Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You follow a game of his that you know you will never purchase!

I am a big fan of Stefan Feld! I am anxious to see how well his next game, Bora Bora, does! I think it is a lock to hit the BGG Top 100 and I am curious to see how high it will climb.

However, for theme/wife reasons, I know I will never own (or likely play) this game!

Is there anyone else out there like me who has done the same thing?

How would some of you finish the sentence stated in the subject line of this thread?

Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
However, for theme/wife reasons, I know I will never own (or likely play) this game!

Why is that ?

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other day my wife and I were discussing how many of our favorite games are by Vlaada Chvátil, and I actually told her "You know, if something happened to him, I think I'd break down crying." I don't cry. I never cry. And that would make me cry.

Mage Knight, Space Alert, Galaxy Trucker, Dungeon Lords, Dungeon Petz, Through the Ages... there is just no way one man should be able to create so many completely different and completely awesome games. He's my favorite designer and my wife's favorite designer, and especially after Mage Knight I can't wait to see what else he has in store for us. Stay healthy, Vlaada!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
CarlG wrote:

Why is that ?

Here we go again: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/147025
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks Curt! You saved me the hassle of trying to find that geeklist and than figuring out how to post a geeklist link in this thread! I don't want this thread to derail into that geeklist topic, I am more curious to hear of other peoples "you know your a fan of a designer when..." stories like Ethan's above!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
I don't want this thread to derail into that geeklist topic, I am more curious to hear of other peoples "you know your a fan of a designer when..." stories like Ethan's above!

But "that geeklist topic" is the only thing of substance in your original post. I mean, you're such a big fan of Feld that... you're curious how well his next game will do???

When you mention a specific highly anticipated game that you won't play, that looks like a perfectly family-friendly game, that's what gets attention, and obviously people are going to want to know why. I suspect the answer (from the description on the game's page) is "Three task cards in play provide some direction as to what players might want to do, while god tiles allow for special actions and rule-breaking, as gods are wont to do." Your wife will not play games with gods in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curt: I disagree that is the only thing of substance. You are right about the reason why I won't be getting Bora Bora, but what if the reason was NOT religious and had to do with game weight? As in I have come to realize that games above a weight of 3.1 would simply not get played and thus I planned to never buy them ever. The fact that I am still following the game, regardless of why, shows that I have moved from being a person that loves to play games, to a fan. Seriously, if I plan to never ever own or play a certain game, why would I follow it as a person that simply loves to play games? My realization is that I have moved into a realm that can only be described in terms of being a fan. This is similar to when people move from being boardgame players to collectors.

I am curious to hear how other people have come to this realization.

Ethan was a perfect example. To have such a strong emotional response to a game designer also shows a move past simply being a game player to a fan.

I am sorry if this aspect wasn't evident in my original post. I guess maybe I need to flesh my thoughts out a bit more to communicate better(I can also err on the side of being long-winded so I tend to try to err on the side of being too short than to long). sorry for any confusion

Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.