Robert Woodham
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys. I'm considering adding a couple of games to my collection this December.

I currently considering Liberte, Cyclades, Cyclades: Hades, Game of Thrones, Twilight Struggle, and 1960.

Out of the above games, I have played Liberte (the 2000 edition), Cyclades with Hades, Game of Thrones (1st edition), and 1960.

The issue is that I only have the funds to choose 3 of the above, and would like to choose games that will grant my collection some variety and flexibility.

Thus far my collection is pretty limited; I own Chaos in the Old World, Eclipse, Diplomacy, and Fury of Dracula, and Bang! I have also played many Euro-games, but do not own any.

The one item I'm certain about on my list is Game of Thrones to my collection. I have never been disappointed by the 5-player 1st edition, and I love how similar the game mechanics are to Diplomacy while still offering something quite fresh. So that's a definite buy on my part.

This leaves me with two purchases left.

For one of those purchases, I would like to add a 2-player game to my collection; since I've played 1960 to death, I'd like to try something new out, hence Twilight Struggle. Would you guys recommend Twilight Struggle to a 1960 aficionado?

The other game would consequently be either Liberte or Cyclades. I have played 3-player Liberte twice now, and enjoyed it immensely. I have only played 5-player Cyclades once with its expansion, and enjoyed it quite a bit as well. At the same time, I have no idea how good Cyclades is without its expansion.

My other option, in favour of Twilight Struggle and Liberte/Cyclades is Cyclades + its expansion, but I'm not sure if I am willing to shell out $60-70 for a single game. I think the main issue is that I already have a 5-player game in my collection: Fury of Dracula. Liberte can also double up as a 5-er, and Game of Thrones can be modified to 5-players if need be.

So, what do you guys think? Is Cyclades magical enough to stand on its own, or should I broaden the number of viable players in my collection with a 2 and 3+ player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

If you like 1960, then you should also enjoy Twilight Struggle.

I have Cyclades, but I have not played the expansion. IMHO the list of of games where the expansion provides a big and meaningful improvement are relatively few. I would recommend that if you can afford it, get Game of Thrones, Cyclades (no expansion), and Twilight Struggle.

You could also consider Runewars, which I think is being released in a revised edition in December, and also D&D Conquest of Nerath if you like your dudes on a map stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Woodham
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently in the process of selling Runewars, so I'll pass on that one.

So the main question is, Cyclades or Liberte? I hear Cyclades is bad w/ less than 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess Cyclades is not that great only with two players. Three and above is absolutely fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Woodham
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is 3-player Cyclades better than Liberte 3 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually, folks say 2 player Cyclades is better than 3 player (though not better than 4/5)

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/565067/how-is-it-with-2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.