Subject: Torchlight the Board Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Torchlight has always been my favorite rpgs. I know there are a million dungeon crawl board games and torchlight doesn't exactly stand out too much amongst all the other rpgs, but there are specific features I would love to see in a board game. For example,

Medium fantasy, not too dark, but not comical
Pets,..that have multiple uses in game, combat, carrying
Simple combat, quickly resolved, multiple enemies to get the hack and slash feel...
Classes that all play differently
Random dungeons with tons of items..
Single player with no dungeon master

I'm sure there are games that have most of these features, any that have all? If not, I'd like to give it a go. I'd love input or opinions though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Pets are the only thing that stands out as that unique. Though some dungeon crawlers do let certain heros has an animal ally/pet; the whole returning to town to sell items is a new twist but a mechanic that I'm not sure would work in a board game. RPGs do loot and shoppeing better IMO.

I can't think of any single game that offers all of these. Though:
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Claustrophobia
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game or the other two in the series.

Are all worth a look.

Remember to be careful to avoid infringing on someone else's IP. You can be heavily influenced just avoid names/images or other direct links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yea I own all of those games actually I think the art style/theme is really what makes torchlight stand out..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of any that exactly fit your requirements, but you're pretty much right, even if you had this all together there's nothing that stands out about it.

Closest I can name is the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games, which may be a little "too dark" and I'm not sure if any of the games in the series have included pets. It is one of the only few fantasy dungeon crawls that can be solo'd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herogamer wrote:
Yea I own all of those games actually I think the art style/theme is really what makes torchlight stand out..

What is it about the art style or theme that makes it stand out? I haven't played it yet, but it looked not much different than Diablo or Dungeon Siege.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Desco wrote:
herogamer wrote:

What is it about the art style or theme that makes it stand out? I haven't played it yet, but it looked not much different than Diablo or Dungeon Siege.

I think its the bulkiness and brighter colors, it makes the game very friendly. I think torchlight is much more inviting to new rpg players. That was my idea behind a board game was a "lighter" dungeon crawl that will help draw in new players. There are lighter more humorous ones but I think those prevent players from wanting to explore higher fantasy games... I don't know if that makes sense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herogamer wrote:
I think its the bulkiness and brighter colors, it makes the game very friendly. I think torchlight is much more inviting to new rpg players. That was my idea behind a board game was a "lighter" dungeon crawl that will help draw in new players. There are lighter more humorous ones but I think those prevent players from wanting to explore higher fantasy games... I don't know if that makes sense...

So kinda like the World of Warcraft of single player dungeon crawls, eh?

Super Dungeon Explore, despite it's cartoony chibi-style anime appearance and simple rules, is quite an engaging dungeon crawl. Much in the way Final Fantasy is definitely anime-inspired, but is a serious RPG, Super Dungeon Explore often gets compared to Gauntlet, Diablo, Zelda, etc. It surely fits your ideas of bulkiness and brighter colors leading to gamer friendly, but it does require one person to be the DM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb

I hate to say it but kind of, visually at least. I'm still one of those insane gamers that believe WoW had and maybe still has the potential to be a great board game... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd consider Torchlight an updated version of Diablo 2 with cuter and better graphics and potentially aimed at a wider target market (When it comes to demographics).

It's made by two of the same designers of the Diablo games hence major similarities. This said torchlight is far more arcade based and makes Diablo 2 seem more strategic. Torchlight on normal is far too easy - it's also more forgiving in death than Diablo 2.

The failure to get multiplayer for torchlight was very significant, as I think in some ways Torchlight was better than Diablo 2 and with multiplayer would have been more successful. Certainly I'd say torchlight 2 has more than held it's own against Diablo 3 making it seem dull by comparison.

Sorry for deepening any derail. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Another thing that really made Torchlight appealing to me was the limited world. You were restricted to one town, one dungeon, Albeit multiple levels. To me it got me to dig into it more to make sure I didn't miss anything, and eliminated the sense of rush. This is of course all my taste, but Torchlight was the first computer rpg I really got into and i think its those features that did it. I think converted to a board game, it'd be a game to attract new players as well as entertain old ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quick Concept:

-Town location centered for quick travel back and forth to sell items and get new quests...
-Multiple dungeon levels for increasing difficulty so the characters could level and treasure could become more valuable
-Limited exploration with the circulating path...
-Spaces large enough to accommodate tokens representing encounters, therefore allowing for randomness throughout game play as encounters are defeated, new ones are discovered...

