you just spray them with primer and start from scratch?

Neither. I just start adding details over the existing paint.

BradyLS wrote:
Great mods! I've thought of adding "engine glow" to my X's, too. If I did that, the Y's would have to get the same treatment, somehow.

I did my Y-Wing also. I just didn't post the pics. Here you go - some minor touch-ups and engine glow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
that y wing glow looks good. I did my x wings engines after seeing yours and then also did the y wings but i never thought of putting glow on the inside of the framework. looks fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you take the nacelles off before painting, or are you JUST THAT GOOD?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremyffg wrote:
Did you take the nacelles off before painting, or are you JUST THAT GOOD?

I guess I'm just that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a couple more pics. First, the squad I used for the Kessel Run tournament. I qualified second, and then tied for first in the final round.

Howlrunner (20)
-Upgrades: Swarm Tactics (2)
Darth Vader (31)
-Upgrades: Swarm Tactics (2)
Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)
Academy Pilot (12)
Academy Pilot (12)
Academy Pilot (12)

And a quick shot of all of my TIEs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slave 1 that I won at the Kessel Run event. After a couple of weeks it "changed colors" somehow.whistle

Jango is on the loose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Roland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Jeff,

How did you do the great engine glow on the Y's and the Firespray?

I'm ordering the red colors you used on the X-Wing (Transparent Red and Flourescent Magenta Wash)and want to get anything else I need for the others.

Do you only use Vallejo paints or are you using another brand?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.