Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you think of any games that you believe suffer from obscurity partly because a good name wasn't chosen for it? One that comes to mind for me is For The Win. I need more experience with the game, but so far it seems like a well done abstract for 2 with a lot of replay potential for those who enjoy 2 player abstracts. In fact, it looks like it could rival the great Hive. But I think the name chosen for the game could have been better. How about "Flip My Monkey"? (for those that don't know, flipping your monkey tile is one thing that frequently occurs in the game).

Of course there is the other end of the extreme where hte game play is a disappointment when compared to the title. I was disappointed a bit when I didn't get to explore any Lost Cities.

But, can you think of some games that could have used a better title?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Nin-Gonost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I really like For the Win. Too bad it doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

Spontaneously, I come to think of Blue Moon City; I think it's a nondescript name, not to say pale. I can't help but thinking that it would have received more attention with a better name.

Another example is Gonzaga. To use an obscure name doesn't have to be detrimental, but then it has to have a ring to it, like Carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silent Death

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I though of another one:

Ys

Us American folk can't even figure out how to pronounce it. Great game though. Recent print runs were also affected by the moldy pieces issue which can hurt sales just as much as a weird name. But I wish the game got more good attention. It deserves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This really should be a Geeklist. It would be a fun read.

My suggestion: CONFLICT. A wargame from 1940, re-released in 1960 and 1964. It is hard to imagine any game without conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...I started a geeklist. I guess it takes a bt for it to show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they show up pretty much immediately. You need to make sure you actually published it, and the "shows up on the front page" box is checked as well.

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BraveRats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sedition Wars: Battle for Alabaster. Ponderous title, or artists fight for sculpting material?
Copycat. Jay doesn't give a flying flip about Friedemann Friesse's naming conventions.
Stone Age: The Expansion. Literal translation is the goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.