Popular Tags: [View All]
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been puzzling over the pictures of the Tohaku maps for a couple of weeks, trying to piece together the parts of the map that I can't make out in the pictures so that I can at least give them a try. I'm past that point now - I am trying to fill in correct location names. I lived in Japan for a few years and some of the locations are places I visited, so I would like to do things right... even if I can't actually buy the maps in question.

Last night, I decided that what I really needed was another picture (or several ones) to see if that could help me. I discovered a while back that Chrome can be set to translate Japanese on the fly, so I decided to dive into the blog on the Okazu website, in hopes of finding something that might lead me to a picture from a different angle. Lo, and behold, I found a link to Hammerworks, the publisher of the Tohaku maps. On that website, I saw that the designer was working on a set of three maps for the island of Kyushu, to be released at an upcoming Gamemarket in Tokyo.

There was also an email address. Firing up Google translate (it's been thirty five years since I left Japan and my Japanese skills are way beyond rusty!), I decided to take a chance and send him an email.

In short, he is not interested in selling anywhere other than at the Gamemarket. I even floated the idea of paying for a pdf of the maps so that he did not have to worry about shipping, but that was also not of interest to him. I can understand this - maintaining control of something is electronic form is difficult.

On the plus side, those Kyushu maps were released at the Fall 2012 Gamemarket (held last month). I guess we can look forward to some new pictures showing up in the gallery to drool over.

[An open plea]
If there is anyone who is willing to pick up the Tohaku and Kysuhu maps at the Spring 2013 Gamemarket and ship to the United States, I know that I am not alone in my interest. If you read this and are willing, send me a GM. I am more than willing to return the favor and send games available here to Japan.[/An open plea]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brennan
United States
Groveland
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge

David--

If anyone answers your open plea, I'd be interested in the Tohaku and Kysuhu maps as well.

Thanks,

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Don't let people gauge you, these are just made by some random person who has no clue how to design. The maps are probably terrible.

At least that's what I tell myself, and it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And hey, you can always design your own map. It's not that hard. I just had the second playtest of my Tampere Region map, and it's brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
And hey, you can always design your own map. It's not that hard. I just had the second playtest of my Tampere Region map, and it's brilliant.

I always like to have tried a few other maps for a game before I start tinkering with the idea of designing my own.

I would, of course, be interested in trying your map out, Mikko.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
msaari wrote:

Looking forward to seeing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:

I was briefly in school in Tampere. I would love a copy if you are ever inclined to share.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, take a look: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9585896/tampereregion-v2.pdf

The first test run had some problems, but the second one yesterday worked much better, and we didn't come up with any obvious improvements.

It's very ugly, but a neater version is in the works. The oranges are level 2 cities, the bridge costs 2 to build and the small lakes (that don't fill the whole hex) work like rivers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Härmälä seems like a good starting spot...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannu Sinisalo
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Härmälä seems like a good starting spot...

Well, have you ever been to Tampere. Härmälä is not a good starting point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus Chu
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
Contact boardwalk Okayama for both expansion maps, I got mine from them and they really nice....and expensive. Both maps are oop now but I think the store can get them for you
It costs me usd 70 for both maps including shipping from Japan to Hong Kong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the Kyushu map, and it is beauteous. You can combine north and south Kyushu maps to form a big 4 player map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does that mean that they were released by Hammerworks on the Nagoya Game Market, or will they also be sold on the Tokyo Spring Game Market held in end of April?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure... I got mine from a game store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you post a picture so that it can be admired by those of us who won't be able to get our hands on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.