Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave T
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

The wife loves the original Ticket to Ride and the 1910 and Alvin & Dexter expansions, and I would like to get her another version for Christmas.

The game will most likely be played by 2 or 3 players, so I am leaning towards Europe or Nordic Countries.

Which of those would you recommend? Or would you go with a different version instead?

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out; I appreciate it!

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends if you're competitive TtR players, or just sort of casual about it. If you like blocking each other and don't mind aggressive play, Nordic Countries is what you want. Europe is okay with two (better using the big cities variant from the expansion), but not very cutthroat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
It depends if you're competitive TtR players, or just sort of casual about it. If you like blocking each other and don't mind aggressive play, Nordic Countries is what you want. Europe is okay with two (better using the big cities variant from the expansion), but not very cutthroat.

Yep, get Nordic Countries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Switzerland board is also designed specifically for 2-3 players. It can be a little tight but it's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trowbd wrote:
Hello all,

The wife loves the original Ticket to Ride and the 1910 and Alvin & Dexter expansions, and I would like to get her another version for Christmas.

The game will most likely be played by 2 or 3 players, so I am leaning towards Europe or Nordic Countries.

Which of those would you recommend? Or would you go with a different version instead?

Dave

i suggest Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 – India & Switzerland as my 1st choice, with Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries being my 2nd.

Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 – India & Switzerland is cheaper, plus it gives you 2 maps. IMO, the only reason to get Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries is if you don't own any of the base sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan c marquez
Mexico
ZAPOPAN
JALISCO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
trowbd wrote:
Hello all,

Dave

i suggest Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 – India & Switzerland as my 1st choice, with Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries being my 2nd.

Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 – India & Switzerland is cheaper, plus it gives you 2 maps. IMO, the only reason to get Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries is if you don't own any of the base sets.

+1 India/Switzerland expansion! Both are great 2p. EAch map feels different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Goss
United States
Upland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemarquez wrote:
abe18 wrote:
trowbd wrote:
Hello all,

Dave

+1 India/Switzerland expansion! Both are great 2p. EAch map feels different.

+1 Switzerland is the best map by far for 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a Christmas present, you should get Nordic. The trains on the train cards have snow on them!

Nordic is also my favorite board for 2-3 players. But there's a lot of blocking! If you don't like blocking, you won't like Nordic. In the first game with my wife, I completely boxed her in on one corner of the board so that it was impossible for her to complete her tickets. Nordic didn't get played for a long time after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Nordic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin
United States
Southern Illinois
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 – India & Switzerland. You get two new maps to play on and it costs less than Nordic Countries!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
trowbd wrote:
Hello all,

Dave

Nordic Countries if you want to find out if you're a serious TTR player or not. It can be freakin' brutal.

Basically there are, I think 2 red routes. Maybe 3. One of the two red routes is 8 in length, and can maybe win you the game if you're feeling brave enough to try to do it.

This creates a dynamic in TTR that just isn't found anywhere else: depending on your plan, red cards are either worthless, or worth everything.

...and that makes this particular set so much more.

If your wife's favorite colors are purple or white, this is also a must-get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
One thing to keep in mind is that since you already have TTR: USA, it's cheaper to get the Map Collection Volume 2 with Switzerland and India in it than to just get the Nordic Countries map, which is a stand alone game.

My girlfriend and I love playing TTR: USA with 1910 just the two of us. We also have the pass and play iOS maps for Europe and Switzerland, which we play while traveling. She enjoys all three for different reason. If your wife is more competitive, go with Nordic Countries. If she likes enough room so the two of you may not even cross paths, go with Europe. The Switzerland & India map collection is a great mix of both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Nordic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Nordic. It's awesome, but can be cutthroat. purpletrainwhitetrainblacktrain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also prefer TTR Nordic for 2 or 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Nordic and the India/Switzerland map.

My favorite 2-player map is Switzerland. The destination tickets and varieties of the routes are more interesting to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dariusz Leoniak
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For sure Nordic. Its best choice for 2 players. And Your wife will love the look of the map and cards. :-)

or if You are a big fan of little trains get Marklin edition. Every card is different little masterpiece (and the game works good also for 2 players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nordic - all the way.
Plus, the theme fits perfect for a Christmas gift.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave T
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for the helpful replies, everyone! I grabbed Nordic to start with, as the snow and such really helps with the Christmas theme.

I have plans to grab the others for her birthday, so she should be in TTR up to her elbows before too long.

Much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first choice should be Ticket to Ride: Switzerland.
This is now also available in the newest expansionTicket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 – India & Switzerland.
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries also sounds like a very good idea, although I do not own it... I missed that one:(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Nordic as a 2-3 player recommendation. It is tight enough to give you a tense experience, as in 'do I grab that card I need, or do I lay track for that route before my opponent does?'.

The snow cards are fun for the holidays also, and you can of course use them with any other maps as well.

Europe is too open for 2-3 IMHO but we play it that way occasionally, when we want a more casual game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.