Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » News

Subject: Update: Lair of the Wyrm: Hidden Treasures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M ofthet
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the latest update on the upcoming Descent 2nd Edition Expansion: Lair of the Wrym.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3768



I like the idea of secret passages!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea, but I wonder how often the heroes will choose to delve into these secret rooms. Normally, they have to maximize their actions toward winning a quest. I feel like taking a detour for this would only happen if the quest weren't a race of some sort, which most quests are. Or perhaps if the outcome were already determined (heroes were likely going to win or likely going to lose regardless).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, heroes who might still hold a chance of winning might get greedy and lose because of it. Also maybe some of the prizes will be so good that even after spending time to complete chamber they will be able to turn over the game(but the samples shown aren't that great).

Maybe Lair of the Wyrm quests will be less of a race, which would be nice change of pace

I can see heroes going in for rewards that could be useful later(draw 5 market cards and choose 1 seems tempting. Good chance to get something very expensive).

This also will be very tempting for players where heroes steamroll overlord, possibly working as autobalancing measure.

And for any team getting this in 1st blood will be very tempting as it's "Juuust sooo eaaasyyy" for heroes.

Obviously getting in when the match is already determined is always an option too...

Anyway, getting new options is always good, it's still better than getting "Nothing" card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah ... there is no way the 'Nothing' card leave our deck ...
I may even go to far, but I think the Nothing is 'better' than the secret entrance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hankroyd wrote:
Yeah ... there is no way the 'Nothing' card leave our deck ...
I may even go to far, but I think the Nothing is 'better' than the secret entrance.


Why?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to guess that the Secret Entrance card is worth the same as the Nothing (zero), so either you ignore the secret entrance and it is essentially equivalent, or you use the secret entrance and risk losing the quest as a result. It's certainly a more interesting card than the Nothing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I like the idea, but I wonder how often the heroes will choose to delve into these secret rooms. Normally, they have to maximize their actions toward winning a quest. I feel like taking a detour for this would only happen if the quest weren't a race of some sort, which most quests are. Or perhaps if the outcome were already determined (heroes were likely going to win or likely going to lose regardless).


Depending on the advantage/disadvantage you recieve on losing the 1st Encounter of a quest, I could see myself being quite aggresive with secret rooms in 1st Encounters (if the rewards deck is worthwhile). Some encounter 1 reprecussions are less consequential than others.

Sometimes you read the writing on the wall in a quest, and decide to go for search tokens. Completing a secret room could be an effective way to balance the loss of the quest rewards.

I think I like the temptation too. And it is better than a nothing card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Hankroyd wrote:
Yeah ... there is no way the 'Nothing' card leave our deck ...
I may even go to far, but I think the Nothing is 'better' than the secret entrance.


Why?


Greed.
You have to 'search' at least 4 times in the secret room.

When you draw 'Nothing', it's done.
When you draw this, you may lose some turn for no tangible effect.

Unless the reward is really game-breaking, as a hero, I don't want to go there.

...

Of course I never playtested this, and that's just my first impression. I'll be very happy to go down here, if I'm proved wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hankroyd wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Hankroyd wrote:
Yeah ... there is no way the 'Nothing' card leave our deck ...
I may even go to far, but I think the Nothing is 'better' than the secret entrance.


Why?


Greed.
You have to 'search' at least 4 times in the secret room.

When you draw 'Nothing', it's done.
When you draw this, you may lose some turn for no tangible effect.

Unless the reward is really game-breaking, as a hero, I don't want to go there.

...

Of course I never playtested this, and that's just my first impression. I'll be very happy to go down here, if I'm proved wrong.


As I've said before, if you read the secret room cards, there are ways for the heroes to gain additional actions while searching them, meaning that they can complete the search in fewer than four ("real") actions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this interesting in the "But Wait!" box:

Quote:
At the start of each overlord turn in which a hero is in a secret room, the overlord may discard one challenge token or monster figure from the secret room. This way, the overlord can partially govern the time heroes spend in a secret room, if he wants to


I can't think of a situation where the overlord would want to make it faster/easier for you to complete the secret room. The longer you are in there, the more you are distracted from the encounter objective.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dustwhit wrote:

I can't think of a situation where the overlord would want to make it faster/easier for you to complete the secret room.


Pity ? Mercy ? Fair Play ?
Nah, just kidding.

However this is a very weird rule ... Maybe some rewards depends on the number of tokens really searched by the hero.
In that case, as a overlord, I would want to remove some of less : cut the time they spend here to lessen their reward ... other than that ...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Players might want to use special room as sanctuary. They might also get there to heal safely without monsters hitting them, 1HP player might try to hide there and wait for help. I can easily see players trying to abuse safety spot like this.

The worst offender would probably be "Use stamina move point to get out of there, shoot twice, get back into the room using stamina."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
Players might want to use special room as sanctuary. They might also get there to heal safely without monsters hitting them, 1HP player might try to hide there and wait for help. I can easily see players trying to abuse safety spot like this.

The worst offender would probably be "Use stamina move point to get out of there, shoot twice, get back into the room using stamina."


Well done, Rafal. hah, I didn't consider the rule that monsters cannot go in/leave from the secret room tile. I find that to be a humorous tactic, and a little cheezy, but probably futile in ultimately winning an encounter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.