Torchlight feel?

Any input?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herogamer wrote:
To me it got me to dig into it more to make sure I didn't miss anything, and eliminated the sense of rush. This is of course all my taste

I think you might've just nailed it. Every dungeon crawl board game I've played (which is limited to Descent, the D&D games, Gears of War: The Board Game, Mansions of Madness and Mice and Mystics) has a mechanic that very forcefully pushes you to move forward. Either the DM gets a ton of power every turn, or there's an encounter card or other punishment for EVERY turn you don't move forward. Most dungeon crawl video games don't have that-- sure, every once in a while it'll throw in a random encounter monster, but it's not that serious of a threat.

herogamer wrote:
I'm still one of those insane gamers that believe WoW had and maybe still has the potential to be a great board game...

So since we're already on the topic of conversions and how to make them stand out, what is it about WoW that would make IT stand out against what I would consider similar already-existing options, say, Runebound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herogamer wrote:
Any input?

Beware the inevitable comparison to Talisman. But beyond just the shape, what you've done is take away the tactical positioning which is a hallmark of dungeon crawls. Unless of course you meant for each "space" in the rings to be a tile with multiple spaces on them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, runebound doesn't have classes. It has preexisting heroes which IMO makes it harder to get into the character and lessens re playability...

Also, there isn't much variety in game play.. it's essentially just killing monster after monster. I know it has skill challenges but they are simple dice rolls. While I understand in a board game it's hard to go beyond that, but how about something like:

- Travel to the deepest layer of the dungeon and find this item" Once you find it, destroy it using "this item" (you may have to buy it).

This requires the player to travel, explore, and use skill checks. While all of the above will provoke combat

All in all, I want a deeper, less rhythmic game play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is something satisfying out there.

You/we'll have to create it!

I see a hand-drawn (crayons, a little bit of PS-polishing), rather dark and simple modular board.

I see a worker placement mechanism (you'll have to control dummy players -> Dungeon Lords solo...or Lords of Waterdeep as source of inspiration) that helps breaking the usual "rush".

Of course, that's not the only mechanism the game has.

It just seems more meaningful to assign your characters to different places than to say "righty, no slashing this round. I'll just do NOTHING and recover with this lovely potion".

AND I see a torch. *AWESOME*!

Check my own idea here: Newest game concept: POISONED!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
herogamer wrote:

I'd call it half Saturday morning cartoon, half World of Warcraft. Bright colors, cartoonishly-proportioned characters.

Quote:

I hate to say it but kind of, visually at least.

Why? WoW's visual style is awesome. It may be a bit long in the teeth technologically speaking, but I prefer its look to all those games that try to look hyper realistic. WoW has personality.

Quote:
I'm still one of those insane gamers that believe WoW had and maybe still has the potential to be a great board game... whistle

World of Warcraft: The Boardgame was a great game, though unfortunately out of print. I really enjoyed its combat system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to try World of Warcraft: The Boardgame with my game group, as one of them owned it. I was so excited to get a chance to play it.

Then I ended up bored to tears and couldn't wait for it to end.

Honestly, though, it had a lot of really cool ideas. But while waiting for the other "team" to go, we were all on our cell phones/tablets/etc. just PRAYING for our turn to come again. I liked the combat and leveling aspect, as well as the questing. But the downtime and total playing time just killed the experience for me.

Oddly, though, Mage Knight didn't do that to me, and is one of my favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Desco wrote:
herogamer wrote:
Any input?

Beware the inevitable comparison to Talisman. But beyond just the shape, what you've done is take away the tactical positioning which is a hallmark of dungeon crawls. Unless of course you meant for each "space" in the rings to be a tile with multiple spaces on them...

The problem is, with tactical and turn by turn combat, encounters with multiple enemies are drawn out, thus not capturing the 'hack and slash' feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herogamer wrote:
Well, runebound doesn't have classes. It has preexisting heroes which IMO makes it harder to get into the character and lessens re playability...

