The Hotness
Games|People|Company
The Hotness has gone cold...
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Space Cadets» Forums » Rules

Subject: Engineering, is energy capped at 4 per station before or after distribution? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say that the Engineer goes nuts and generates five energy for a particular station. Only four is allowed per station, but could he convert two of them to a different station, and thereby still send the remaining three? Or does it get capped at four energy right away?

Cameron
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Capped at four right away. The fifth would be wasted.

Geoff
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks for the fast reply, Geoff!

Cameron
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
msg tools
mb
I have a question about energy. Some stations don't use them all per turn, like tractor beam or repair, do these stations get to keep their unused energy or do all stations reset and give their energy back at the end of the turn?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drevin wrote:
I have a question about energy. Some stations don't use them all per turn, like tractor beam or repair, do these stations get to keep their unused energy or do all stations reset and give their energy back at the end of the turn?


All energy is returned between turns.

Geoff
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
msg tools
mb
Sweet, thanks! I just got this game several days ago and am trying to figure it out. It's a lot of fun!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a related question-

Lets say im just awesome at engineering. Ive managed to get upwards of three energy per station. There are only 16 energy tokens in the game. Ive run out of tokens before ive even filled shields, going down the chart.

Is there a limit of 16 energy? If i manage to get more while filling out my puzzle, do some miss out if I fill others up? Or do I get to choose to supply a certain station with less than what ive accomplished in the puzzle?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
RhodesN7 wrote:
I have a related question-

Lets say im just awesome at engineering. Ive managed to get upwards of three energy per station. There are only 16 energy tokens in the game. Ive run out of tokens before ive even filled shields, going down the chart.

Is there a limit of 16 energy? If i manage to get more while filling out my puzzle, do some miss out if I fill others up? Or do I get to choose to supply a certain station with less than what ive accomplished in the puzzle?

We'll say that you cheated because only 15 is possible if you follow the rules.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/897309/engineering-optimizat...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a related question: What's the purpose of the Engineer chart, anyway? If you're handing out the energy capsules to each station, why do you need to have a spot for it on the Engineer's card?

Also, does the time limit include physically distributing the energy? In other words, if the engineer gets bogged down in trading/optimizing and doesn't get every capsule physically handed over to the appropriate player before the timer expires, is the energy lost? Or, can he/she hand it out after the timer goes off?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
Here's a related question: What's the purpose of the Engineer chart, anyway? If you're handing out the energy capsules to each station, why do you need to have a spot for it on the Engineer's card?

Also, does the time limit include physically distributing the energy? In other words, if the engineer gets bogged down in trading/optimizing and doesn't get every capsule physically handed over to the appropriate player before the timer expires, is the energy lost? Or, can he/she hand it out after the timer goes off?



Energy distribution is in phase 1 during the discussion. You have 3 minutes to hand out the energy, I think you should be fine.

When I always play, we leave the tokens on the engineering board just because of how much of a hassle it can become passing them around. Most of us know what we are doing on each station, and once it gets to jump drive, repair, or tractor beam then we can just all help them along and remember what they've used.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Entice wrote:
DavidT wrote:
Here's a related question: What's the purpose of the Engineer chart, anyway? If you're handing out the energy capsules to each station, why do you need to have a spot for it on the Engineer's card?

Also, does the time limit include physically distributing the energy? In other words, if the engineer gets bogged down in trading/optimizing and doesn't get every capsule physically handed over to the appropriate player before the timer expires, is the energy lost? Or, can he/she hand it out after the timer goes off?



Energy distribution is in phase 1 during the discussion. You have 3 minutes to hand out the energy, I think you should be fine.


Maybe we stink at making decisions, but we've easily run up against the 3-minute barrier a couple of times. It can get pretty hairy when three or four different stations are begging for energy and your ship is being held together by spit and duct tape.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lankyb wrote:
RhodesN7 wrote:
I have a related question-

Lets say im just awesome at engineering. Ive managed to get upwards of three energy per station. There are only 16 energy tokens in the game. Ive run out of tokens before ive even filled shields, going down the chart.

Is there a limit of 16 energy? If i manage to get more while filling out my puzzle, do some miss out if I fill others up? Or do I get to choose to supply a certain station with less than what ive accomplished in the puzzle?

We'll say that you cheated because only 15 is possible if you follow the rules.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/897309/engineering-optimizat...


Why yes, i guess i did!
I was using ALL of the engineering tiles, instead of the limit of 7.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.