Jay Noble
United Kingdom
Newbury
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've been lurking on the site for a while trying to find what I'm after, and finally registered to hopefully get some advice. I'm pretty new to gaming, and am looking to get a couple of friends involved. The problem I have is that whilst I like games such as Last Night on Earth they have low attention spans and a reluctance to play anything where explaining the rules takes more than a minute or two!... They consider stuff like Magic as 'extremely dull'!

So, I'm looking for some games for 2+ players that are:

- Fast paced (anything from a few minutes per round / game up to 60mins or so)
- Easy to pick up, but not too concerned with complexity level
- Competitive or Co-Op
- The most important thing is that ideally the competitive games will have a high level of cut-throat screwing over the opponent
- One-off purchase (no deck building TCG type stuff - but expansions are OK)
- Theme doesn't really matter, Sci-Fi, fantasy, horror, it's all good
- Must be suitable for 2 players, but can scale to 4+
- Don't mind format - dice, card, board etc

The kind of games I have been looking at are:
Zombie Dice (fast paced and could be made into a drinking game)
Muchkin (although I notice it is 3 players+)
King of Tokyo (although seems geared towards 3 / 4+ players)

I have also played the following on iPad and liked them a lot, but wondering if they are worth buying the board games:
Small World (really like this game!)
Elder Signs
Ticket to Ride
Forbidden Island

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner - Cut-throat cat and mouse game where you probe defenses with the runner, and try to sucker the runner into a trap or stone-wall him out as the Corp. Very awesome, fast-paced, 2 player only.

Forbidden Island is decent (especially for the price) but I prefer Flash Point: Fire Rescue for that type of Coop.

Gauntlet of Fools was decent 2 player and is fast-paced (plays like a better Munchkin)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think all four games that you've played on the iPad could work for you. Of the list, I think Small World has the most rules, but you being familiar with the game will help. If you like Forbidden Island and want to change it up just a bit, you could get Pandemic instead.

Tsuro plays in about 20 minutes, and plays up to 8 players. You're trying to make your opponents go off the board while you stay on the board, last one standing wins. It plays with 2, though is better with more.

Guillotine is 2-5 players, and is both humorous and a bit cut-throat. Might fit well for you.

Monopoly Deal plays 2-5, and is better than you might think. You can steal property from opponents, and making them pay rent or other fines can cause them to hand over their property.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you should be looking for new players more than new games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Sounds like you should be looking for new players more than new games!

This.

Android Netrunner has a high learning curve, especially for those that find Magic "dull"

Escape: The Curse of the Temple is fast paced, easy rules, high interaction, and realtime (timer is a CD track). If King of Tokyo is the best dicerolling competitive filler, this one is the best co-op version. I believe it also works with 2, whereas KoT suffers somewhat in that department (otherwise I'd tell you that either one works for fast fun accessible play).

Innovation is an amazing, fun, tense, interactive game. Best with 2, not bad with 3, 4 works with the team variant. The rules are easy... I defer you to Shut Up and Sit Down's description of it:

http://www.shutupshow.com/post/37091897869/review-innovation
Quote:
So let’s talk you through your first match!

5 Minutes In:

You: OK. Wait. So I can draw a card, and then place it? Like… this? I don’t get this at all.

10 Minutes In:

You: Hang on. How do I actually win?

Me: I told you! You have to get points.

You: How do I get points?

Me: Some innovations let you earn points.

You: WHERE ARE THOSE INNOVATIONS

Me: WE’RE IN THE STONE AGE RIGHT NOW. THERE IS NO CONCEPT OF POINTS.

You: I don’t get this AT ALL

15 Minutes In:

You: This card says it lets me splay. What does that mean?

Me: It means you can build on your society’s legacy. You take one of your coloured stacks of innovations and fan it out, getting you all those icons.

You: But wait. If I do that, I have more commerce than anyone else, and… I can use Navigation to take some of your points.

Me: Uh-oh.

You: What stops me from doing that every single turn?

Me: …well, nothing.

40 Minutes In:

You: RIGHT suck on this I’m going to use Physics to claim three cards off of the Modern era—

Me: Jesus christ!

You: —and put them all in my hand and then Agriculture to put them all back and take two of yours—

Me: What?!

You: —which I’ll immediately meld with my red stack.

Me: Impossible!

*I flip the table, a fistfight breaks out*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Noble
United Kingdom
Newbury
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast responses. Some cool sounding games to look in to.

@Curt... Yeah, no kidding! But I'm determined to get them hooked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Pearson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Munchkin might be the right game to start with. I don't think the original is balanced all that well, though, so you might want to start with a different one.

Fluxx is simple, easy to teach, and mad cheap.

Forbidden Island is great, but there's no screwage, it's a co-op.

Citadels is great for multiple people, though it's a very different game with 2-3 as opposed to 4-5.

If you get a bigger group together, I highly recommend Resistance.

