Forest Pearson
Canada
Whitehorse
Yukon
flag msg tools
So does Elrond's ability to heal +1 AFTER a card effect mean that you heal 5 (with say herbs), and then do 1 more? Does that 1 healing from Elrond mean he gets discarded?

Thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fkpearson wrote:
So does Elrond's ability to heal +1 AFTER a card effect mean that you heal 5 (with say herbs), and then do 1 more?

Yes. I believe that during stage 3 Elrond would heal Wilyador for only a single wound, regardless of the number of Athelas used. My reasoning for this is that there is only a single card effect (the When Revealed text on the quest card) that does the healing. The Athelas cards themselves don't say anything about healing.

fkpearson wrote:
So does Elrond's ability to heal +1 AFTER a card effect mean that you heal 5 (with say herbs), and then do 1 more? Does that 1 healing from Elrond mean he gets discarded?

If Elrond helps heal during the second stage of the quest, then yes, he would be removed from the game after his effect triggers. Remember, though, that Responses are optional, so you could choose not to trigger him if you're using something like Lore of Imladris.

It's been a while since I've played this quest. Seems like Elrond would be a good fit for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
The wording makes me think you would have to discard Elrond for triggering his response ability during second phase of the quest.

However, I'm not so sure about the 3rd phase of the quest.

Wilyador can't be healed more than 5 wounds by a single effect, so FFG told people to heal 5 wounds from Wilydor per Athelas as if they each were seperate actions.

So I would think with Elrond each Athelas effectively heals 6 wounds each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
ellareth wrote:
The wording makes me think you would have to discard Elrond for triggering his response ability during second phase of the quest.

However, I'm not so sure about the 3rd phase of the quest.

Wilyador can't be healed more than 5 wounds by a single effect, so FFG told people to heal 5 wounds from Wilydor per Athelas as if they each were seperate actions.

So I would think with Elrond each Athelas effectively heals 6 wounds each.

I agree they have to be separate actions per FFG or else all the Athelas combined would only heal a total of 5 wounds total. But then doesn't that mean that Elrond would make the first Athelas heal 6 but then be removed from play before adding to the other ones?

Not even sure myself because of the initial bad wording of that quest card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After giving this further thought, I'm starting to think Elrond may not heal Wilyador at all during the final stage. The last quest card says (emphasis added):

Quote:
If Wilyador is completely healed when this effect resolves, Wilyador survives and the players have won the game. Otherwise, the players have lost the game.

The phrasing of this indicates to me that the game would be over before Elrond's ability can be triggered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
Mattr0polis wrote:
But then doesn't that mean that Elrond would make the first Athelas heal 6 but then be removed from play before adding to the other ones?

It has been a while since I played Rhosgobel... because I simply hate that scenario, but I think cards are only removed from play for healing Wilydor during second quest card.

So if Elrond can boost Athelas, he would be safe since it happens during 3rd quest card.

AdmiralACF wrote:
After giving this further thought, I'm starting to think Elrond may not heal Wilyador at all during the final stage. The last quest card says (emphasis added):

Quote:
If Wilyador is completely healed when this effect resolves, Wilyador survives and the players have won the game. Otherwise, the players have lost the game.

The phrasing of this indicates to me that the game would be over before Elrond's ability can be triggered.

If we look at quest card, Elrond won't have time to trigger his effect at all.

But in FAQ FFG said treat each Athelas as seperate Actions, and there should be window for response after resolving one Action and before resolving next Action even if they are triggered simultaneously.

However, I do agree initial wording on quest card was bad, and answer given in FAQ isn't crystal clear neither, so answer could be either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.