Popular Tags: [View All]
Torsten Hasforth
Denmark
Copenhagen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Playing with LOC Vichy.

Would you say that either side draws a chit if they "win" i.e. sink an opponents ship in a port strike?

Thanks in advance.

T.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dursten wrote:
Playing with LOC Vichy.

Would you say that either side draws a chit if they "win" i.e. sink an opponents ship in a port strike?

Thanks in advance.

T.

Oh good question! We know chit is obtained for winning a battle, so it comes down to the definition of a battle. The closest I can see in the rules is the following quote:

There are three types of battle: air, land, and naval. A battle is
won by a power if they destroyed more units than they lost. The
victor is determined at the end of all rounds of naval or air combat.
Notionals, pilots, damaged naval units, frogmen, leaders, supply
units and CPs do not count.

So I think so, I would think a port strike that sinks a ship is a 'battle' since it is ultimately an air combat; that is, the rules aren't saying that a battle has to occur in certain phases.

I also think that logic would dictate that the political impact of sinking a French battleship in an air attck on the port would be as great as sinking it at sea with aircraft or naval gunnary - look at the impact of Taranto and Pearl Harbor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Harned
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice reference Bruce. Thanks.

I do have a follow-up question which I'd love to hear thoughts on. I've seen it written on another board that LOC chits are taken after each round of air combat. As I read the reference from Bruce I believe that the LOC chit(s) are not awarded until the end of all rounds of an individual air combat. So if a given air combat goes on for multiple rounds you do not detemine the win/lose/draw status of the combat until the end of that specific air comabt (i.e. all planes have either been cleared through, destroyed or disengaged).

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
dougofdeath wrote:
Nice reference Bruce. Thanks.

I do have a follow-up question which I'd love to hear thoughts on. I've seen it written on another board that LOC chits are taken after each round of air combat. As I read the reference from Bruce I believe that the LOC chit(s) are not awarded until the end of all rounds of an individual air combat. So if a given air combat goes on for multiple rounds you do not detemine the win/lose/draw status of the combat until the end of that specific air comabt (i.e. all planes have either been cleared through, destroyed or disengaged).

Thoughts?

You are right. Chits for an entire, completed a2a combat, not by round. The other board is wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.