Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony W
United States
Long Beach, CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have the original version of The Resistance. The Merlin aspect interests me. How can I "convert" my set to have the Merlin character?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iGotGame wrote:
I have the original version of The Resistance. The Merlin aspect interests me. How can I "convert" my set to have the Merlin character?

I used to have the playtest rules somewhere from when Don was first toying around with the ideas. Basically you just say, "The guy who looks like .... is the "Commander" (Merlin). That sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
...and also one spy should be designated as the Assassin.
You may also use card protectors and stuff whatever proxy cards you want in those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
mbmbmbmbmb
Morpeus or Captain America are Merlin, Vampire count is the assassin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
iGotGame wrote:

I used to have the playtest rules somewhere from when Don was first toying around with the ideas. Basically you just say, "The guy who looks like .... is the "Commander" (Merlin). That sort of thing.

Must protect Morpheus!

The guy that looks like Dracula is the Assassin.

It gets trickier if you want to add all of the Resistance: Avalon characters.

*edit* Ninja'd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iGotGame wrote:

Well, you can always sleeve the identity cards (good idea anyway) and insert a small label for Avalon roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, if you are a fan of the game, you could buy Avalon and support the designer, publisher, etc. It's not even that expensive of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the cyber-ness of original Resistance over the Arthurian period. I too would like to play original Resistance with roles. Perhaps a possible expansion to Resistance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seanp wrote:
Or, if you are a fan of the game, you could buy Avalon and support the designer, publisher, etc. It's not even that expensive of a game.

I generally agree with your sentiment, but the two games are soooo close, it's really hard to justify owning both and deciding which to bring out on a given night. I've been a big mouth piece for this game since you first introduced me to it back in 2010. I love Indie Board & Cards, I respect them, I want them to succeed, and I love The Resistance... but it's still super hard to justify buying two games that are nearly identical. I sold my last copy of 1st Edition Resistance in anticipation of getting Avalon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneart69 wrote:
Morpeus or Captain America are Merlin, Vampire count is the assassin.

We've been using the Mad Doctor on the bottom left:

For the record, top right was immediately referred to as "Busty Red-head".

Oh, and we don't bother with an assassin, just allow the spies to pick a resistance member to target. Does having a specific spy as an assassin make a difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonjeshk wrote:
Does having a specific spy as an assassin make a difference?

Yes. If you are not assassin, you can say "well, guys, you should pick whoever you want, but I think Merlin really is..." and name less likely candidate.
If your Assassin makes right choice, your team wins (and you win too). If he's wrong, you can always say "but I told you!". Not-assassin: low risk, high reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Random_Phobosis wrote:
Gonjeshk wrote:
Does having a specific spy as an assassin make a difference?

Yes. If you are not assassin, you can say "well, guys, you should pick whoever you want, but I think Merlin really is..." and name less likely candidate.
If your Assassin makes right choice, your team wins (and you win too). If he's wrong, you can always say "but I told you!". Not-assassin: low risk, high reward.

Also, it means that, while the Spies can still try to build a consensus, if they can't reach an agreement, you don't get stuck for ages waiting for them to reach an agreement.

The risk in calling out a low-probability Merlin is that the assassin will take your suggestion and pin the blame on you for suggesting the wrong person...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonjeshk wrote:
We've been using the Mad Doctor on the bottom left:

Agreed, he is the Merlin of the Future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Todd
United States
Canton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I would love to see Indie Boards and Cards put out a Resistance mini expansion as a promo here on the geek with some of the roles to use for the base game. (Commander, Bodyguard, Assassin, etc.)

I do intend to buy Avalon eventually to support the company, but I am currently doctoring my Resistance game up with the added roles as well. I too have chosen the "mad doctor" as the commander, but my assassin is the spy chick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
See my response at Converting Resistance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fadeproofvision wrote:

I would love to see Indie Boards and Cards put out a Resistance mini expansion as a promo here on the geek with some of the roles to use for the base game. (Commander, Bodyguard, Assassin, etc.)

I do intend to buy Avalon eventually to support the company, but I am currently doctoring my Resistance game up with the added roles as well. I too have chosen the "mad doctor" as the commander, but my assassin is the spy chick.

Just getting turned onto The Resistance. I'll be gathering the Assassin/Merlin promo via Kickstarter as a stretch goal for backing Coup.

I'm not familiar with Avalon so I'm looking for the rules but can't find them. I now how the Assassin/Merlin cards work from reading around here at BGG. I curious about the other roles that are in Avalon but missing in The Resistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Please join us on the PBF forums. We play Avalon and our own home brew variants there. Even if you don't play, you can read the rules to whatever you're curious about. I don't think Avalon's rules are online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.