United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brawling Brothers!
badge
Team Brandon!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the fence with this one, just how great is it? I haven't seen a terrible review yet, besides the quality of components being a tad flimsy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess I'll have to say it again:

It makes my tribble purr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
I call it a solid 8/10. As a "game" game, there are actually some balance issues - you can potentially be randomly dealt mission cards which combine with the location tiles you (randomly) placed nearby your CP to give you an early run-away lead, with your opponent(s) not being able to stop you. In addition, it can be a little on the long side. Some of the secret missions often make it possible to score points without the other side having any chance to prevent the points being scored, which I know is very annoying to some people (to me, to a certain degree).

For theme, if you are a Star Trek fan, there's nothing better to capture the general "feel" of the series and movies (well, other than the old FASA RPG, but that's a different kettle of fish).

People who don't like randomness will like it less, maybe bumping it down to a 6 or a 7. People who are super Trek fans and are willing to ignore the balance and randomness issues will rate it a 9 or a 10.

I am, confessedly, a fan of Star Trek, so I overlook some of the warts because it's just so dang cool to fly the Reliant into a battle with a Bird of Prey while the Nexus is bearing down on your sector and your away team on the planet below needs to be rescued.

How good is it? If you're only looking it as a "game"... it's fair to good, no better. If you're looking at it as an "experience", and you're a Trek fan, it's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the four main trek game out at the moment, STFC, ST Tactics, ST-DBG, ST-E, this has the best feel and is closest to theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:
Some of the secret missions often make it possible to score points without the other side having any chance to prevent the points being scored, which I know is very annoying to some people (to me, to a certain degree).

Transmission Interference rule introduced in the Romulan expansion can lessen this pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hillier
United States
Kettering
OH
flag msg tools
WDYPTW Podcast
badge
I am the wurst!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love having the ship models to move around. I don't like the click bases. Since the ship cards have the same info I picked up some pointer shaped clips to slide on the card so I can ignore the click bases. The other components are fairly average.

I agree with others - this game is more for Trek lovers than game lovers. Though I've played with no trekker/ies who liked it.

P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should mention, that with a larger, longer game, the randomness evens out and there's less chance of a "sprint to the finish" ending.

With the right combination of missions, ships and amenable locations, you can jump up to 5 to 7 points in the first two to four turns, so if it's a 10 point game, it can be over quickly.

15-20 point games give more time (and more ships) to stop/prevent a runaway win. That does entail a longer game, however, and some people are only looking for a two hour game (instead of a four to six hour marathon).

As with many games where randomness is a major factor, if you give more opportunities for the randomness to occur, the outliers cease to be game changers and a proper bell curve distribution shakes itself out.
Quote:

Transmission Interference rule introduced in the Romulan expansion can lessen this pain.

You're quite right, though it does feel mean-spirited to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:

You would make a poor Romulan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Kozure wrote:

You would make a poor Romulan.

I generally do very poorly when I have to play as a "bad guy", which is why I routinely get creamed at negotiation games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow_Tracker wrote:
how great is it? I haven't seen a terrible review yet

I think you answered your own question.

But seriously, if you're into Star Trek, it's great. You'll recognize a lot of the encounters and various cards. The bigger the fan of the theme you are, then the more you'll appreciate the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
Canada
flag msg tools
It's a decent 7/10ish game for me. It has a good Star Trek feel to it, but it's quite random, which I find does detract from the game.

If you are in it more for the feel than balance or deep tactical play, I'd rank it higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Holmes
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brawling Brothers!
badge
Team Brandon!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of randomness!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
Canada
flag msg tools
It may be the game for you, then!

I should clarify though, I'm usually cool with risks. Games where you can control the odds and then take a chance. Uncontrolled randomness I dislike, which I mostly qualify the location, mission, and encounter draws as.

But there are people who just flat out love the chaos, so this game is gonna be great for you if that's up your alley .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercutio Wycliffe
msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with the comment that it is a decent game, but an awesome experience. While the random elements can hurt the gameplay in terms of balance, it also enhances the theme. I mean, what is Star Trek without total randomness?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Holmes
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brawling Brothers!
badge
Team Brandon!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I broke down and bought the game, from the geek marketplace got a awesome deal on it(I think anyway) for 60.00 plus shipping. New in Shrink.
Bring on the Star Trek awesomeness!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sturk
Canada
flag msg tools
mb

I picked up the game on Sat. morning. We had a 4 player game that evening and from opening the box to the finish of the game, it took us about 5 hours.

I was on the Klingon side and my teammate and I got to 10 victory points fairly quickly. Oddly my 1st 5 missions were all green or yellow.

We decided as a group to continue playing to 16 points (even Klingons have feelings, we wanted them to enjoy themselves and kill more Fed. ships) and I have to say the Feds. seemed to perform very well once we were in the late game.

I give this game a solid 7 out of 10. It's not Twilight Imperium, but that's part of the reason I bought it, it seemed more laid back and more about the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow_Tracker wrote:
OK I broke down and bought the game, from the geek marketplace got a awesome deal on it(I think anyway) for 60.00 plus shipping. New in Shrink.

Whenever someone gets this get, new or used, I think required reading should be:Mysterio's Great Pictorial

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
Shadow_Tracker wrote:

Whenever someone gets this get, new or used, I think required reading should be:Mysterio's Great Pictorial

Paper clips on the ship cards and away we go. I can't read those little numbers and it's must convenient than constantly picking up the ships to read or click them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.