Subject: History of Mecatol Rex? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Craig
Canada
Saint John
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Hey guys I am planning on making a RPG focusing on Mecatol rex for some friends of mine, however I know very little about it.

Things I know:

-The city layout from Mecatol rex: final days
-The city may or may not be entirely cityscape
-Planet suffers from radiation

Things I would like to know:

-Where is this radiation and why was it caused?
-If the planet is indeed an entire city
-And anything else to further my knowledge on the subject!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Grey
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
read the rules pdf for REX final days of an empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
TheAngrySnowman wrote:
Hey guys I am planning on making a RPG focusing on Mecatol rex for some friends of mine, however I know very little about it.

Things I know:

-The city layout from Mecatol rex: final days
-The city may or may not be entirely cityscape
-Planet suffers from radiation

Things I would like to know:

-Where is this radiation and why was it caused?

Mecatol Rex used to be a nice planet. Similar to Coruscant from Star Wars, it was nearly one big city, although I think unlike Coruscant there may have been green fields in parts.

The radiation was likely caused when the planet was bombarded during the fall of the Lazax; Sol put the planet under siege and relentlessly barraged it. Only a small portion of the planet survived, which is where the Custodians remained. But the devastation of the rest of the planet was so severe that even thousands of years later, the majority of the planet is a wasteland now. It does, however, still represent a symbolic seat of power, which is why it is still so highly sought after.

Quote:
-If the planet is indeed an entire city

Entirely city, or nearly so, yes.

Quote:
-And anything else to further my knowledge on the subject!

The best things I would recommend would be to read the little flavor texts at the beginning of the Twilight Imperium and Shattered Empire rulebooks, as well as the lengthy story at the end of the Rex instruction manual. These should all be available on FFGs site.

The Shards of the Throne rulebook's flavor text doesn't really talk about Mecatol. However, the back of the Lazax race sheet from that expansion probably talks about the planet/city a little bit. I don't have it right handy, but I can try and go through it in the next few days and see if it has any more insight. Unfortunately, the Lazax sheet's back is not something released on FFGs website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
To kill several birds with one image:

[Parts of image burgled from BeerMe]

Mecatol Rex is the planet upon which Mecatol City [circled in red] resides. It's enormous, the size of a small continent, but it does not take up the entire planet [which is a fluff tidbit I'm quite happy about, there are legions of reasons why a planet-wide city is nigh impossible and incredibly impractical, even for a galaxy-spanning empire].

Rex: Final Days of an Empire takes place in, as the name suggests, the fall of the Lazax Empire. During these events the planet was plasma bombed by the Sol fleet, burning everything except for the heavily shielded Mecatol City into a charred ruin. Modern Mecatol Rex is comprised of that proud ancient city, still shielded, and the rest of the planet is irradiated wasteland.

I believe you'll find this to be incredibly useful: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/72988/twilight-imperium-th...

This is a compiled document of the background info for all 18 races, as well as the short stories from the beginnings of all 3 rulebooks [although not Rex's rulebook].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Craig
Canada
Saint John
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG actually had a Twilight Imperium RPG at one point. If you look around you might be able to find copies of it. There was a core book 'Twilight Imperium the Role-playing Game' and at the very least one source book, titled 'Mecatol Rex - The Star in the Crown' or something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
FFG actually had a Twilight Imperium RPG at one point. If you look around you might be able to find copies of it. There was a core book 'Twilight Imperium the Role-playing Game' and at the very least one source book, titled 'Mecatol Rex - The Star in the Crown' or something similar.

Be careful with this, though; apparently Mr. Peterson didn't consider the RPG to be "canon", from what I've heard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Mattr0polis wrote:

Be careful with this, though; apparently Mr. Peterson didn't consider the RPG to be "canon", from what I've heard.

True. A few years ago, after TI3 came out, friend at FFG said that Petersen pretty much refuses to admit that the RPG ever existed.
The Mecatol Rex sourcebook was the only additional material produced for the RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryP wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
Mattr0polis wrote:

True. A few years ago, after TI3 came out, friend at FFG said that Petersen pretty much refuses to admit that the RPG ever existed.
The Mecatol Rex sourcebook was the only additional material produced for the RPG.

I wouldn't be surprised if the RPG was originally licensed, but the makers didn't bother consulting Petersen on the details but just making up their own stuff as they went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.