Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
My wife and i have played this terra-rific game four times now, 3 of them with the suggested learning game of witches v nomads and last night giants v swarmlings with random set up.

I have 2 questions:

1) Today my wife is going to be mermaids and i am going to be chaos magicians,
just to clarify: chaos magicians (once strongbhold built) , can take an "extra" go once per round as their special ability and the rules note in particular that passing is one of the extra turns.
Is it in practice that "passing" is in fact the only realistic advantage to having an extra turn?, ie you can pass so as to change your bonus card mid-turn and use its ability.
This is pretty powerful if i have it correct, but this is the only real benefit to having 2 turns?, you wouldn't use all your normal turn, then take an "extra" turn, as you would normaly have little or no resources left?.

2) The special actions with the orange around (on the board and unlocked on most player boards once stronghold placed), you can use one special action once per turn, but unlimited to your ability to use them (from the board), per round?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can use the special action on a bonus tile you just picked up. It is not active until next turn.

The main use for their strongold ability is to take 2 actions in a row before other players can act. Such as transforming spaces your opponents wanted, or to use power actions before your opponents (since they are limited to one use per round)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Bösel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
biffta wrote:
Hi,
My wife and i have played this terra-rific game four times now, 3 of them with the suggested learning game of witches v nomads and last night giants v swarmlings with random set up.

I have 2 questions:

1) Today my wife is going to be mermaids and i am going to be chaos magicians,
just to clarify: chaos magicians (once strongbhold built) , can take an "extra" go once per round as their special ability and the rules note in particular that passing is one of the extra turns.
Is it in practice that "passing" is in fact the only realistic advantage to having an extra turn?, ie you can pass so as to change your bonus card mid-turn and use its ability.
This is pretty powerful if i have it correct, but this is the only real benefit to having 2 turns?, you wouldn't use all your normal turn, then take an "extra" turn, as you would normaly have little or nop resources left?.

2) The special actions with the orange around (on the board and unlocked on most player boards once stronghold placed), you can use one special action once per turn, but unlimited to your ability to use them (from the board), per round?

Thanks in advance

1) No you cant do that. If you "pass" your round is over you take a new bonus card and wait for your wife to pass to start the new round. What the rulebook is trying to say is, that "passing" is a action. So when you can take 2 actions as the chaos magicians and you want to pass you can only take 1 other action before that. So you can build and then pass but you can not advance shipping, then build and then pass. The main benefit is, that you can 2 power actions on the board without anyone else interfering.

2) You can use each bonus action only one time per round. That means that the power actions on the board can only be used by 1 player per round. You can however take a many different bonus action per round as you like. Just remember that each bonus action is a full turn. So if you take one its your wife turn and you have to wait until she is finished to play anotehr one.

btw the chaos magicians are pretty hard to paly in a 2 player game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you Allan and Christoph,
This clarifies it completely for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flouyd wrote:

btw the chaos magicians are pretty hard to paly in a 2 player game

Why? I actually think they are a strong 2-player race since there's no danger of getting locked in. You get 2 favor tiles each time you build a temple, so can get a 1-time power boost with the +4 Power favor and then use other favor tiles to advance on the cult track getting more power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.