Huh. While I agree with you that Runebound "there isn't much variety in game play", "it's essentially just killing monster after monster.", and that I find Runebound absolutely BORING and can't ever bring myself to play with it, I can't agree with pre-existing heroes make them harder to get into. All the major dungeon crawls I listed, Descent, D&D, Gears of War, Mansions of Madness, Mice and Mystics, etc. all have pre-made characters, and I and my group of gamers love how we can jokingly "get into character" and sometimes act the part in determining what action to take.

Case in point:
I played Steelhorns in one game of Descent:

(Bottom right)
While it doesn't say "Fighter" this guy is CLEARLY a tank, so I don't need a "class" to tell me how to play. And between his ramming ability, his appearance, and his flavor text on the back of the card, every time I used his ramming ability I'd put my head down and make the "I'm a charging ram" sound while rolling the dice-- all in good fun.

Contrast that to Defenders of the Realm (I know, not a dungeon crawl, but bear with me) which was billed as a cross between Pandemic and Arkham Horror with a medieval-fantasy theme. Sounds like a good idea. Then as the details came out, I saw this:

"Cleric". No name, no flavor text, just "CLERIC" along with the overly-cliche D&D-like busty-chick-with-gravity-defying-breasts artwork. (The other player cards are just as bad-- "Dwarf", "Sorceress", and "Rogue". The bad guy? "Gorgutt"! WTF why does HE get a name, while the player's characters are all reduced to cliche D&D character classes? I don't even like classes in RPGs, I think they're way too restrictive and remind me too much of playing AD&D 2nd edition in middle school. (Talk about repetitive "essentially just killing monster after monster" gaming-- ugh...)

This is a total turn-off. I was no longer excited about this game. So I whole-heartily disagree that pre-made characters in board games make them harder to get into. (Even video games are trending more towards playing pre-made characters rather than making your own from scratch.)

So yes, I agree that Runebound is a poor choice of example. But I don't know how you'd make a game to simulate the questing in WoW (traveling far in an overworld, exploring dungeons/cities/etc when you get there) in cardboard without having wayyyyy too many pieces and taking 8 hours to play one game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herogamer wrote:
The problem is, with tactical and turn by turn combat, encounters with multiple enemies are drawn out, thus not capturing the 'hack and slash' feel.

I think the D&D games most effectively capture the Nethack/Diablo hack-and-slash feel of all the dungeon crawl board games..

Just saying, remove the tactical turn-by-turn combat, and you no longer have a dungeon crawl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I suppose I was thinking of "Dungeon Crawl" more broadly than the actual board game category. I'm still proposing turn by turn combat, with some strategy involved. Just a more simple faster resolution. As far as Classes go, I understand both points. A class by itself is just a profession, with no character behind it. Perhaps the two can be mixed? "The Warrior" is the characters' acknowledged label, not by his professions, but by his personality, skill, and appearance. You are playing The Warrior, not You with a big sword and high HP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine with it as long as there's other ways to define the character. Giving the characters an easily identifiable one or two word description of their archetype is kinda the original intent of the class system. Hell, games like Arkham Horror and the Flying Frog games give every character a character-class-like subtitle that has absolutely no bearing on the game whatsoever:

And actually, gotta give credit to Wizkids, the D&D adventure games does this exactly right:

Name, class, followed by a 1 sentence flavor text just to give each character a little personality. Even Fantasy Flight puts all of the flavor text on the back of the player boards, completely hidden from view during the game. Strange that I would site the D&D board games as the best example use of character classes in board games when I credit the D&D RPG as what ruined the concept of character classes for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well I think I will have to reconsider the class thing. You have many valid points.

What about the map? Perhaps a modular board would be more appropriate for this idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Steshenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herogamer wrote:
Perhaps a modular board would be more appropriate for this idea?

For me games like Torchlight and Diablo are not about board, it's more about applying abilities on monsters. All micromanagement with dancing around, tactical flanking and dodging is unnecessary in boardgames because they are turn based. It should be more potions/abilities/gear/monsters management, imho. Especially if you want to keep amount of monsters per encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herogamer wrote:
Well I think I will have to reconsider the class thing. You have many valid points.

What about the map? Perhaps a modular board would be more appropriate for this idea?

My suggestions are heading into wrong directions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.