Subject: Who else thinks this game is super Munchkinie? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game tonight. It was a lot of fun, but a lot of the game reminded me of Munchkin. This might be pretty unavoidable anytime that you have a 3+ player game, where victory is achieved by gaining an ultimate level.

Like other posters have mentioned, once there was a clear leader, the other players would just gang up on that person. The shrewd player would just sit back and watch others exhaust their scheme and reaction cards and then ponce with a bunch of +1 influence actions.

All-in-all though, it was fun and I want to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also thought my first play tonight was fun, but WAY too long for what it is - and we started at 4 influence. I'd play again, but probably only starting at 7 influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Freeman
Canada
Vancouver
B.C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play starting at 4influence so you still have to collaborate to play some of the higher scheme cards, but we only play to 10 influence. For me it was the perfect length, didn't overstay it's welcome which I could see happening going all the way to 12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have to try that - 4-10.

The end game seemed to drag on a bit as there were a couple of players at 10/11.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Freeman
Canada
Vancouver
B.C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it works well, as none of our games seem to go over two hours.

We've also had some pretty good endgames. In our last one I had reached 10 influence and assumed I had the game locked up but one of my opponents was able to gain 2 influence to go to 11 before the end of the scheme phase giving him the win.

I think having the 2 extra influence above the winning amount also reduces the number of times you have to go to tiebreakers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a bit like muchkin but there is a lot more choices, more interesting and it seems more fun. not a fan of munchkin but love this game

I think the key difference you have more to do on your turn compared to munchkin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc VC
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played this once, and I didn't like it.
In some ways it feels like Munchkin (which at some point I liked).
4-10 influence seems like a good idea, but who ever wants me to play this will have to offer me some slaves (or huge amount of beer and chocolate).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Peroni
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's not like Munchkin.
In Munchkin you have to favour only yourself and penalize other players.
Here you have to choose carefully who to favour (besides you, of course) and who to penalize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it is NOT like Munchkin, because otherwise Spartacus would be a crap game and I am considering to buy it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mixo wrote:
I hope it is NOT like Munchkin, because otherwise Spartacus would be a crap game and I am considering to buy it...

I hope that your foul language is down to my influence laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a definite "kill the leader" aspect to the game, but it's mitigated by the House special abilities, which can frequently be controlled to allow you to get the final 2 point push over the top.

We've played a 7 and a 4 starting Influence games and both have been relatively close. There's a lot of "tall daisy" cutting down to size happening, but since there are relatively few ways to lose Influence once gained, it's a case of slow progress rather than backwards or bouncing around progress.

That said, we haven't done a 1-point starting influence game, and we've only played the two times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's anything wrong with a "kill the leader" type game, it just lends to a certain type of strategy.

Basically, you end up holding cards that will knock down someone going for an end game. You wait until one or two have made a run to win the game, so all your opponents have exhausted their road block cards. Then you make a run for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.