Subject: The Great Big Expansion Wild Speculation Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So by now we know a bit more about the first expansion. Namely, it will have 350 cards (giving it the same amount of content as the base set, more or less) and will feature X-Force and Marvel Knights characters.

So who wants to engage in some wild speculation as to who will be in the set?

I'm assuming 15 heroes, 4 masterminds, 7 villain groups, 4 henchmen groups and a whole bunch of schemes.

Personally, I think Daredevil and Punisher are a lock-in on the Marvel Knights side of things. Luke Cage and Iron Fist are a pretty safe bet, too. The others could go the extended Heroes for Hire route with Misty Knight, Shang Chi, Black Cat. Or possibly pick from the wider range of Marvel's street-level characters: Echo, White Tiger Cloak and Dagger would be real cool. I'd be excited to see Spider Woman (Jessica Drew) thrown into the mix, too.

The X-Force side of things is slightly more complex, as there have been several incarnations of the team. I hope they mix some of the classic Cable-lead team and the more recent Wolverine-lead one.
I'd stake my life on Cable being in the set. Others I'm hoping for are Wolfsbane, Domino and Shatterstar from the Cable team, and Psylocke and Angel from the Wolverine team. I'd love if the game had Fantomex, but the odds on that are pretty slim, he's one of the weirdest and least-accessible characters Marvel have.

For Masterminds I see Kingpin and possibly Purple Man. Stryfe and possibly Bastion for the X-Force side (Apocalypse would be an obvious choice, but I've got a feeling they're saving him for an Apocalypse-themed expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i thinking Blade will make it in and ghost Rider too. we might even see Moon Knight. we all know Punisher and Dare Devil will be in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Or
United Kingdom
Stirling
Stirling
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the X-Force part I think you're right about Cable, especially since it seems he's one of the favourites of the publisher .

I'd like to see Nightcrawler; probably some cards would allow to rescue bystander, maybe even those already captured by villains, as it just seems thematic, quick teleport in and out. Other than him, I'd definitely like to see all of the original X-men; eg. Iceman freezing part of the city and stopping villains from escaping would be nice addition. I'm wondering if they treat X-Force as a team or basically all mutants, if it's the former than I guess we'll have to wait for the original 5 to reunite.

On Marvel Knights roster, Daredevil is a given, I'd like to see Iron Fist and maybe Moon Knight? I think Black Panther is also a safe bet.

I think they picked really good villains for base game, at some point I'd like to see Onslaught, but it's too early for him. Still need Professor X and maybe Magneto set for the heroes side for him to appear. Although Ultron showed up before Hank Pym, so who knows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Santoni
United States
Davie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I wonder if they will use the Spider-friends team logo for the Marvel Knights or make it another team logo for the game. Because much of the spider-friend options would be MK characters.

I do hope for Punisher and Daredevil. Ghost Rider is also a possibility with MK

With Marvel Knights I also expect Kingpin to be a new mastermind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Jamieson
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the hardest thing to guess is who is made a master mind and who is just a villain.

I was quite surprised to see Doctor Octopus has just a villain and not a master mind.
same with Venom.

Apocalypse ( always leads 4 horsemen ) , Thanos, Galactus I am saying these are locks as master minds.

Wouldn't it me interesting for a new mechanic for a scheme where no master mind starts the game and you have Jean Grey in the hero's deck who turns in Dark Phoenix, then every card that comes up after of Jean from the hero deck in the HQ gets moved to the city as a villain and instance of the Dark Phoenix to fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they will do Carnage as a MM so they put Venom in the villain pile.
Can't wait for the xpacs. Please small box in the spring, August is too far away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
resCube wrote:
I think the hardest thing to guess is who is made a master mind and who is just a villain.

I was quite surprised to see Doctor Octopus has just a villain and not a master mind.
same with Venom.

This is easy to handle.

Include Dr Ock or Venom as Master Minds:

* And rule that they are removed from the Villain deck.

* Or add a rule that if they show up as a villain, use that card as a Master Strike instead.

* Or rule that you cannot attack the villain as a Mastermind if his Villain card is in the city.

-Munch "easy peasy using existing Villains" Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why did we get skrulls and no fantastic 4? i hope they a the first mini expansion with silver surfer and Galactus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any hero not in the base game but IS in marvel ultimate alliance (xbox360) is a safe bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Elektra, Blade and Doctor Strange have always been a part of the Marvel Knights stable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
troyboy81 wrote:
why did we get skrulls and no fantastic 4? i hope they a the first mini expansion with silver surfer and Galactus

Well, the Avengers have had major run-ins with Skrulls, so that doesn't make me scratch my head so much. Dr. Doom, on the other hand...!

I think that we will have to wait for a mini-expansion; I'd imagine they'd mention the FF in the press release if it were in the first big box. It doesn't look like it'll be Clobbering Time for a while. I'd love to be surprised with its big box inclusion, though.

More speculation... Talking to a buddy of mine, he thought it sounded like the regularly scheduled mini-expansions might be tied into current continuity. I don't keep up on current Marvel books, but that does sound like a really neat idea, to include new heroes, villains, and schemes that are ripped from comics that are fresh on the stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
resCube wrote:

same with Venom.

This is easy to handle.

Include Dr Ock or Venom as Master Minds:

* And rule that they are removed from the Villain deck.

* Or add a rule that if they show up as a villain, use that card as a Master Strike instead.

* Or rule that you cannot attack the villain as a Mastermind if his Villain card is in the city.

-Munch "easy peasy using existing Villains" Wolf

There also could be a 'Generic Master Mind' card, which you draw a regular Villain card and 3 to the combat value.

Or start at the Villain's combat value, and each Master Strike card adds one to combat value of the Villain.

I don't know what the generic fight rewards would be ... maybe have one remove some previous Master Strike cards

-Munch "I could picture this done as a BGG promo pack as it would only be 5 cards" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
All I know is they need to have the Fantastic Four in the next set. Conspicuously missing from the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
for those who feel the game isn't HARD enough....GALACTUS!!! He eats your cards before you can play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Downs
United States
Palm Desert
California
flag msg tools
The lack of fantastic four isn't too surprising if you think of it from a mass-marketing viewpoint: movie tie-ins.

It has been a long time since a fantastic four movie (and never on a good movie, in my personal opinion).

I would personally bet on expansions matching movie-releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheung
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Thanos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocalypse and his Always Leads Villain Group, Horsemen (2 copies of each of the four, funny how it adds to 8, the normal number in a Villain group). Give each Horseman +1 Attack for every Tactic card still under Apocalypse (so they start at +4), if feeling really bold, extra +1 Attack for each Horseman in the City (or that has escaped).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Is or was Doop ever in X-Force? We need Doop.

Also, yes to Nightcrawler.

Fantastic Four needs cards more than X-Force or Marvel Knights. Whatever the heck Marvel Knights entails. Also, I want some Nextwave heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lorence Syfargo
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrNate wrote:
Is or was Doop ever in X-Force? We need Doop. 

Yes, during the Mike Allred era :)

Edit: i should also add Peter Milligan wrote it, and it was re-titled x-statix afterwards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
troyboy81 wrote:

+1! Galactus as a +12 strength villain, against a badass Reed Richards and Silver Surfer, and Thanatos as a second villain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.