Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John blog
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1)In the mission card: forbidden date - What does "5 gold & Gold- cargo from a merchant raid" means? Does it mean 5 gold plus cargo from merchant raid?

2) when a player buys a new ship at St John which allows the ship mods to be transferred at $1, I suppose the selling price of the old ship is not adjusted for the ship mods but the player has to pay $1 to transfer...is this correct?

3) Does a battle occur when a (French) NPC ship is on the same sea zone of the (French bounty) ship players when the latter is at the port?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Don't recall that one and don't have the game with me, but from what you have written I would expect it means 5 gold in addition to the normal gold and cargo from the merchant raid.

2) Correct, you can choose to pay 1 gold each to transfer ship mods. You could choose to sell each of them them off with the ship instead, if you like. But since you take a loss, and mods are hard to gather, you would have to be pretty desperate for gold to do that if you managed to get to St John! You can even transfer some mods and sell others with the ship if money is a little tight.

3) No. Battles never occur in port. The French NPC ship will scout when a ship with a French bounty enters the same sea zone, in this case by exiting the port. If scouting is successful, then the French NPC ship will initiate a battle. (Note: the NPC ships will scout whenever the target player ship enters the same sea zone, or starts a turn on the same sea zone. It does not immediately scout when the NPC ship enters the sea zone.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John blog
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ted.

re 3) I have found this in the FAQ section

"Q: If a player’s ship is in port, is that ship considered to be in the “sea zone”?
A: Yes. For the purpose of NPC movement, the ports and any players there are considered to be in the Sea-Zone."

Thus. NPC will move to the sea zone even when the French bounty ship is at the port, and at the start of the French bounty ship's turn, upon successful scouting by the NPC, a battle ensued. (my comment)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
thisaliensean wrote:
Thanks Ted.

re 3) I have found this in the FAQ section

"Q: If a player’s ship is in port, is that ship considered to be in the “sea zone”?
A: Yes. For the purpose of NPC movement, the ports and any players there are considered to be in the Sea-Zone."

Thus. NPC will move to the sea zone even when the French bounty ship is at the port, and at the start of the French bounty ship's turn, upon successful scouting by the NPC, a battle ensued. (my comment)

It is just for the purpose of moving, not scouting, that a ship in port can be a hunting target. So the underlined part is true - the bold part is over-interpreting. First when the French ship moves out from port, the NPC will scout for it (so the French has time to repair, buy weapons, a new ship or possibly stash gold if in such a port).

Edit: You could say that ships don't "remember" how they got to a sea zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to underscore what Carsten is saying, there are no circumstances when a ship will fight another ship in a port. All battles occur in sea zones, it simply cannot happen in ports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.