Hanabi is a great co-op that scales well, but doesn't really seem like it would be attractive to you?

Samurai is pretty easy to teach, and has a decent amount of strategy to it. In fact, I've ordered these (roughly) according to how "strategic" they are. However, I have successfully introduced potential gamers to the hobby from the top down, with really really really new gamers complaining about the complexity of Citadels/Resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moore
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Ticket to Ride and Small World are great choices, both are really easy to pick up. With the expansions for TTR, it plays well with any player count. Citadels is a good shout and can be had for very cheap. Plus it definitely has a lot of screwage.
I've only played King of Tokyo with 3+, I don't see it working well at all with 2. Last Night on Earth isn't too hard to pick up either, especially given the wide variety of scenarios.

A few more that I enjoy:
Stone Age
Ghost Stories
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Carcassonne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Archer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience Munchkins is pretty bad with two players and it never hits our table anymore. With 3 or 4 it can be enjoyable (although I find it to be too luck-based and long for my tastes).

My top light/medium 2-player games:
Tsuro - smooth and relaxing
Biblios - very simple setup and lots of opportunity for trickery
Nefarious - easy to learn and play, with a little depth and a lot of fun
Seasons - can be surprisingly fast with 2 players
Forbidden Island - better in person (I have the opposite opinion of TtR)
Carcassonne - Easy to learn and play

I'll also throw in the classic 2 player only games:
Jaipur
Lost Cities

Nefarious would probably be my top pick, but it's tough to find nowadays. Forbidden Island might be second but I don't know if it's good enough to warrant buying it again if you already have the iOS version.

So I'd go with Tsuro for Light games, Biblios or Carcassonne for Light-Medium games, and Seasons for Medium games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Carcassonne and Battle Line are my recommendations. Very easy to learn and teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jdoki wrote:
...I'm pretty new to gaming, and am looking to get a couple of friends involved. The problem I have is that whilst I like games such as Last Night on Earth they have low attention spans and a reluctance to play anything where explaining the rules takes more than a minute or two!... They consider stuff like Magic as 'extremely dull'!

So, I'm looking for some games for 2+ players that are:

- Fast paced (anything from a few minutes per round / game up to 60mins or so)
- Easy to pick up, but not too concerned with complexity level
- Competitive or Co-Op
- The most important thing is that ideally the competitive games will have a high level of cut-throat screwing over the opponent
- One-off purchase (no deck building TCG type stuff - but expansions are OK)
- Theme doesn't really matter, Sci-Fi, fantasy, horror, it's all good
- Must be suitable for 2 players, but can scale to 4+
- Don't mind format - dice, card, board etc

The kind of games I have been looking at are:
Zombie Dice (fast paced and could be made into a drinking game)
Muchkin (although I notice it is 3 players+)
King of Tokyo (although seems geared towards 3 / 4+ players)

I have also played the following on iPad and liked them a lot, but wondering if they are worth buying the board games:
Small World (really like this game!)
Elder Signs
Ticket to Ride
Forbidden Island

Thanks in advance!

Dominion -- it isn't a TCG. The entire game is about "deck building" ... but if your friends don't like that, just call it "kingdom building ... where your kingdom are the cards you put into the deck." There's not a lot of "screwage" ... but I think there are expansion that give you more player interactivity. This is one of the games that is a hit with my wife because we actually don't play the "screwage" cards; she likes indirect competition. It's very easy to teach.

+1 for Ticket to Ride and Forbidden Island

+1 also for Carcassonne

And as long as we're at it, I'd suggest Settlers of Catan.

Those 5 games are essentially on my list of Gateway Games -- games used to introduce non-gamers to the hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke McCarthy
United States
Randolph
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 de Mayo - fun quick war-game feel, but with much less time and rules overhead

Haggis - great trick-taking game, like Tichu, but for 2 or 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamille
Germany
Berlin
F/hain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jdoki wrote:

Domaine expanding into opponents territory always brings a deep "muuahahha" over the table

Carolus Magnus a single moment of inattention can really break your neck

+1 for 2 de Mayo special and asymetric with historic background but only for 2 player.

greets hessi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Earl
Thailand
Koh Samui
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Carcassonne seems like a safe bet for your players, it's almost pick-up and play, and addictive to boot.

Also +1 for Jaipur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Christiansen
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first recommendation would be Castle Panic lots of fun
Ticket to Ride is one of my Favorites and a definite must have
and my boyfriend an I play Elder Signs constantly
Carcassonne is definitely a must have for quick light fun
Small World is also very enjoyable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Noble
United Kingdom
Newbury
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. A quick count reveals almost 40 recommendations!! But at least that's narrowed things down from every board game on sale!!

I like the look of Citadels, Pandemic, Fluxx, Gauntlet of Fools, Innovation, Last Night on Earth and a few others - but I'll be doing a lot more research. I ordered Small World to get us started.

Also interested by Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures... But could see that getting very expensive!

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.